7200 vs Fusion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

Is a fusion hard drive worth the extra expense than a regular 7200 hard drive that is the low end 27 inch iMac model or will either be fine? I went into the Apple store and I really did not notice much of a difference. What kind of hard drives are in most Apple laptops? If I back up everything on an external hard drive why should I care and I also have AppleCare.

2. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Yes Fusion or any kind of SSD, will be worth the extra expense. It is the single best upgrade you can do. All Macbook, except the MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), which Apple for some reason keeps selling, use (pure) ssd.

3. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

Another question.... If I buy the iMac can I take the keyboard and mouse that came with it back to the Apple store and exchange it for a numeric wired Apple keyboard and wired Apple mouse or does the whole system have to be returned?

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you start with the very cheapest 27" iMac and decide to spent a little bit more (around $200 or £120), I would spend the money in this order: 1. Retina screen. 2. Fusion drive. 3. 16 GB Ram. I'd also look at offers on the App Store for refurbished iMacs.

I don't think you can, but you can order an iMac with the right keyboard in the first place.

5. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

If you buy a fusion based iMac you can not run bootcamp.

You can order new with wired numerical keyboard or BT wireless.

I have replaced many drives in my plastic MacBook. SSD Really extended its life.

6. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

7. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I did without a problem. As long as you do not use the one that came with it. They just straight exchanged it for me right at the store when I picked up my iMac.

9. rigormortis, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

one of the things that bug me and makes me want to make my own youtube channel is this rubber stamp answer
    that says ssd is the best thing you can have.

SSD is like a ram disk with a very long erase cycle. if you unplug your computer and put it in storage from 3 months to a year your hard disk WILL BE ERASED. its very important that you still run time machine..

this is what dell says back in 2011
    SLC 6 months
    eMLC 3 months
    MLC 3 moths

here is a link that said the maximum time someones data was left alive on a ssd was 18 months
    http://techreport.com/discussion/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

that page is only six months old

anandtech says its nothing to worry about and it will take 10 years of heavy use before you have to worry about
    what will happen to your data after you turn it off, peoples opinions are different. but i would make sure
    that you keep using time machine.

unplugging i think is required for the SSD to be erased. if you simply just turn it off but keep it plugged in, then
    the zombie power feeding your smc controller might be just enough to keep the drive alive. as far as MacBooks go, i think your data is safe as long as the battery is physically connected to your logic board and the battery does not reach 0. whenever a macbook has some kind of power source, something is keeping the contents of your smc ram alive, and maybe thats good enough.
    i think this would be a good story. pram is nvram, smc is just ram

another one of my pet peeves are hybrid hard disks, like the seagate st500lm000 , people like me, duh, put them in usb 2 cases when the drive is not rated for usb 2 current. and it causes the them to panic and refuse to spin and they start beeping , it sounds like crickets.

10. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Hmm.
    I had a dell laptop with a Kingston SSD.
    Laptop was in sleep mode, in the floor of my car when it was flooded.

Laptop was toast, battery leaked out etc...

I was using the hard drive as a bottle opener.

One day decided to plug it in as external for kicks as I was swapping out drives around my different machines.

Guess what, not only was my data there, when I plugged it into same model machine (I got later same kind of laptop) it booted right up.

That was two and a half years of being powered down.

11. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I think this citation may be misleading as referenced here. The point of the effort in this article was to see how much data would have to be written to SSDs before they failed. Here are some relevant copy quote from that article:

>>>Our solid-state death march was designed to test the limited write tolerance inherent to all NAND flash memory.

>>>The first lesson came quickly. All of the drives surpassed their official endurance specifications by writing hundreds of terabytes without issue.

To paraphrase, it took 18 months of continuous read-writes to get many of the drives to fail, but this test exceeded the manufacturer's specifications - by a wide margin.

Earlier this year there was a rumor that SSDs lose data if unplugged. That, too was quickly debunked: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2925...nt-lose-data-if-left-unplugged-after-all.html

Millions of people use these things to simply and dramatically improve the performance of their systems. I've been using them for years.