8.1 - Where the 2G/3G/LTE selection?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Morac, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Morac macrumors 65816

Morac

I installed 8.1 on my iPhone 5S and went into Settings -> Cellular expecting to see an option to allow me to choose 2G, 3G or LTE as documented in the release notes, but that's not there. The same only "Enable LTE" toggle is there. This is on AT&T.

Is the ability to choose which to use carrier specific?

2. frito1224 macrumors regular

I'm Having the same issue i talked to apple they told me to restore the operating system on iTunes and that will fix it they said it was because I downloaded over wifi

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It's carrier specific.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, pretty sure that aside from Apple allowing for these options the carriers themselves have to not only support them but enable them for their users (via carrier settings), so some will have all or some of them and others won't have all or some of them, depending on their carrier and the carrier settings that are present (which get updated from time to time).

5. Morac thread starter macrumors 65816

Morac

Nice to see Apple support is as lousy as ever. I don't think they even listen to people when they call in. Doesn't matter what the problem is, the solution is always do a restore.

6. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

apple can force the toggle to actually be there if they wanted, like they should, but they dont & leave it to "carriers decision" garbage, well my carrier has an edge network, no toggle available, previous ios devices still have their toggle available. i even asked them & guess what they said? the usual "it has to come from apples end":rolleyes: & then if u ask apple, "it has to come from the carriers end":rolleyes:

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

What previous devices and iOS versions? What's the carrier version on those (in comparison to the device where you don't have these toggles)?

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

My carrier has no 2G network. They offer 3G/4G only, so the option would be useless for me.

If the carriers don't want to make it an option, they don't have to.

9. LaidBack macrumors member

LaidBack

I am on at&t as well. I just updated an iPhone 6 to iOS 8.1 and there is no option to connect to 3g or 2g networks after the update in settings --> Cellular. I would like to be able to fall back to those networks as a way to throttle data usage or get around network congestion.

10. Orka macrumors regular

Not really, this 2G/3G/4g switch is on iPhone 5 but doesn't show up on iPhone 6 (same carrier).

11. zpt macrumors newbie

Yes. Just insert SIM into another phone (Nokia, LG etc) and see what 2G/3G network working fine. So, carrier don't block 2G or 3G.

12. wannabelean macrumors 6502

Surely something amiss. I'm having the same problem. Im gonna restore and report back. A friend of mine who is on the same network and same phone as mine got the option to switch between 2g,3g and lte. Heck even the carrier version was the same in settings >general>usage!

Attached Files:

13. Solver macrumors 6502a

For those who have this working (or not) what is your carrier and your "Carrier" version in the Settings / General / About screen?

14. LaidBack macrumors member

LaidBack

2G, 3G, LTE selection not working.
    iPhone 6 iOS 8.1
    Carrier at&t 18.0
    Modem Firmware 1.04.00

15. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

So now we are downloading it wrong?

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

What are the carrier versions on each one of those phones?

18. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I recall in the mid 1990's, you'd wait for 2 hours on hold for tech support (whomever for PC), and solution for everything was to put the "restore disk" in the CD drive and reinstall the operation system.

They didn't care if you lost all your stuff.

So now Apple is telling people to restore because the tech knows nothing.

The pins in my magsafe adapter were pushed in... the springs were not pushing them out, and the Genius in the store said it was water damage and offered to sell me another.

I am not too optimistic with the new Apple.

19. lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

Apple tech support keeps getting worse and worse. The last couple of times I called them, I had to tell them about the usage, options and features of the devices (iPhone and iMac) I called about. I could tell that they were struggling from the get go.

Now, I just either figure it out myself, Google it, or come here.

20. zpt macrumors newbie

My carrier version don't changes from 01/2014. Other people with same carrier version see switches.
    I see this problem often exist on iPhone 5s.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

What do you mean they don't change? Typically with iOS updates there are new carrier versions, and sometimes even without them.

22. Orka macrumors regular

23. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

In fringe areas, my service has automatically chosen 3G, 1x, etc with 8.0.2. Haven't noticed since 8.1.

24. zpt macrumors newbie

Some people asks me carrier version, because "it's carrier depending". With LTE is true, but not with this problem.

25. skyperbon macrumors regular

My iPhone 5 shows the 2G, 3G and LTE toggle switch but my 6 only shows 3G and LTE option. Both have iOS 8.1 installed.

I restored the 6 via iTunes but still no changes. Don't know what to do now.