700$ good offer for 1st gen iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oftheheavens, Jul 24, 2008.

1. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i put my 1st gen iphone up for grabs on ebay and got two offers for 600$ and one for 700$. there is still a day left on the auction, should i wait it out or just take the 700$?

2. CyberGreg macrumors regular

Let the auction finish so you can process the sale through eBay. Once you go outside, prepare to be scammed... just my thoughts

Remember: "If it sounds to good to be true..." :cool:

I have my third iPhone on eBay now and have found it all comes down to the last three hours. Hopefully your auction ends soon, if not I would cancel it and put up a one day. At some point the demand for 1st gen iPhones is going to taper off and so will the high prices they are getting on eBay. I'm already seeing this with new 3G iPhones, they dropped about $50 - $75 overall in the past day.

PS I'm seeing 1st gen 8gb iPhones going for closing $390 - $430 so $600 and $700 sure sounds too high even for a 16gb.

3. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

if it was me.
    itd take $700

4. Necco macrumors member

Wait it out. Who knows who might come along and offer you 800 on the last day. You never know :)

5. cause.solution macrumors newbie

6. jizwood1 macrumors member

7. mark34 macrumors 6502a

why, oh why oh why would someone pay that much for a phone that, while awesome, is mildly inferior to a brand new phone available for much less. Don't give me this, "oh the aluminum back", since now that the 3G phone is out we all know it isn't "BUDGET" (ha, where is that troll now anyway?)

8. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

HUH 700 ?? Mine is up there now with 2 Vaja cases, Incase, DLO case, Invisible Shield and the iphone is a 16G and its at 450 with no bids. How the heck did you get that much for your s ? i need some tips :)

9. cause.solution macrumors newbie

so the iphone i saw for £620 went and sold for £1,020!!!

10. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

If they want to pay that much then tell them to bid that much. You're not protected by eBay or Paypal if you decided to sell it separate from their site or within their policy and there are plenty of ways to be scammed unexpectedly if you're not careful.

11. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

12. cause.solution macrumors newbie

richxps, the main thing i'd improve on yours is the picture if you can..

maybe fill out the item specifics a little more.

13. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

he wants to do it through paypal so no worries there. I will hear from him in a few hours though, on Japan time so here so...

o and i don't know about pointers, i just put it up with a few pics and a crappy definition.

14. mac'inmama macrumors regular

If someone is offering you that much for your 1st gen iPhone AND they want you to end the auction early and sell to them directly, they're scamming. You see it all the time. Like the previous poster said "if it's too good to be true...". If they would really pay that much, they will bid that much. If anyone offers to pay you for it any way but Paypal, don't do it. Also, you can put a BUY IT NOW with IMMEDIATE payment on your auction and I suggest that. The first time I listed my item, someone did BIN, but I didn't have it for immediate payment and they never paid. It was 10 days before I could list it an unpaid item and relist it. That sucked.

15. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

THanks mac'inmama i will try and update it, if it allows me to at this point only 1 day left.
    Thanks

16. mac'inmama macrumors regular

Well since you asked, take it for what it's worth, but I've been ebaying for over 10 years and with almost 800 feedback. I've seen it all. I also have sold 2 iPhones on ebay this year. This is all constructive.

I know you don't want to let it go for less, but IMO, a starting bid of $450 is too high. Surely it will surpass that, but people don't want to start there. I'd lower it about $100. I think the first few bids will take it up to where you're trying to start now, then you'll get a bidding war. People want to feel like they are getting a deal. Then they will realize that they won't get it cheaper elsewhere and they'll start bidding away. Starting price is the "hook".

Just for fun, I always add a Buy it Now, like I mentioned previously, but that is personal preference of course.

I'd mention a few things: That it is still covered under Apple warranty. That it is not unlocked, but would be simple enough for someone to do. And honestly, I know you're being serious, and I know that it's irritating to have "USA ONLY" in your auction and have people ask, but I might reword it to "please do not ask me to ship internationally, I will only ship to the USA"...sounds more professional IMO--but again, take it for what it's worth to ya.

Some of the grammar and stuff is off, and I always notice it in listings, but a lot of people don't. Perception is everything unfortunately. I agree that you definitely want to redo your photo. Everything is blurry.

Hope that helps. Also hope you take it for what it is, constructive criticism.

17. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

I do appreciate that advise.

I did rush the listing, i think if it does not sell this time around i will create a new listing with some of the tips you given.
    I guess if i spend a little more time with these things it would work out for the best.

Thanks again.

18. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

If their shipping information isn't "Confirmed" then as soon as you ship the product, they can dispute their purchase and Paypal will reward their money back to them because you were not protected.

19. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

If you can get that much for it, then by all means do... that's more than what the original 8GB cost when it first came out a year ago.

But if the eBay bidders were smart, they'd hold out and keep looking like I did myself - Link!

Here's a search term in eBay if you want to compare to the prices that other iPhones are selling at, I narrowed it down because of the crap results that come up.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

NEVER accept an offer to end an auction early. If the interested buyer wants it that bad, they can bid like everyone else. If they really need it now, there are plenty of other iPhones on eBay whose auctions are ending sooner.

The ONLY reason someone would want you to end an auction early is because they want to scam you, and want to do it quickly and with little traceability. Especially in this case where iPhones are flooding eBay right now, and there's an iPhone auction ending practically every five minutes, and usually lower than $700. If there were few or no other auctions going on, then MAYBE an early-end side deal might be valid. But for this? I'd be really suspicious.

21. iscripter macrumors member

iscripter

You really need to fix the picture. That picture you have now is horrible. I would also have multiple pictures of the iphone and accessories. Especially good close up pictures of the iPhone itself. I mean think about it would you pay $450 for something you could only see a blurry picture of. There is no way to tell if the screen is scratched or what condition the iPhone is in.
    I recently sold my 1st Gen iPhone on ebay for $400.

My Ebay iphone auction

Also I would remove the invisible shield and what ever screen protector you have on the iPhone before you take the pictures so people can see that you are not trying to hide scratches on the iPhone.

22. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Ah this is more good info. I will do that as well.

I think i will be re listing this item with all the good info found here.

This time i will put some time into it and take a better picture.

Thanks for all your feedback.

What do you think all of this is worth ? would i still get about 450 + for it ? Should i sell the phone seperated than the cases etc ?

23. mac'inmama macrumors regular

You shouldn't have any problem getting more than that for it. I sold my 1st gen 8 gig a couple of weeks ago for $350. I could have probably gotten a *little* more, but I had a low BIN.

I would post ONE case with it and post the other one (whichever will fetch more $$ on its own) in a separate auction.

Again...MY opinions.

24. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Also, jailbreak an unlock it. Make sure you make a big deal over it being unlocked, thats where the resale value is at. These phones aren't being sold to people who have the iPhone available in their countries, so they are paying a premium so they can use it on their network.

25. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I sold my 6 month old 8GB for more than I paid for it :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180251481784

Your auction has HUGE readability problems. I also suggest NOT having a starting bid of $450. I started mine at 99 cents. No one is going to buy an iPhone for $20, it hasnt happened yet to any of the other 2 million people selling iPhones on eBay.