Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
get that stick out of your butt.... Computer company....just google how long ago they already dropped that from their company name.

Stick, butt, wow, how did you know. I tried to get it removed via surgery, but they said it was too far in there and it started growing roots, branches and now some birds are nesting on it. I'm gonna try again to get it removed once the birds have flown south.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah, different strokes for different folks. You're right that what I'm saying is that I'm so deep in the ecosystem that I wouldn't want to change now. That said, I'm happy to be in it, I love all my Apple products and adore how they all work so well together.

In terms of all your stuff mentioning folders and collections and organizing and tags and all that - I used to be that way, but gave it up because I don't want to have files on my systems. If I want to watch something I stream it and I never use that media in a non-Apple device. If I buy a show on iTunes for example, it's already on my TV, on my Mac ready for PIP viewing, it's on my iPhone and iPad. So easy. If I want to listen to music in my car there's a bluetooth from my iPhone for that :) I don't fart around with USB sticks or folders or storage or anything that plugs in. It's a wireless world for me.

An example: If I want to listen to an album or watch a TV show, I don't worry about how well my "file directory" is sorted, because I don't have files. I just lift my Siri remote and say what I want :) I found it liberating deleting all my **** and just loving the cloud :)

Yeah except you're up Crap Creek if you don't have your phone on you for some reason or another (I dunno about you, but I've forgotten my phone in the charger at home on more than one occasion). Besides, Bluetooth drains phone batteries very quickly and iPhones aren't known for their great battery time to begin with (I probably get 2x the battery time on this Lumia 640 as a typical iPhone from everything I've read and experienced and I still wouldn't want to play wireless songs off it for an extended length of time when I can just leave a USB stick in my car's armrest on a more or less permanent basis.

Trying to get any number of car stereos to efficiently find music with their controls off an iPhone can be a chore anyway. I organize the car stereo USB stick by random play genre radio station (e.g. throw 250 songs I like in a folder and select random play) and full albums. There's no searching or moving around folders or artist names while I'm driving (i.e. dangerous). Yeah, some cars can search by voice now (don't know if current Siri can listen to voice commands while mated to a stereo that is not Carplay enabled or not).

Basically, if I want to hear something on my phone, I can press the Bluetooth button on the stereo. Otherwise, I can play off the 16GB USB stick and not even have to worry about wasting my battery. Subaru's interface for USB sticks is easier to use than their Bluetooth mode anyway, IMO.

As for File Directories, something like Kodi can easily sort a single directory of crap in the Movie list or whatever, but you aren't forced to organize that way. There's a file view mode too. Do I want say pRoN in my primary movie directories? No, I can even lock those out so if my brother's kids are over there's no chance of them accidentally running into something. Apple has never offered squat for parental lockouts in any AppleTV I owned other than by rating from their own iTunes store (not very kid friendly, IMO for your own collections of material, but then Apple doesn't want or expect you to add your own movies separate from buying stuff from them and they don't sell such videos so why would they need any other lockout from their perspective?). I still maintain an iTunes setup for regular movies, music, etc. so I can use my older AppleTV devices or add a newer AppleTV in the future if I think it's better than the next FireTV or whatever. But it can't handle some home videos, etc. that aren't in the Apple M4V/MP4 format.

I've never understood why Apple couldn't accommodate other formats for home videos, etc. with an approved plugin or just add the most common formats (not hard for them to do), but they always seem to put their own interests (selling you crap on iTunes) ahead of their customers who might want to do things their own way and that is largely what frustrated me enough with Apple to try something else and I have to say FireTV has some interesting options now for Prime Users (don't need Apple Music; I get loads of music for 'free' with Prime on top of 2-day delivery along with movies and TV Shows similar to Netflix). Of course if Amazon would add a Prime player App to AppleTV, I'd have another option to consider, but as it is, I have to have a FireTV anyway and as it turns out, I don't need Apple at all with FireTV with Prime, Netflix and Kodi.
[doublepost=1492047454][/doublepost]
TLDR

Will wait for sales figures.

Why bother to post you didn't read something? You just felt like telling the world you're too damn lazy to read something? If you can't be bothered to read it, don't bother replying. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wjw0111

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2016
Yeah except you're up Crap Creek if you don't have your phone on you for some reason or another (I dunno about you, but I've forgotten my phone in the charger at home on more than one occasion). Besides, Bluetooth drains phone batteries very quickly and iPhones aren't known for their great battery time to begin with (I probably get 2x the battery time on this Lumia 640 as a typical iPhone from everything I've read and experienced and I still wouldn't want to play wireless songs off it for an extended length of time when I can just leave a USB stick in my car's armrest on a more or less permanent basis.

Trying to get any number of car stereos to efficiently find music with their controls off an iPhone can be a chore anyway. I organize the car stereo USB stick by random play genre radio station (e.g. throw 250 songs I like in a folder and select random play) and full albums. There's no searching or moving around folders or artist names while I'm driving (i.e. dangerous). Yeah, some cars can search by voice now (don't know if current Siri can listen to voice commands while mated to a stereo that is not Carplay enabled or not).

Basically, if I want to hear something on my phone, I can press the Bluetooth button on the stereo. Otherwise, I can play off the 16GB USB stick and not even have to worry about wasting my battery. Subaru's interface for USB sticks is easier to use than their Bluetooth mode anyway, IMO.

As for File Directories, something like Kodi can easily sort a single directory of crap in the Movie list or whatever, but you aren't forced to organize that way. There's a file view mode too. Do I want say pRoN in my primary movie directories? No, I can even lock those out so if my brother's kids are over there's no chance of them accidentally running into something. Apple has never offered squat for parental lockouts in any AppleTV I owned other than by rating from their own iTunes store (not very kid friendly, IMO for your own collections of material, but then Apple doesn't want or expect you to add your own movies separate from buying stuff from them and they don't sell such videos so why would they need any other lockout from their perspective?). I still maintain an iTunes setup for regular movies, music, etc. so I can use my older AppleTV devices or add a newer AppleTV in the future if I think it's better than the next FireTV or whatever. But it can't handle some home videos, etc. that aren't in the Apple M4V/MP4 format.

I've never understood why Apple couldn't accommodate other formats for home videos, etc. with an approved plugin or just add the most common formats (not hard for them to do), but they always seem to put their own interests (selling you crap on iTunes) ahead of their customers who might want to do things their own way and that is largely what frustrated me enough with Apple to try something else and I have to say FireTV has some interesting options now for Prime Users (don't need Apple Music; I get loads of music for 'free' with Prime on top of 2-day delivery along with movies and TV Shows similar to Netflix). Of course if Amazon would add a Prime player App to AppleTV, I'd have another option to consider, but as it is, I have to have a FireTV anyway and as it turns out, I don't need Apple at all with FireTV with Prime, Netflix and Kodi.
[doublepost=1492047454][/doublepost]

Why bother to post you didn't read something? You just felt like telling the world you're too damn lazy to read something? If you can't be bothered to read it, don't bother replying. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just sorta skimmed what you wrote here and it sounds messy and complicated. I just stick to Apple and everything is easy. In any case, I'm gonna stop monitoring this thread as it feels like we've strewn pretty far from the topic at hand. As long as your setup works for you and my setup works for me I'm happy to leave it at that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.