Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gakuran hitori

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Hello!

I'm undecided about which drive to choose before I buy a new MBP. If anyone could give me their opinions and help me decide I'd be very grateful!

I will be primarily using my computer for music production and performance so ssd makes the most sense since I'll be loading and recording audio files with Logic Pro 9 pretty often. Also, vibration is a slight concern since my computer may be in rooms with lots of loud noise. However, the plug-ins I use for logic are roughly 60gb on their own, and project folders with lossless audio total up to about 20gb already. I'm thinking after not too long 128gb isn't going to be enough space, so I'll have to upgrade anyway.

Would it make more sense to stick with 750gb/500gb for now and get a more generously sized ssd when the price drops?

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
after using 256gb ssd in my air .. i can never go back to a normal hdd ..
but the 256gb ssd option in the high end 15 is 450 option :(

hoxley

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
Hello!

I'm undecided about which drive to choose before I buy a new MBP. If anyone could give me their opinions and help me decide I'd be very grateful!

I will be primarily using my computer for music production and performance so ssd makes the most sense since I'll be loading and recording audio files with Logic Pro 9 pretty often. Also, vibration is a slight concern since my computer may be in rooms with lots of loud noise. However, the plug-ins I use for logic are roughly 60gb on their own, and project folders with lossless audio total up to about 20gb already. I'm thinking after not too long 128gb isn't going to be enough space, so I'll have to upgrade anyway.

Would it make more sense to stick with 750gb/500gb for now and get a more generously sized ssd when the price drops?

i would go with 750gb. unless you decide to keep samples for plugins on an external (i dont know if logic can do this) you will need the space. get yourself NI komplete and spectrasonics plugins and your sample library will be hitting 300 GB soon enough.

i should mention that optimally you should be streaming samples, recording, and running your DAW all from 3 separate disks.

bcrawfo2

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2010
I'm in the same boat as you. The 128g SSD is attractive at $90....but am worried that it will be too small long term.

Waiting to see what other responses you get.

skiffx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Once you work with an ssd, you will never want to go back, it's simply that much better. Consider 128 and an external if anything. Or 3rd party 250.

gakuran hitori

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
i would go with 750gb. unless you decide to keep samples for plugins on an external (i dont know if logic can do this) you will need the space. get yourself NI komplete and spectrasonics plugins and your sample library will be hitting 300 GB soon enough.

i should mention that optimally you should be streaming samples, recording, and running your DAW all from 3 separate disks.

Yeah, I use spectrasonics a lot already. ;o;

I plan to get a fw800 hard drive eventually which I can record to but I don't want to have to always bring it to a studio or livehouse with me.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I'm going 256 GB SSD for the OS and Applications. And I'm yanking out the useless optical drive and putting in a second hard drive, either a 750 GB or a 1 TB, to hold all my user data.

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
I'm in the same boat as you. The 128g SSD is attractive at $90....but am worried that it will be too small long term.

Waiting to see what other responses you get.

128GB is certainly too little in my opinion.
Even 256GB is not that great.
Who's going to order a 512GB SSD ?

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
ahh i cant decide what to do .. im sitting at the configure screen .. getting the 15mbp high end 2.2, 4gb, hires antiglare .. just dont know about which hdd

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
same here .. like i said .. i had a 120gb owc ssd in my last mbp and it was blazing fast and dead silent .. and a 256gb ssd in my mba .. if i bought the 2.3 and just left the drive at 750gb 5400 rpm i think it would crawl

gakuran hitori

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
same here .. like i said .. i had a 120gb owc ssd in my last mbp and it was blazing fast and dead silent .. and a 256gb ssd in my mba .. if i bought the 2.3 and just left the drive at 750gb 5400 rpm i think it would crawl

Well, yeah. Having a 5400rpm hd with that kind of processor will really prevent the computer from reaching its true potential. But I'll definitely be getting an ssd somewhere down the line when 256gb and 512 become more affordable.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
which prolly wont be for another year .. prices havent dropped much at all

i guess i am just going to get the 2.2, 4gb, hires antiglare and 500gb 7200rpm

i always end up buying the highest end cpu and then never using it .. i will edit on this mbp but
not to the extent that the 2.3 will make a huge difference

Udden

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Do anyone know how many % of the disc space it's recommended to fill in ssds ? I heard somewhere that you should always save like 20-30% free space. Is that true?
If so, having 120 gb won't be enough for me, even if I save all unnecessary files on time capsule.

southpaw23

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I'm thinking of going with the 256gb SSD. It's $540 for the upgrade. I'm seeing prices around $500 for various brands. I keep reading that the speed of Apple's isn't up to par as others but maybe they changed it for this new MBP line? Plus, I have the convenience of Apple installing it and I don't have to bother with funky screws and reinstall, etc.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
oh well ordered ..

15in
4gb
500gb 7200rpm
hires antiglare

basically same computer i had last year without the quadcore lol
i sold my ultimate mba air for this .. i know the weight of the machine
is gonna suck but oh well lol .. going all mobile and selling my i7 imac

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
Hmmm, I have to say, I'm considering stuff at the minute but as I have my iMac as my main computer, I only use the MBP for surfing the net, watching catch up TV in bed (!) and the odd bit of PS work so to be honest, a 128 SSD is plenty for me. However, if it's your only machine, 128 is probably too small :(

gakuran hitori

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
oh well ordered ..

15in
4gb
500gb 7200rpm
hires antiglare

basically same computer i had last year without the quadcore lol
i sold my ultimate mba air for this .. i know the weight of the machine
is gonna suck but oh well lol .. going all mobile and selling my i7 imac

I think I'll copy you but get 2.3 instead. I'll upgrade to 8gb ram myself and save for an ssd.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I think I'll copy you but get 2.3 instead. I'll upgrade to 8gb ram myself and save for an ssd.

yea normally i always get the fastest processor but this time around i don't think its gonna be a huge difference and especially not for 250 more
especially when i will probably sell this machine for the next redesign next year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.