78% of Teens Surveyed Own an iPhone, 82% Plan to Purchase

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iPhone's popularity among teens continues to grow, according to new data gathered by investment firm Piper Jaffray for the fall edition of its semiannual U.S. teen survey.

78 percent of teens surveyed own an iPhone, up two percent from the spring 2017 survey conducted earlier this year. 82 percent of teens said their next smartphone will be an iPhone, the highest amount of interest ever noted in one of these surveys.

[​IMG]

This jump in interest can perhaps be attributed to the 2017 iPhone lineup, which includes the iPhone X with an edge-to-edge display and a TrueDepth camera for facial recognition purposes.

Teen interest in the Apple Watch is also up, and 17 percent of teens surveyed said they plan to buy an Apple Watch in the next six months, up from 13 percent in spring 2017.

[​IMG]

Piper Jaffray says the survey is a "positive point" on iPhone 8 demand and iPhone X demand, and increasing interested in the Apple Watch.

[​IMG]

Apple Music also made an appearance in the survey, gaining share alongside Spotify and YouTube as teens move away from streaming services like Pandora.
    Piper Jaffray's fall 2017 teen survey covered 6,100 teens across 44 states in the United States with an average age of 15.9 years.

Article Link: 78% of Teens Surveyed Own an iPhone, 82% Plan to Purchase

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Are that many kids parents actually buying them new phones? I get handing your old iPhone down, but I have a hard time imagining that that many parents are willing to spend $1000 on a phone for their kid to check Facebook.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Mine got a hand me down for her first one, and iPhone 4.
    She then got a 5S (she paid for the phone, I covered the plan) and later and SE.
    No way I'm handing a teenager a $1k phone. She broke the screen on the 5S and had to live with it until it was paid off.
    She learned her lesson on the 5S and now has insurance on the SE.

4. NexusUser macrumors member

NexusUser

Sounds like that percentage should actually be out of all teenagers with cell phones, and is probably due to hand me down iPhones from their parents. They're going to be in for a shock at the price when it comes time to buy their own phone.

5. mv9092 macrumors newbie

It is possible to walk into a store and buy last year's model for not that much. Also now there are the plans to pay per month.

6. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

"Son, you need to learn the importance of money. Now here's your new iphone which cost me a month's salary".

7. BoneCollector Suspended

BoneCollector

It's almost exclusively due to herd mentality -- people at that age especially want to fit in and not be missing out (making sure they have the same platform for iMessage, apps, etc).

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'd be in the 22% had I been a teen in this era.

9. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

10. kemal macrumors 6502a

kemal

The iPhone cost is the new normal. Before it was just the cost of the crappy feature phone and the voice only plan. I think it is worth it considering the potential good.

11. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I wish I had a phone at all when I was a teen. My parents never bought me a phone growing up and now that I'm an adult, I bought my mom an iPhone. Imagine that.

12. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Just spoke today with the mother of a 15 yrs old boy. He has a 5S and she offered him a choice between the Samsung S8+ and the iPhone X. (For the records he picked the S8 citing “better display definition”).

13. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

14. hawkeye_a, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

A segment of the market with the least real world experience and probably most susceptible to fads, likes iPhones. Is this supposed to be a "positive" for the product/brand?

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

These polls are pointless as are most polls in general.

16. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Damn getting to have an iPhone when you're a teen? Must be nice lol. First phone I got was a Nokia AT&T gophone. Didn't get my first "cool phone" until I switched to Verizon and started paying my own bill

17. 2010mini macrumors 68040

In the US only very few people pay for phones upfront. It is usually buried in their monthly cellular bills. So you are less likely to get sticker shock if you are paying $25/month.

18. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

aha. news everywhere. but monthly pays still add up to the same

19. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

When I was a teenager I remember saying that my next car would be a Lotus Carlton. 2 decades later, I'm still waiting.

Seriously though, rightly or wrongly, Apple is now and for at least the forseeable going to maintain their cool rating, which is really what this research shows.

20. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I remember this lady came into my store back in 2013 and bought her 11yr old an iPhone 5S. Damn thing was like 750 dollars lol

21. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

I don’t know when and who bought that 5S but sure enough he’s 15 and he sports a 5S.

22. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

23. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Most likely that kid from my store is getting an iPhone 10 lol. I personally think it's weird to drop that much money on a kid especially on something like a phone. But hey maybe that's just me. If the parent thinks it's OK then cool lol but I just couldn't do it

24. macTW macrumors 65816

Nobody said they purchased that phone.

There’s a reason Apple continues to sell the 6S...

25. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

Ah, those teenage years. We didn’t even have cellphones. I did have an Amiga 500 with a Phillips color monitor though, which was not exactly cheap back then.