750GB Scorpio Black not compatible with MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beret9987, Mar 2, 2011.

1. beret9987 macrumors regular

Hey All,

Seem to be having a weird problem here. Bought a new 750gB Scorpio Black and I can't seem to be able to gget it to response properly when I have it installed as an internal drive. It boots up fine as a USB drive but as soon as i put it in to the MBP, nothing happens! Just wanted to get some other peoples thoughts on this. Haven't tried to swap out the drive yet but I'm not totally convinced it could be hardware if it works juat fine as an external boot drive for the system. Thanks in advance!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Has it been properly formatted?

3. beret9987 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, Mac OS Journaled(HFS+ for you more technically minded folk), GUID Partition Table and all that. Its just REALLY weird. I'm actually typing off the drive now as a USB external. Sorta blows my mind how it refuses to work as an internal drive.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have the 320Gb version of that drive in my MBP right this moment, and it was a breeze, that's quite odd.

Maybe try and contact WD? I strongly doubt it's not compatible, this is either software incompatibility or something's wrong with the computer itself.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have one and it works. no problem.

Just reformat and reinstall.

You may have gotten a messed up one. Or not.

good luck.

6. beret9987 thread starter macrumors regular

Gonna get me another one, if worse comes to worse, I'll take the computer in since its still under warranty. I would do a reformat and reinstall but the MBP refuses to do anything with this drive installed into it. Including booting from the Install DVD... :confused:

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i seem to recall Hellhammer saying something about this issue - ill link him to this thread just incase he has any insight for you :)

in saying that, there is no difference between that and say a 500GB.

does the drive appear fine in Disk Utility?

8. beret9987 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea it does actually. Gonna give another reinstall a go but if that doesnt do the trick I dont know what will honestly, and I"ll just end up exchanging the drive.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

probably a good idea. let us know how it goes!

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Try disabling Apple's internal motion sensor if you are installing it int he main hard drive bay because the Scorpio Black as it's own internal motion sensor that conflicts and causes kernel panics with the Apple one's.

11. beret9987 thread starter macrumors regular

Well that was a total no go. Disk utility refused to recognize the drive so I'm just gonna return it and try again next month I suppose... thank you everyone for all the help though I really appreciate it!

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does your old drive work fine? Have you tried SMC and PRAM resets?

13. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

i'm putting the 500gb in my 2011 mbp today, i will let you know if I have any issues.

14. beret9987 thread starter macrumors regular

Old drive works fine luckily. Did give me the "Folder with question mark" when I put it back in for the umpteenth time but I just had to tell the computer where to boot from at that point. Didn't try SMC and PRAM resets no, probably should though. Did you experience anything like this?

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have not experienced anything like this since I don't have a MacBook Pro. So do you get the folder with question mark everytime you boot from the new HD? Could be that you only need to select the new drive as startup drive from System Preferences if that is the issue.

So what exactly happens when you try to boot from the new HD? That is what I need to know in order to help you.

16. beret9987 thread starter macrumors regular

So with the old HDD, at the very least, I can hold Alt and select my drive to boot from. With the new one, can't do that at all. The installer, won't actually install onto the drive itself unless its in an external enclosure. In general, with the new HDD, the computer just refuses to see it. But as I've mentioned before, works great as an external boot drive! Not what I'm totally looking for though :p

17. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmmm, that sounds weird. Have you ran Disk Utility when booted from the install disc (assuming it is seen in DU)? Does it say anything? Could be that the drive is somehow defective, although it doesn't make sense that it works in an enclosure.

19. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I don't want to infuriate anyone here by suggesting the bleeding obvious, but we are certain that the replacement drive wasn't inserted upside down, right?

:eek: :eek:

I only ask because the SATA connector is designed to allow a drive to be forced into the bay upside down without doing damage (the connectors slide past one another) but the result is that it seems that the newly installed drive isn't recognized.

With the external enclosure tolerances are looser, so it's usually more obvious that the drive is or isn't plugged in.

20. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Installed the 750gb scorpio black in my 2.3ghz 15" no problem but its loud. Nothing out of the ordinary I'm just used to ssd noise.

Oh, there was an issue with non-apple drives a few macbook pros ago. Which model do you have?

21. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

I just put the 500 gb version of the drive in my 2.4 ghz sr mpb, works like a dream. Computer much faster than before.... like a new machine. Easy install also.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

given that you have not had any issues it seems that the OPs hdd is somewhat damaged the. its worth taking back to get a refund me thinks, or try install windows on it and see what happens :rolleyes:

23. beret9987, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

beret9987 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, got my second drive today and... same thing. -_-* Drive is facing the right direction made sure of that one. I have a feeling it might be something with my mac so I've got a Genius appointment scheduled to deal with this. Don't think the last drive was damaged either. Glad to know it's not some random incompatibility though and is most likely my controller or cable ribbon.

EDIT: Model is a 15" 2.66Ghz i7 MBP

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that is totally frustrating :mad: good call on making the apple appointment. best case scenario is they take a look at it and fix it, worst case is they say the drive isnt compatible (which kind of seems the likely case, knowing apple these days :p).

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any 2.5" SATA drive should work. I've seen people with 750GB Black in MBPs and they work fine.