Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and purchase decision, that is why there are choices, iphone comes in different models and prices. And not everyone view the highest model as the best suitable model it needs.
Go outside and enjoy the blue skies, it's a lovely day folks another great thing that life offer to us

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Am I the only one with doubts about the 7s/7s Plus rumours? Why would Apple have superficially upgraded versions of two separate units rolling off the production lines at the same time as their completely new, show-stopping redesigned model? Especially when those two units would be sporting a dating, three year old design.

I also think the speculation about an enormous price bump is rubbish. Looking at current leaks and rumours, the iPhone 8 is looking to be in pretty much the same ballpark as the Galaxy S8 in terms of design. Apple needs to shed the rapidly dating 6-series design to hold its own next to the head turning chassis designs of the Android flagships. To try and place the new edge-to edge screen design in a premium bracket (I've seen rumours as ridiculous as £1500) and continue to push out a souped up iPhone 6 (because, that's what you could call the 7s) as the mainstream option would be a little embarrassing in my view.

My prediction:
-The current 7 and 7plus remain on sale as the cheaper option.
-The iPhone 8 (or X or whatever you want to call it) is the only new model launching this year at a similar price point to the current 7 plus. No 7s, no 7s plus.

It would break the 'tick-tock" cycle, but realistically Apple broke it last year by releasing what was effectively a 6SS and calling it the iPhone 7. I just can't see them putting 3 new models into production, all for the September launch. I haven't really seen any leaks that suggest otherwise - correct me if I'm wrong on that.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
For me it might be as simple as ergonomics, it might be a real pain to hold the 8 comfortably without covering the display, specifically in "landscape" mode. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm playing a game or something in landscape mode, my thumbs always rest on the home button and earphones, which gives me a good/comfortable grasp on the device without covering the screen. If the screen was the entire device, I'd have to "pull back" my thumb to be inline with the rest of my fingers along the edge of the device which is not comfortable and is actually very annoying. I could also have my thumbs float over the screen the entire time but that is awkward, and will obviously block your view from parts of the screen.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think having a phone with no place to comfortably grab it will be more annoying than a phone that's slightly bigger but at least has some place to get a good/comfortable grasp on the phone. I really wish they would go edge to edge on the sides, while keeping (but shrinking) the bezels where the home button and ear piece is similarly to the s8.

This is exactly what I want as well.

But as for what may change my mind -

Well, I'm still on the iPhone 6, so I think I'm not in that whole mindset of have to have the best model anymore.

The following will really make me think about the 7S (if that's what they come up with)

1. Excruciating price of the 8.
2. Really good deal on the 7S price.
3. While comparing objectively I see that the features on the 8 is not justified for the price in my use case.
4. Not much difference in terms of the camera between the 7S & 8.
5. Too many new tech on the 8.

Combinations of 2 or more out of these will make me sway from the 8 for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: chilman

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
- many people often say not to buy a Rev A. If that naming scheme is still used. On the contrary the iPhone 7S Plus will have a very proven design
- availability
- screen size
- price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.