7 plus to 8 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by todd.kilby.7, Sep 13, 2017.

1. todd.kilby.7 macrumors newbie

Is anyone upgrading from 7 plus to the 8 plus? So far the only thing I like are the 25% better speakers. If it had a better battery I would definitely upgrade. If you are upgrading from the 7 plus, tell me why. I want to be talked into it.

2. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

The better speaker sounds good, but the phone is much heavier ( 7.13 oz vs 6.63 oz.) True Tone & Wireless charging doesn't matter to me if the phone is weighing down my pocket all the time. The "bionic" processor is just Apple BS for latest processor and won't make any difference in apps. The glass back requires a case to protect it & Apple care is more $ on this phone. Also the new 8 plus is $180 more since they don't offer the 128gb I need so I will NOT be upgrading..

3. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Nope. @That70sGAdawg spelled out many reasons why I will not either. The 7+ is heavier than I expected and really not comfortable in hand, plus that price point and I just gave Apple lots of money this Spring and Summer.

4. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

You want us to talk you in to spending money? How about you buy me a new car if you so eager to part with your money?

5. Imory macrumors 6502a

You regret getting the 7 Plus instead of the regular 7? Not sure what to get between the regular or the plus sized model.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I personally don't believe there are enough significant changes from the 7+ to the 8+. I like the idea that it has wireless charging capabilities, a glass backing and the A11 Bionic processor. But to me, I would rather have the iPhone X.

7. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

I really wanted to be thrilled this year, I'm not. I'm most likely keeping my 7+ until next year unless the X impresses me when I actually get a chance to fondle it. Lol. I'm thinking an Apple watch this year and not even wanting/needing LTE.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Im thinking about it. But I’ll probably have to see it in-stores first.

It’s definitely an incremental upgrade over my 7 plus, but upgrading iPhones is a hobby/luxury to me.

My holdups are some of the things @That70sGAdawg pointed out. I don’t care about wireless charging, I doubt that having a tru-tone screen will make a difference to me and it’s going to be half an ounce heavier.

All that means that for me, it has to have a very noticeable increase in performance. It has to be an absolute beast in the real world. Apple saying it’s “70% faster” doesn’t move the needle for me. I need to see it. If this is the case, then I’ll buy.

9. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Honestly, it depends on what you think you'll use. If you take a lot of photos/video, if you want a better and bigger screen etc. the + size. The only aspect of those features I use is the bigger screen, but the weight is a drag especially when watching movies or trying to write more than a short email.

I should have taken a better look at the SE frankly. My vision is the biggest sticking point, but for now, I am not doing anything as I gave Apple considerable money for products I do not use anywhere near as much as my iMac (if I land a job at a university where tuition is waived and I can attend school there, then I'll see the value from my 2017 purchases.)

10. Imory macrumors 6502a

I've had similar thoughts. I simply want the best camera with me (with regards to my budget) and while portrait mode does have its flaws, it seems like a neat feature that will come handy. However, the vast amount of picture taking I do happens on vacations, not really in everyday use. I do take photos weekly, but it's mostly used for utility, work and studies. You don't need portrait mode for that. I should also mention that I'm tired of the subpar resolution of the regular 6/7/8 since I genuinely find it to be inadequate for the price point. However, you point out the biggest flaw of the Plus size and that is its actual size. It's heavy, cumbersome, not as ergonomic as the regular one and simply inconvenient compared to its smaller sibling.

Still undecided and yes, I do realise how preposterous it sounds to have such a luxury issue, but we're in an Apple forum after all.

11. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

IMO There really is very little to commend the 8 over the 7 - maybe if the price was lower just because it is technically better, a year newer etc, but what they're charging for it is almost parody. The same price as the 7+ 128gb now gets you a 64gb 8, and if you want to jump up a storage tier you have to go 256gb for almost a grand. Ouch.

Still I can't complain as they've kept the 7 and given it a [smaller than usual, but hey] price cut so it's not like they're corraling people into paying more by raising the price of admission all of a sudden.

12. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Perhaps stick with the 7+ another year. Then when the 8+ goes down in price next year, get that? You have an amazingly amazing camera in the 7+. I suppose it comes down to, do you think the improvements in the 8+ camera are enough to warrant the upgrade? The 8+ is also heavier than the 7+ so if weight is an issue now, you may want to wait until the stores get the 8+ so you can test that too.

Part of the fun of being in an Apple forum is discussing "issues" like this. It's the thrill of new tech too. If I was in this situation and had to make a decision, I'd stick with what I have (the 7+.)

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your iPhone.

13. Imory macrumors 6502a

Oh I don't have a 7 Plus buddy. I use an iPhone 6...:p I genuinely don't know what to get. Doesn't seem like the 7 Plus will get Portrait lightning like the 8 Plus?

14. thecore762 macrumors 6502

So much like for this post, I have the 128 Gb 7+ Jet Black and Apple forcing us to go with either 64gb or 256 is stupid and petty, they are trying to burn a hole in our pockets, I am sure they gonna release a 128GB version next year, this year was a sad year.

The 8+ is not a big upgrade, if they would have added the Apple ProMotion like they did with the new iPads I might have considered it, but I will skip this year and wait out for next year when they start integrating the ProMotion features to their devices. The iPad works so smooth with the feature too.

I think it would be a waste of money to upgrade to the 8+ if you have a 7+, now if you have a 6 or 6S+ then it might be worth the upgrade.

15. woozor1 macrumors regular

I have considered it as I am on an annual upgrade plan but I would rather have the 8x tbh. Just the fact its not due till november "then god knows how long we may wait if stock is low" I just am undecided what iwant to do tbh.

The 8+ doesnt seem much of an upgrade to me over my 7+. Ill wait till the reviews roll out and make a decision though. Kinda annoying they didnt add the portrate mode front camera to that 8 plus also.

16. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Oops... I knew you had a 6. :p

is the portrait lighting due to the tech inside the 8+? It seems like this is pretty important to you, so perhaps the 8+.

17. Imory macrumors 6502a

Well who knows how good it is. It's in beta. Which btw seems to be a new habit of Apple to essentially release features in beta? I guess I should try out the 7 Plus in a store and see how it feels in terms of size.

18. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I just received my 7 plus and I thought it would be really big and slippery from what i heard. My hands are not very big but I have no problem using it.

19. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Nope. Just not enough to justify the cost and hassle of doing so..

20. kougra6541 macrumors regular

I'm upgrading from my 7plus to the 8plus!

I signed up for the IUP so I could always have the new phone each year, so I might as well take advantage of it! I just couldn't justify the jump in cost to go to the X when I'm sure there will be issues to be fixed for next years model!

21. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

is there anyone out like that me that feels like they have to wait until next yr for the X+

22. cleebrown93 macrumors regular

I just upgraded to the 7 Plus Product Red 128 since the price went down and the 8 Plus only has 64 and 256 options. I am will be waiting until next year for the 8S or the next X. Whatever they decide to do.

23. Moontouched macrumors member

Moontouched

I am going to only because I guess I enjoy having a newer model every year, but not enough to want to make the price jump to the X just yet. I have an iPhone 7+ 256GB and I think will get the 8+ 256GB. But then again maybe I should wait and just go with the X hahahaha

24. Keenanryan14 macrumors member

Keenanryan14

I'm going to the 8 + from 7+ and then hope next year the release a x+ as I like a bigger phone . Also not really willing to give up the home button and Touch ID

25. HBOC macrumors 68020

i upgraded to the 7 plus in june after realizing that it wouldn't be a crazy upgrade from the 7 plus (seems only every 3 years it is a worthwhile upgrade), the cost would be more, and also realistically it wouldn't be readily available until probably december or longer.

still don't regret my decision. I don't use my phone as a computer or my main camera. so for my needs i am happy currently, as is my wallet