8.02 and 5Ghz router bands: fixed?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by davidra, Sep 29, 2014.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

Clearly this was a major issue on the Apple forums, which I have with 8.0. My Mac works perfectly with the 5Ghz band, and my iphone and iPad always have until the update. Now they don't see it and when they do and connect, it will auto-disconnect after a bit and it's really slow when it does work. The 2.4 band works pretty well. If you were having this problem before you updated to 8.02, how is it doing now? I'm not about to jump into that unless it will fix the problem.

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

3. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. WPA2. This is a well-known problem for dual-band modems; there are tons of posts about it, identical to mine. In fact I'd be interested if anyone who has updated is using a 5Ghz band successfully after updating. As I said, 2.4 works fine. 5.0 only works perfectly on the Mac, but no longer on the iPad or iPhone. I have made no changes in the router; this is clearly a bug.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

8.02 and 5Ghz router bands: fixed?

No issue with either iPhone 6 or Air on 8.0 nor 8.0.2.

Airport Extreme 5th
    Airport Extreme 6th
    Airport Express N set for 5ghz
    Linksys E2000

5. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

on the 6, I'm not having any WiFi problems and it's been working pretty great on the 5ghz. It doesn't reach as far so if you move out of range, it'll pick up on 2.4. I renamed my 5ghz band to a specific name and have an Airport Express to extend the range. My iPhone is only set to connect to the 5GHz band. I get it everywhere in my house. When I walk in, it only takes a few seconds to connect to it. Speed is what I expect, sometimes better than what I pay for w/ FiOS. It's on par with what my laptop gets.

6. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

I've had no issues at all. I have 2 D-link DIR-868L modems running off a Verizon FiOS modem.

This is about 10 feet from one of my modems:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412021315.528424.jpg

7. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

OK. I have a Netgear which has been flawless since I got it and remains that way with my iMac which is some distance away. I am using a Cisco extender with the 5 Ghz band. Wonder if that could be the problem.....except there are a whole lot of people having the exact problem I'm having. It's no biggie, the 2.4 works fine, but I need the extended distance on the phone if I can get it. When it does see the 5.0 band it says "cannot connect". Others are seeing the same thing. I have an iPhone 5.

8. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

I have Cisco and Apple routers, both are dual-band, everything is working just fine.

9. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

My iPad Air and 6+ disconnects from my dlink router from time to time. Started happening on the latest update. Won't connect to either 2.4 or 5 ghz bands and gives me invalid password. I have to reset router for both to connect again. iMac is fine and my windows 7 laptop is fine as well.

10. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

fine with a dir-825 b1 & tl-wdr4900 v1.3 both on dd-wrt r25045 5ghz using channel 149, wpa2-aes

11. flashflooder macrumors regular

my iPhone 6 disconnects periodically from my Airport Extreme 5Ghz. I have to switch wifi off then back on to fix it.

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Asus RT-AC68U and its flawless. Not one disconnect. I never use wifi extenders as they half the speed.

13. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Have you run wireless diagnostics from the Mac to see if maybe some channel issues? I've done that at relatives' homes when I've had some sketchy connections in different parts of the house.

Option-click on the wifi icon on the menu bar. "Open Wireless Diagnostics". Then, "Wireless Diagnostics > Windows > Utilities". In the window that pops-up, click on "Wi-Fi Scan". Will seek out all wi-fi networks in range, what channel they are all running on, and will suggest what the best options are. Reconfigure router and or extender with suggested channels.

Oh, and: my iPhone 6 and iPad 3 are all connecting perfectly via 5GHz with 8.0.2.

14. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Seems that this is more of an iPhone 6/6 Plus issue than an iOS 8 issue. I updated to iOS 8 with a 5s and a Linksys dual-band router. No evidence of slowdowns or drops or any other wi-fi issues.

Because the newer phones add support for 802.11ac, the 6 and 6 Plus use a different wi-fi chipset from the 5s and 5 (which shared a common Broadcom-derived wi-fi chip architecture).

The 5 and 5s also share the same LTE baseband chip, while the 6 and 6 Plus use a newer baseband. These newer chips might explain why issues affecting the 6 and 6 Plus (like the botched iOS 8.0.1 update) don't appear to affect the 5 and 5s.

15. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Except I have an iPhone 5. As far as the extender, I only need it for the Mac which is some distance away from the primary router, and my Mac is blazing fast and has had no problems whatsoever. It is, and has been, set on 5.0. On Speedtest.net, 55 Mbps down, 15 up. But the iPhone and iPad, which used to work fine on either network, now only work on 2.4. Most of the time 5.0 doesn't even appear as an option. And as I said, this is hardly a one-off problem: Link

This has occurred with iPad Airs, Minis, and lots of devices other than just the 6 and 6+. Something is going on with the upgrade and wifi, especially with the 5.0 bands. I'm glad not everyone is having the problem, but many are.

16. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

I had forgotten I even setup a 5GHz wireless connection but just tested. Using WPA/WPA2 Personal My macbook pro works with it well but my new iphone plus 6 (128 GB) only can connect to the 2.4GHz band. It has the factory 8.0 install on it, have not been willing to try 8.0.2 yet. Did the 5.0 work for you with the original 8.0 on your phone before updating?

17. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

what 5 ghz channel? & is ht40 enabled(40mhz channel width)?

18. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

My Airport extreme has this capability. But I set it up before apple dumbed down the Airport Utility, now I have to look at them as separate "routers" not sure I could do this again with the current limited airport utility. So see nothing about a 40 mhz anything, just two wireless accesses I have to look at separately in my airport utility

19. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't updated to 8.02; still running 8.0 and 5GHz band not working well if at all. Worked fine on 7.xx. That was the purpose of the post, to see if 8.02 fixed the problem for people that were having it.

20. yyzspotter macrumors newbie

I have a 6 Plus running 8.0.2 and I am experiencing intermittent issues with my Linksys E4200 which has dual band (2.4 GHZ and 5 ghz) capabilities.. My understanding is the E4200 is NOT AC compatible though.

However, I am experiencing the same issues as you all are above. My 6 Plus SEES the 5 Ghz stream, but does not maintain a connection to it - it will connect, get the IP address, and then it'll disappear and it will revert down to the existing 2.4 GHZ stream.

21. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Not true.

22. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I have an iPhone 6 and iPad Air. I have no issues at all on my 5Ghz wifi. It performs very well. Connects as soon as I get home, 90Mbps+ connection to the internet.

23. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

to be honest David I am not sure I tried to use my 5s (before my 6 plus arrived) on 7.x with my 5.0GHz band. I had forgotten when i got this newer Airport to try it. Seemed to me it sometimes had issues so I just defaulted all hardware to the 2.4GHz. But my new macbook Pro likes it and I may leave that there. I need to try my ipad Air (running 8.0 unfortunately) tonight.

Anyway my 6 plus with 8.0 can only use the 2.4GHz band, it says unable to connect when I try, it sees it fine -- although it did take awhile to "show up" in my WIFI settings on the 6 Plus

24. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yeah I think so..... half of the bandwidth is used to communicate with the main router.