Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Students pursuing higher education prefer to use Macs over PCs, according to new data shared today by Apple device management company Jamf.

71 percent of students surveyed said they would either use a Mac or prefer to use a Mac if cost were not a consideration. At the current time, of those students, 40 percent use a Mac and 60 percent use a PC. 51 percent of current PC users would rather be using a Mac.

studentsmacvspcpreference.jpg

70 percent of students surveyed said they would choose or stay with an organization that offered a choice between Mac and PC. 78 percent of students said that it's important for employers to offer their employees a choice between PC and Mac.

Students who said they preferred Mac over PCs offered up several different reasons. 59 percent cited ease of use, 57 percent cited durability, and 49 cited synchronization over other devices. 64 percent said they "like the brand," while 60 percent preferred the style and design of the Mac.

Among those who said they preferred PCs, the only dominant factor in the decision was price.

studentsmacvspcreasons.jpg

43 percent of students using a PC said that the Mac provides the greatest value despite its higher price point, while 80 percent of Mac users said that the Mac offers a better value. 83 percent of students currently using a Mac said they want to continue using Macs in their workplaces.
"Employers are looking for top talent in a competitive job market. Providing workers with the tools they know and love is a key way to attract, retain and empower them to be their most productive," said Dean Hager, CEO, Jamf. "The next generation of job seekers wants their tech to just work so that they can focus on their job. They see Mac as more modern, intuitive and reliable - and would like to continue to use it as they launch their careers."
Jamf's survey, conducted by Vanson Bourne, is based on responses from 2,244 current college and university students across five countries.

Article Link: 71% of College Students Prefer Macs Over PCs According to Jamf Survey

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds to me like there's an enormous potential market that Apple is totally failing to address right now.

I'm curious how much they'd need to bring down prices to capture a notable portion of that market?

There's also the question... if price is your greatest concern, why not just buy a 2-3 year old Mac on eBay? It's not like they're radically different now...

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Sounds to me like there's an enormous potential market that Apple is totally failing to address right now.

I'm curious how much they'd need to bring down prices to capture a notable portion of that market?

There's also the question... if price is your greatest concern, why not just buy a 2-3 year old Mac on eBay? It's not like they're radically different now...

Because it will soon be out of the keyboard repair programme? I've bought Macs new and second-hand, and have enjoyed both. But I would be worried about buying an Apple laptop (many students want the portability, and don't have the space for a desktop) second-hand post-2015 vintage.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Users have loved the Mac for decades. I came to Apple because of the Mac, and I hope I won't have to leave because of the Mac. It's Apple that's turned it into a shadow of its former self, and still the Mac brand is persevering.

I hope there will be a reversal. But after years of fruitlessly waiting for Tim to deliver his fantastical "pipeline", the hope is gone dry. The only thing that keeps OSX alive in the minds of users is that despite their great strides, Windows is still a worse experience in comparison.

As it is, I cannot recommend in good conscience a Mac to anyone.

Last edited:

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
Macs are good if you like A/V crap. If you like workflows for productivity and creativity. But other than that they are expensive toys with a shiny logo. As a rising Twitch streamer/celebrity a Mac is useless. PC is so much better and cheaper. I can emulate games and achieve 120 FPS in RE2. Mac can barely play BioShock 1.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Not true. Users can “like the brand” due to it’s ease of use, reliability, syncing with their iPhone, etc. (Multiple answers were permitted.) That doesn’t mean they prefer it just because of the logo.

Exactly. My anecdotal experience leads me to believe that Apple brand cachet is the driven by the iPhone.

But your point is fair enough, and we're talking about the Mac here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.