MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
53,022
14,765
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Appleinsider reports that Apple is indeed planning on introducing a 8-Core Mac Pro using the Quad-Core Xeon (Clovertown) processors from Intel.

The Mac Pro new system would come with two Quad-core processors and could be released after mid-November of this year. The exact timing of the release is not clear, but must wait for the official release of Clovertown.

As it stands, the release of the eight-core Mac Pro hinges on both Intel and Apple. But following Intel's mid-Nov. quad-core Xeon launch, the ball should be completely on Apple's side of the court. It'll be strictly a marketing decision from there, say insiders, as the Mac maker wrapped up hardware preparations for this brawny beast during the tail-end of the back-to-school season.

Details of the Clovertown processors were revealed in September, showing two versions of the chip that support the same 1333MHz bus as the Mac Pro. These processors (X5355 and E5345) run at 2.66 and 2.33GHz respectively.

Indeed, the current Mac Pros appear to be directly compatible with the new processors. In September, AnandTech replaced two Dual-Core Xeon (Woodcrest) processors from a Mac Pro with samples of two Quad-Core Xeon (Clovertown) processors and "they worked just fine".
 

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,724
1
If it's a simple swap of processors, then I would believe the rumors. :) 8-cores, wow! Much much faster than anyone anticipated.
 
Comment

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
593
20
NYC + Madison, WI
OK. I know that many of my apps aren't going to take advantage of this level of multithreaded power, but I can't help but get excited by this development. After so many years of sluggish improvement, it feels like we're in the midst of rapid (and radical) change.

I'm hoping that the 8-core, 3.0 (or faster) GHz MacPro arrives the same day as Leopard and about the same time as CS3. I'd gladly swap my 2.66 GHz quad core...:)
 
Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
11,641
5,096
Bay Area
Drizzt said:
Intel is really making Apple quick with those revisions...

No, not really. This would be the only fast update, if it happens (which I kinda doubt)
iMac: 9 months
MBP: 10 months
mac mini: 8 months
macbook: 5 months and counting

Those are actually wait times that are comparable or longer to what we saw in PPC days.
 
Comment

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
255
0
New York, NY
This is starting to sound like the war of the razors...

Anyone remember when the Mach-3 came out, and everyone thought "wow... three blades. that's a lot!" Now we're up to FIVE... and an extra one on the back.

Just more proof positive that when it comes to Apple you should buy when you need, and enjoy what you've got, cause in two months it'll be replaced anyway.

... okay, I'm done. Eight cores is pretty wild. ;)
 
Comment

parenthesis

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2003
89
0
Here and there
Apple wasn't very quick at adopting the Core2 chips (which are pin-compatible with Core chips), what would make Clovertown any different?

If history serves as a template for the future, then I wouldn't expect anything new until after the holiday season (even though the Mac Pro isn't a consumer device, companies usually aren't looking to spend money on new machines right before the new year starts)
 
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,759
4,617
Drizzt said:
Intel is really making Apple quick with those revisions...

seems unlikely that Clovertown would replace the current Mac Pros... just add another high end config.

arn
 
Comment

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
255
0
New York, NY
parenthesis said:
Apple wasn't very quick at adopting the Core2 chips (which are pin-compatible with Core chips), what would make Clovertown any different?

If history serves as a template for the future, then I wouldn't expect anything new until after the holiday season (even though the Mac Pro isn't a consumer device, companies usually aren't looking to spend money on new machines right before the new year starts)
I personally don't care one way or the other, but I think the major difference here is volume. The C2D was a VERY high-demand item, and Apple wanted to wait until there was sufficient supply to handle the orders they would receive. The 8-core MacPro is a pretty specialized item, so the quanitites are nowhere near as big an issue.
 
Comment

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
7,958
6
zwida said:
OK. I know that many of my apps aren't going to take advantage of this level of multithreaded power, but I can't help but get excited by this development. After so many years of sluggish improvement, it feels like we're in the midst of rapid (and radical) change.
Each process is it's own thread. And most processes have multiple threads. Unless you only always have one program open at a time, more cores always can help speed up your system.
 
Comment

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
353
146
Omaha, NE
QCassidy352 said:
No, not really. This would be the only fast update, if it happens (which I kinda doubt)
iMac: 9 months
MBP: 10 months
mac mini: 8 months
macbook: 5 months and counting

Those are actually wait times that are comparable or longer to what we saw in PPC days.

In all fairness, the MacBook Pro received two minor speed updates:
1>> 1.67GHz / 1.83GHz to 1.83GHz / 2.0GHz
2>> 1.83GHz / 2.0GHz to 2.0GHz / 2.16GHz
 
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,759
4,617
spicyapple said:
It would be the first for Apple. :cool:

If the pricing is any indication, the (low end) Quad Core 2.33GHz Clovertown is the same price as the (high end) 3.0GHz Dual-core Xeon...

so unless the bottom of the line Mac Pro is expected to start at $3298, the current Dual-Core Xeon Mac Pros will stick around.

arn
 
Comment

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
5,212
0
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Oh Yeah - I Will Be Ordering Within Hours Of The Announcement

I am so there with the cash ready a willing to fly out the window to Apple's account sooner than Apple can say:

"8-Core Mac Pro Available At the Apple Online Store For Ordering." :)
 
Comment

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
412
7
kainjow said:
Each process is it's own thread. And most processes have multiple threads. Unless you only always have one program open at a time, more cores always can help speed up your system.

Open and doing something. Safari, Mail, iTunes, and working in photoshop probably won't benefit much from quad cores. Batching in PS, Aperture and doing a render in FCP would.

I am on the brink of buying something. What, time will tell. If the quad core does make a marked difference when running PS and at most one background process I'll consider it. Otherwise its a Dual core 2.66 for me.
 
Comment

prograham

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
79
3
New York
Well based on nothing really except I've been using apple a long time, worked in their retail stores for a while, and know how they like to be cutting edge (yet dependable and pretty), I'd say count on 8 cores for xmas. Maybe not november, but maybe so. I think the thought alone of HP and Dell releasing prosumer workstations with 8 cores leaving Apple behind when Vista launches is just too much to let slide for Apple.
 
Comment

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
880
0
South of Boston, MA
macridah said:
I just got my mac pro a month and a half ago.
Don't worry about it.

There is no reason for Apple to change the MacPro line at this point. Maybe in January, but even then I doubt it.

Intel is just trying to bury AMD, which they are (AMD closed at $20.83 (just think a few months ago they were trading over $40.00) and Intel closed at $21.72 (a few months ago they were trading at $16.00)).

Apple said it last week, Pros are waiting for CS3 before they upgrade, so expect to hear the announcement of upgraded Mac Pros once Adobe finishes up their applications.

Besides wasn't there a thread a few weeks back which stated that the 8 Core machines run slower than the Quads?

Don't worry about it. I know that my new MacPro has already paid for itself.
 
Comment

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
1,675
106
USA
Multimedia said:
I am so there with the cash ready a willing to fly out the window to Apple's account sooner than Apple can say:

"8-Core Mac Pro Available At the Apple Online Store For Ordering." :)
If it has hardware RAID and eSATA I'll be ordering mine within seconds of the announcement...well, after checking the price of course.
 
Comment

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
3,489
4,383
La Jolla, CA
Multimedia said:
I am so there with the cash ready a willing to fly out the window to Apple's account sooner than Apple can say:

"8-Core Mac Pro Available At the Apple Online Store For Ordering." :)

Yeah, I might do the same.
The only thing that keeps me using my Quad G5 now is the fact Adobe CS2 is not universal and the memory price of the new Mac Pro's are soooo high.
But the octo-core for sure will be faster than the quad G5 for non universal Adobe CS2 apps.
Interesting decision to make.
I'll make my mind when this really happens.
 
Comment

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
880
0
South of Boston, MA
prograham said:
Well based on nothing really except I've been using apple a long time, worked in their retail stores for a while, and know how they like to be cutting edge (yet dependable and pretty), I'd say count on 8 cores for xmas. Maybe not november, but maybe so. I think the thought alone of HP and Dell releasing prosumer workstations with 8 cores leaving Apple behind when Vista launches is just too much to let slide for Apple.
And why is that? Christmas is a big time of year to sell Professional Machines? Nope. Expect all of Apple's energy to be going into consumer products for the rest of the year.

Don't be suprirsed that iTV (or dare I say a video iPod) get's launched in November, right before Thanksgiving.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.