72% of Enterprise Employees Choose Macs Over PCs, 75% Pick iOS Devices Over Android

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Among enterprise organizations that allow employees to choose their equipment of choice, Apple is becoming an increasingly popular choice, according to new survey information shared this morning by Apple IT management platform Jamf.

52 percent of enterprise organizations let employees choose their computers, while 49 percent let employees choose their mobile devices.

[​IMG]

Of those organizations, 72 percent of employees included in Jamf's survey chose Mac, while 28 percent chose PC. As for mobile devices, 75 percent of respondents chose an iPhone or an iPad, while just 25 percent opted for an Android device.

[​IMG]

According to employees, the ability to choose their operating systems and devices of choice makes them more productive. 68 percent said choice improves productivity, and 77 percent said they're more likely to stay with a company that offers device choice.
    Jamf's survey was conducted in March of 2018 and includes responses from 580 executives, managers, and IT professionals from organizations around the world.

Article Link: 72% of Enterprise Employees Choose Macs Over PCs, 75% Pick iOS Devices Over Android

2. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

I was given the choice of an iPhone 8 or a Samsung S9. Went with the sammy.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

Coming from a company that sells Mac management software, I think the result is expected. The sample size is extremely small too.

Why not ask employees directly rather than ask what managers believe the employees think?

4. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Indeed that's what I was thinking, in real world I have hardly ever seen any of my Suppliers. if this was to be true then the Mac footprint would be more larger than it currently is.

5. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Usually only mom and pop shops allow you to choose but large enterprises are predominately Windows and Linux in most major industries. Occasionally, software development or media departments might be more Mac focused.

6. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

That is possibly Cook's greatest achievement: how he turned the iPhone and Mac into a standard (or at least a viable option) in enterprise/professional services environments that wouldn't dare budge from Lenovos and Blackberries.

I would have been much happier if the devices themselves were also up to par. The 2016 MBP redesign has been a total disappointment for pretty much all of my (design/dev) colleagues, with major quality issues, impaired connectivity and workflow setbacks.

7. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

As has already been said, it was a poorly conducted survey. Also despite the lack of reference to the actual study, it was performed by JAMF, a company that sells enterprise device management solutions for Macs and iOS devices. A little biased considering all they published was a couple of conclusions. If they asked their own customers, there's already a huge selection bias that invalidates the study. From the final paragraph, it sounds like they asked their own contacts at their own customers. Let's see a link to how they explain their result?

It would be like take a poll on MacRumors "do you prefer iOS to Android" and when 90+% of responses are in favour iOS concluding that 90+% of the world population prefers iOS.

All that being said, the conclusion is still limited to "people who aren't paying for their computers and want the computers to be as expensive as possible for their employers as a sign of prestige want Apple products". It makes as much sense as asking people if they want their all expenses paid company car to be a Honda Fit or a Ferrari. That result would mean nothing in the real world, just like this survey means nothing in the real world.

8. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

Yeah like google, facebook, ibm, Airbnb...o no wait...

9. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

A big reason why is it's the only way to avoid the horrible corporate management and spyware software installed on corporate windows laptops. Mac's have some, but it's no where as crappy, far less annoying, and less of it compared to Windows.

p.s. Also, getting a Mac guarantees you a fast relatively new computer

10. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

Incorrect Jampf sell MDM solution for blackbarry, Windows, Android, Mac and iOs. You can't be a business leader in this field without being platform agnostic.
    It is true that in the market there is nothing like Apple DEP
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    Corporation used custom image it's not like they buy computer from amazon and send them sraight to their employee LoL

11. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

ROFL.

I hope people will take look for themselves https://www.jamf.com before believing your "alternative facts".

They call themselves "Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV management | Jamf" right in the page title. Not to mention the page content is all Apple,

12. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Was this survey done before or after Apple nuked DisplayLink compatibility?

13. bmot macrumors regular

I guess Windows users got more used to Mac functionality in recent years since Windows copied the hell from MacOS for it latest versions. Hence the jump to Mac seems more easy.

14. citysnaps macrumors 68040

More than a decade ago the small startup I was part of was acquired by a large semiconductor company. We were Mac-based and the acquiring company allowed us to stay that way, even though they were PC-based and had many thousands of PCs and a large IT department to mange them.

That was a godsend. Whenever there were problems with company-wide viruses or other issues, we were unaffected. It also meant we didn't have to deal with IT support, which we didn't want or need.

15. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

What's your point? I know the corp's do custom images. As my comment says, the Mac laptops in my experiences dont have nearly as much of the corporate management crap on it typically compared to Windows, and the stuff it has is far less crappy on the user experience.

16. sk02 macrumors newbie

17. oldoneeye macrumors member

oldoneeye

I work in a very large corp. Apple just became available for all, and I'd say this ratio looks about right..... . still think they need to provide more RAM for corp customers on the MBP .... 16GB is OK now, but will it be in 2 years time - I'd like some headroom.

Better docking solutions would also be great ....

18. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

My experience has been that creative-focused industries often lean mac (mostly for historical reputation reasons, not modern advantages). But my largest mac user base these days would be organizational executives. They get what they want, and IT has to catch up, causing headaches due to Apple's lack of enterprise-grade support options. Don't get me wrong, Apple support personnel are great and hardware repair support is usually top-notch, but Apple's toolsets for integration in a Windows world (SMB implementation, policy integration ability) are just nonexistent. The support at this level is "go check the apple support forums that we don't at all monitor or participate in".

There are third parties that offer this stuff for high prices and limited effect, that just don't make sense for organizations that want to test the waters. The IT staff gets burned on first impression, and will actively work against the pain of further integration past the top tier execs.

Sad, really, as it's a huge opportunity for apple that they just pass up time and time again.

19. pl1984 macrumors 68000

It's my observation people are no more productive in the enterprise with a Mac. In fact it's the opposite. I can't tell you how many times I've waited on a conference call while a Mac user has to restart their virtual machine so they can present. All too often I see people having to work around Mac limitations which exist because it's a PC world. They seem to be oblivious to the extra work they're having to do to work within a PC ecosystem.

IMO many choose a Mac based on fashion / form more than functionality.

20. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I selected a Mac for my work machine over a Windows machine. The Windows machine options were large and very heavy. That does not work well for any travel. And the battery life on my Mac is much better than what I saw with Windows.

Most of the people I work with would switch to a Mac if given the choice.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    I agree with this. It does take some time to start WMWare. If more companies would support the Mac then I would not need VMWare. A client I work with now will not support the Mac.

21. Taipan macrumors 6502

What I find most surprising is that so many companies allow their employees to choose their computers, given the (initial) costs for Macs are so much higher.

22. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

As a corporate MAC user, you have a point. I have a highly stable, reliable machine with less add-on security and management software. OTOH, key software (Microsoft Office) **still** doesn’t have full parity across platforms, many times in ways that are totally confounding. Overall though I am very happy with my choice and see no need to move back.

23. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I would choose a Mac over a PC, if it was 2011.

24. urtules macrumors regular

urtules

I used to work at place where they give you Lenovo laptop and there’s no other options. After deleting Windows, installing Ubuntu and working for 2 month I gave up and started to bring my MacBook Air from home. I managed to spend their more than a year until they noticed and I had to quit.

Enterprise is so tricky, they always try to lock stuff down and add friction everything. More freedom I have, more productive I am.

25. belvdr macrumors 603

Looks like their survey fits what their website claims:

https://www.jamf.com/solutions/technologies/employee-choice/

I cannot believe this survey made the news section.
    Many users, given the freedom, screw up their machines, regardless of manufacturer. Of course, it's always a dumb idea to bypass policies.