8 Feature 8/8+ better than 7 ( Here Look )

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by titrau, Sep 15, 2017.

1. dayloon macrumors 6502

Out of interest, those people who are going for the 8/8 plus instead of the X why have you decided to do so ?

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I'm starting to view the X as more of a beta device, or as a placeholder for a better iPhone next year. I'm sure Face ID will do fine, but I'm not convinced that it will be as useful or practical as Touch ID, which I really like. I can do without the animojis, but I'n glad the 8 series will support AR.

3. MacAttackKev macrumors member

Ultimately price, but even then I never liked the design apple chose for the X when the model was leaked.

On the other hand, it is a new form factor on the iphone and I feel like it's still in its beta stage and hoping next years models and beyond fine tune any issues that come about in these phones.

4. falcon511 macrumors newbie

falcon511

Yeah the same. I was going to wait and pre order the X but it seems like they are rather testing the waters of this new design and see what they can improve upon in the next update. Hopefully they will do a iphone Xs that will have a better price, and features that will be more fleshed out. I am excited for this new look of the iphone but I dont want to jump in right away. I didnt jump in right away when the iphone first released mostly because i didnt have the money, but I waited till the 3gs released and that was a better laid out device.

5. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I'm upgrading to the X, but I ordered a 8 Plus for my wife and will be using it on my line until the X arrives (she doesn't care when she gets a new phone). LOL

Anyway, here are the things I regard as important for this year's upgrades:

1) CAMERA. Camera is always at the top of my life. Specifically, the capability of shooting 4k/60fps is a big deal to me. I shot almost exclusively in 4k on my 7 Plus, but I always wished the video had a smoother frame rate. It also gives you some latitude for slow-mo (including the 240fps slow-motion mode in 1080p). In addition, it may be 12 megapixels still, but they specifically mentioned a new sensor in this year's phone. It will be interesting to see which sensor they are using this year (my guess is it's the same as the one Samsung is using, which has slightly larger pixels than the one in the 7 Plus from last year). The improved ISP should help too, so I expected a modest but noticeable improvement in low-light photography on the 8. Of course, the X is going to be even better with its faster tele lens (F2.4 vs F2.8) and OIS on the tele lens as well. And finally, I'm really interesting in seeing how the new Portrait Lighting mode works and the scene detection. Overall, I think the camera improvements seem to be pretty good, but we'll have to see for sure when the phone comes out.

2) BIONIC CPU & APPLE GPU. This new SOC is killing it in benchmarks, but will it result in even better fluidity and response time? Will apps open even faster? Will encoding and decoding be much faster? Hard to say how much real world difference we'll notice, but one can't help but marvel at Apple's chip design. Either way, this new combo should be able to handle gaming and AR with ease.

3) WIRELESS CHARGING. I think Apple's new wireless charging pad looks cool when it comes out next year, but I'm personally not that wowed by wireless charging. I've been using it on my Samsung phones for the last couple of years, but it's not a game-changer to me. Maybe when they actually have proximity wireless changing in phones it'll make a big difference, but as it stands, it's just not that compelling to place a phone on a wired pad to charge the phone. It's nice when you are at a desk and just want to lay the phone down for a bit to top it off, but most of the time I'm either 1) using my phone while it's charging plugged in, or 2) charging it overnight when wireless charging makes no difference anyway.

4) SPEAKER. 25% increase in speaker volume sounds good, but how noticeable will it be? The iPhone 7 already had pretty decent speakers, but I'll take improvements, especially if the quality remains good with the increase in volume.

5) TRUE TONE SCREEN. I personally don't care about this, but I supposed it's nice to have. The Promotion 120 refresh rate would have made more difference.

6) GOLD COLOR. Not a new "feature" as rightly pointed out, but I think the new color looks great and that's what I ordered for my wife because she liked the way it looked.

SUMMARY: If there was no X, I would only be upgrading to the 8 Plus because of the yearly upgrade path we are on. But it's a more compelling upgrade for someone still on the 6s Plus (many people are still on a 2-year upgrade path, so for these folks, it's a great upgrade). I'm really excited about the X though, but I'm not expecting to be able to get it until very late in the year (or maybe even early next year).

6. titrau thread starter macrumors 65816

titrau

I agree and same boat of my wife .....
    she skip 7 so 8 is right spot for her ... i am man wait for X
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    I think iphone 8 plus batteries much better than 7
    apple doesnt claim about batteries on event but with Bianic A11 chip ... there should improve saver ....

7. mwhals macrumors 6502

mwhals

I wanted to return back to Apple, but I only see what caused me to leave two years ago. I do not like the large size of the plus models nor do I like losing touch ID or the notch of the X. The price is higher than I like too.

I like the form factor of the X for the larger screen, but I will wait and see the Google Pixel 2 XL and LG V30 and then make an ultimate decision of my next phone. Android or iOS is not the driver of my decision as I am proficient with both and like both.

8. lique831 macrumors regular

Face ID. I’m excited about the new features in the 8 and the X, but not ready to give up my home button and Touch ID. I remember when Touch ID first came out and it didn’t work that great and it was frustrating. I’m fine waiting a year or two until they’ve been able to fine tune it based on feedback. Maybe they will have rolled it out to the ipads by then so all the devices are using similar technology.

9. titrau thread starter macrumors 65816

titrau

Which company biggest produce smartphone now ?
    answer = apple

Which company popular and take care good for customer now ?

answer = apple

Which company riches in market now ?

answer = apple

No Choice = Buy whatever apple release is a best option :D

10. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

The best thing about the x that people seem to overlook is the size/screen ratio. It'll just be so awesome to have a smaller phone after this brick of 7+ again without sacrificing the screen! Also the OLED display will just look so much better. It's easy to decide now for the 8 as it's just a small upgrade over something that we already came to love, but once the x is out in the wild people who bought the 8 will have buyers remorse.

11. Rigby, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

Rigby macrumors 601

- Don't want to lose TouchID. I'm sure FaceID is well implemented as Apple features usually are, but I don't think it will have the same ease of use as TouchID when used for Apple Pay, unlocking the phone while it's in the car holder and other scenarios. I also don't like the idea that someone can unlock my phone just by briefly aiming it at my face.

- Size. I like the iPhone SE form factor best when it comes to size. The iPhone 6/7/8 (non-plus) is already borderline too big for my taste, and the X is even bigger.

- Features: The 8/8+ basically has feature parity with the X with the exception of the FaceID sensors, so I don't think I'd lose anything significant (I couldn't care less about "animojis").

- Price: Not a deal-breaker on its own, but I don't like the idea of paying $1000+ for a device that will be outdated in a year or two.

12. Tsquare macrumors member

"Better" is subjective, each person will value one thing over someone else. I have been with Android for about a year now, and I have ordered the 8+256. I was very excited for the X, but after seeing some videos of it in use, I believe the 8+ will make me happier. I went ahead and ordered a Series 3 watch (gps/wifi only) and an ipad pro 10.5". It is time for me to fully embrace apple mobile, and give it a fair shot, like I have Android. Always wanting to be on the cutting edge, if I had an iPhone 7, I would have upgraded to the 8, faster processor and wireless charging is enough for me. I have been using wireless charging for about 6 months now, and I really like it.

13. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

I don't think I'll have buyer's remorse - I'm going from a 6S to an 8. X doesn't interest me.

14. marchrose2011 macrumors 6502

I’m doing the same upgrade from a 6S to an 8. I’m excited for my new phone and I don’t have a desire for the X. I will consider it next year though once it is updated though

15. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

ok, coming from a 6s you'll be happy, gaining portrait mode and all. But coming from a 7... makes no sense to me at all.
    Plus I keep now looking carefully at all the situations when touch ID is required on the phone, like unlocking 1 password, or financing apps or stuff, and it will be so much smoother with face id :)