Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goncaloproenca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Hi there,

Im close on buying a MacPro 8 core : the 2.8, on the apple store UK.

link is :

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FA970B/A

The thing is , I thought this was latest generation ( 8 core, that is 2 x 4 cores ) and these babies could run up to 4TB in storage ( 1TB per bay x 4 ) instead of the 2.66 quad cores which had a max of 2TB storage ( 500mb x4 )

The problem is it says on the ad that the max of storage is 2TB ( 500mb per bay x 4 ). Is it a type or real ? Is this a model that I dont know ? ( I used Powerbooks / Imacs, going to be my first MacPRO ) I wanted to buy a couple of 1TB Black Caviar drives for it, but which is the limit ?

Cheers

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
Hi there,

Im close on buying a MacPro 8 core : the 2.8, on the apple store UK.

link is :

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FA970B/A

The thing is , I thought this was latest generation ( 8 core, that is 2 x 4 cores ) and these babies could run up to 4TB in storage ( 1TB per bay x 4 ) instead of the 2.66 quad cores which had a max of 2TB storage ( 500mb x4 )

The problem is it says on the ad that the max of storage is 2TB ( 500mb per bay x 4 ). Is it a type or real ? Is this a model that I dont know ? ( I used Powerbooks / Imacs, going to be my first MacPRO ) I wanted to buy a couple of 1TB Black Caviar drives for it, but which is the limit ?

Cheers

Hello there--I've got 4 TB of disks in my Mac Pro (see my sig). I bought 4 of the 1 TB Seagate drives, and I think that they are very reliable, and they are extremely quiet. I'm a very satisfied customer. They were easy to install. Buy them and enjoy, if you have a need for such large disks! :) I do statistics research (I'm a professor), and I routinely process 100 GB of data at once, so having large disks is crucial for my research.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006

The 2.66 GHz Mac Pros can utilize just as much storage as the new machines. If the max on each bay were 500 GB neither of my 750 GB drives would work. :)

When the 1.5 TB drives come out later you can pop four of those in for 6 TB of storage.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Hello there--I've got 4 TB of disks in my Mac Pro (see my sig). I bought 4 of the 1 TB Seagate drives, and I think that they are very reliable, and they are extremely quiet. I'm a very satisfied customer. They were easy to install. Buy them and enjoy, if you have a need for such large disks! :) I do statistics research (I'm a professor), and I routinely process 100 GB of data at once, so having large disks is crucial for my research.

May I ask what it is you're researching? 100GB data sounds like you're studying the latest Hubble images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.