Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Im pretty sure they now use Hynix RAM
Heh cant get much more generic than Hynix. I dont think they even sell retail, they strictly sell ram to OEM manufacturers like video card and Dell/Apple companies. Same with Samsung. They arent bad, just good enough to work as specified, if you put them in a PC and overclocked them by just 1mhz I bet the computer wouldnt start.

OCZ and Corsair are probably the best, OCZ being the ultimate performance ram. G Skill is great too, they are a new company and have some of the lowest prices for high performance ram.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I am not very knowledgeable about hardware, but I imagine even between two equally rated RAM modules, there may be performance differences.

Nope, like a few people already mentioned, the performance of RAM modules is defined (almost purely) by the number in their name. All DDR-667 ram is exactly the same speed. More expensive ram is only more expensive because it can run at higher frequencies (most important for overclocking) and because it can run with lower timings (lower is better, but apple machines have them set high enough for basically any ram to work so you shouldn't worry about it at all).

Simply buy the cheapest SODIMM DDR667 memory you can get, aside from that your only concern should be module capacity and perhaps warranty time. They will all run at identical speeds.

I bought 2x1GB modules for my macbook a couple of months ago for 70 euros (about 100 dollars now, don't know how much the conversion rate was back then, closer to 90 dollars prolly).

FSB has nothing to do with memory bandwidth. Speak to Intel, they provide the 965PM chipsets. Santa Rosa will only run memory up to 667MHz, even if you put 800MHz modules in.
I think cervaro didn't mean it was Apple's fault, he was simply trying to say that upping the FSB doesn't improve performance much if the memory speed isn't increased too. Although modern systems can of course run at such asymmetrical frequencies without problems, performance is usually best if your FSB and memory frequency are identical.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
if you put them in a PC and overclocked them by just 1mhz I bet the computer wouldnt start.

OCZ and Corsair are probably the best, OCZ being the ultimate performance ram. G Skill is great too, they are a new company and have some of the lowest prices for high performance ram.

^ Which is almost entirely irrelevant on any Mac.
It simply doesn't matter if the RAM in a Mac can be overclocked. What matters is the corrrect spec, a quality build of module, no heatspreaders, and correctly configured SPD values.

Fortunately, Intel Macs are happy with most decent generic DDR2-667 SODIMMs (unlike G3/4/5 Macs some of which had violent reactions to PC RAM that was not 100% correctly configured). If you're adventurous, you can try out different brands that are on sale. If you'd rather not take the small (but present) risk of incompatibility or substandard RAM (and the time and cost of shipping, replacements and refunds) then go with a reputable seller who guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, and offers a no-cost (no restocking, no shipping charge) return if it doesn't work.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Just got 4GB from OWC... MBP SR 2.4... WOWEE!!

Just got 4GB from OWC for my 2.4 SR MBP... took 10minutes to put in (See p.35+ in SR MBP manual) I paid $210.00 plus Shipping... now down to $199.00!! :eek:

Wow... the window Refresh Rate/ Hot Corners Hide/ General speed very noticeable... I am sure I'll see other things as I go.... OFF TO PLAY NOW!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.