Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Does anyone know what the built-in DAC on the 7th gen iPad can handle?

My M1 Mac can do 32 bit 96 kHz but I know the iPhone lightning adapter can only do 24 bit 48 kHz so I have no idea what to expect from the iPad and it's DAC. Hoping it can do 96 kHz since no adapter is needed.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Does anyone know what the built-in DAC on the 7th gen iPad can handle?

My M1 Mac can do 32 bit 96 kHz but I know the iPhone lightning adapter can only do 24 bit 48 kHz so I have no idea what to expect from the iPad and it's DAC. Hoping it can do 96 kHz since no adapter is needed.
It's a flaw of the lightning port. The iPad has the same limit as the iPhone.

Valay

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2023
Oh, I didn't realize you wanted to plug into the iPad mini headphone jack.
Hey sorry to bother you but i have that thought scratching my head and i will really like to know about the Dac on my 7th Gen iPad, is it better than the iPhone 6 Dac to mention something, since my current iPhone 13 doesn't have a Dac and the lightning adapter Dac is a joke…. Also theres the lightning limitation which i believe you mentioned earlier.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Hey sorry to bother you but i have that thought scratching my head and i will really like to know about the Dac on my 7th Gen iPad, is it better than the iPhone 6 Dac to mention something, since my current iPhone 13 doesn't have a Dac and the lightning adapter Dac is a joke…. Also theres the lightning limitation which i believe you mentioned earlier.
Apple use Cirrus Logic DACs in pretty much all their devices since the iPhone 5 i believe. I actually just checked iFixit and the exact DAC is Cirrus Logic CS42L83A. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.