8 Plus better than the X

tkukoc

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wish I Was In Space!
Essentially they are the same devices. If you just have to have the latest and greatest because of the name on the device then get the X. If you understand basic usability and want more money in your pocket then purchase an 8. It really is that simple. The X offers very little over the 8 series.. and while there are some enhancements to the OS, lack of home button and OLED that doesn't mean you have to run out and get it because Apple is changing everything over night....they aren't. Have to wait another year before "big" things happen.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Bangkok
90% I’m in portrait mode, 10% I’m in Clash of Clans. As a 6 and 7 plus devotee, I’d rather have a smaller width phone for easier one-handed use with more vertical real estate. So what the Verge author considers a negative is a positive for — I would guess — most users. This would be particularly true from users coming from a 6 or 7 (or earlier) devices.

The author also states that the iPad like multi panel displays in landscape mode won’t be available on the X. Is this true?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
It's been known for ages that those moving from the Plus will lose a little bit of space. And if you're someone who needs every square inch available, that might be worth considering. Beyond that, there's really nothing new there.

As for landscape, that's been known for ages too. As someone coming from a Plus, I'm actually happy about this. I rarely use landscape mode today. And when I do, I'm soon reminded of why I don't.

So, based on those two data points, and ONLY those two data points, an argument could be made that the 8 Plus is the better phone.

But it completely ignores all the other benefits. Just one more person cherry-picking facts to match whatever agenda they want to push. Or another person attempting to justify their decisions.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
There are a ton of threads on this already...
Don't you know we need a thread every 3 minutes to fit someone's personal narrative, how to get the Verizon model, if there will be a sim free at launch, how to "secure" your configuration at pre order, what model has more screen real estate, and of course how poorly everyone is managing their financials...the revolving cesspool during pre order week.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's all relative to what the user values. In the case of the 8 plus vs X I think it's a misplaced comparison because the X fills a need for those of us who find the plus model too big for comfort. I've played with the plus models many times. It's not for me. I will be giving the X a try since it's closer to the 4.7" footprint which I enjoy but still want a bigger screen. I'm also excited about being able to finally having an optical zoom in my camera. Make that a double optical zoom.

ckurt25

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
90% I’m in portrait mode, 10% I’m in Clash of Clans. As a 6 and 7 plus devotee, I’d rather have a smaller width phone for easier one-handed use with more vertical real estate. So what the Verge author considers a negative is a positive for — I would guess — most users. This would be particularly true from users coming from a 6 or 7 (or earlier) devices.

The author also states that the iPad like multi panel displays in landscape mode won’t be available on the X. Is this true?
Yeah, as 7 Plus owner more times I'm frustrated with accidental screen rotation than I'm happy with it. I like the larger screen but the landscape mode going away won't be something I miss with the X.

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I’ve been a plus user for over 3 years now and not worried about losing a little real estate.

The other day I was also just thinking how much more I use my phone in portrait over landscape.

Taking photos and watching some YouTube videos is the only time my iPhone is in landscape.

The other 95% of the time it’s in portrait which is where the X is bigger technically.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Great article which makes valid points on how the screen on the 8 plus is the biggest area wise. Also the lack of landscape mode features in the iPhone X is less features for more money. Some on the 7 plus may find the iPhone X a downgrade.

Read on - https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/10/23/16519388/iphone-8-plus-vs-iphone-x-comparison
There’s one thing that i will give credit on in regards to iphone 8 series. It’s the lcd screen. Apparently there has been reports that pixel 2/xl have burin-in due to p-oled screen. I don’t know how iphone x will do. It may not burn in with samsung screen so...it has yet to be tested.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
Great article which makes valid points on how the screen on the 8 plus is the biggest area wise. Also the lack of landscape mode features in the iPhone X is less features for more money. Some on the 7 plus may find the iPhone X a downgrade.

Read on - https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/10/23/16519388/iphone-8-plus-vs-iphone-x-comparison
The display width & landscape mode issues are exactly what I have seen just by running the simulator in Xcode. $200 more expensive, but in several ways a huge downgrade. Going to wait for an iPhone X Plus next year, which is a very likely addition to the lineup, making the current form factor a replacement for the non-Plus iPhone 8.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
If you are on the 6S or 7, there's ZERO point to getting an 8.

Other than battery life issues I expect to be resolved with 11.1, the 6S & 7 (along with their Plus versions) are smooth as butter.

There's only one upgrade option, and that's the X. Forget about the 8. Period.

The reason is that the iPhone's newest tech is best experienced on the X rather than the 8:

wireless charging
dual cameras with OIS on both
256GB storage
3GB ram
A11 Bionic
FaceID
Greatly reduced bezel's
Larger screen
OLED Samsung screen

All this is worth the price of the X at this time.

I suppose you can say the 8 is halfway between the 7 and X, but at the price they are asking ($50 than the 7's launch), you might as well spring for the X.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Just what those who are trying to justify the 8 over the x want to hear. A new design and a new screen is worth it for a little less screen
I went Samsung Galaxy 8 Plus over Iphone X for a bunch of reasons. Bigger screen, lighter, higher resolution, bigger battery, Samsung say, google ecosystem. If I were buying an Iphone I'd get the X because of the smaller form factor than the Iphone 8 Plus and the better screen.

inkahauts

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014

Other than battery life issues I expect to be resolved with 11.1, the 6S & 7 (along with their Plus versions) are smooth as butter.

The reason is that the iPhone's newest tech is best experienced on the X rather than the 8:

wireless charging
256GB storage
3GB ram
A11 Bionic
FaceID
Greatly reduced bezel's
Larger screen
OLED Samsung screen

I suppose you can say the 8 is halfway between the 7 and X, but at the price they are asking ($50 than the 7's launch), you might as well spring for the X.
I know several people who had 6s plus and just got 8 pluses and are extremely happy. The camera is a huge upgrade.

So there is a huge reason to get an 8 over an older model.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
There’s one thing that i will give credit on in regards to iphone 8 series. It’s the lcd screen. Apparently there has been reports that pixel 2/xl have burin-in due to p-oled screen. I don’t know how iphone x will do. It may not burn in with samsung screen so...it has yet to be tested.
The Pixel XL 2 is using an LG display. Apple has a contract with Samsung and it's been rumored after the contract ends, they were are using LG as a manufacturer for future OLED displays.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/28/apple-investing-billions-in-lg-for-oleds-report/amp/

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I went Samsung Galaxy 8 Plus over Iphone X for a bunch of reasons. Bigger screen, lighter, higher resolution, bigger battery, Samsung say, google ecosystem. If I were buying an Iphone I'd get the X because of the smaller form factor than the Iphone 8 Plus and the better screen.
Technically you didn’t go S8 over the X cause that would mean you had a choice lol. And the X isn’t out or available yet. It’s not even available for pre orders yet so it’s not in the bag you would even get one lol

deivydas

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
Vilnius, Lithuania
Few months ago i had Galaxy S8 and i bought it just because it looked sensational, inovative and had a big (at least i thought) screen (5.8") in a small body. But the reality was totally opposite: screen felt extremely, i mean EXTREMELY small. And that's the main reason why i bough iPhone 8+ (bigger screen and the same performance) instead X.
When Apple will release X with bigger screen (like S8+, or Note 8), then i will buy it in a heartbeat :)

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK

wireless charging
256GB storage
3GB ram
A11 Bionic
FaceID
Greatly reduced bezel's
Larger screen
OLED Samsung screen

Just a reminder. We are talking about the 8 Plus, not 8. The original iPhone 8, I strongly agree with your points but 8 Plus? It has everything the X has bar OLED and improved face camera. The 8 Plus has a bigger screen to make up for it though.

Face ID "better" than Touch ID is subjective. For example, I instead got an 8+ simply because it has Touch ID. I'm not ready for Face ID.