Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Why do Android phones have so much better battery lives though? Everybody says that iPhones are optimised etc yet Androids last longer.
I've been thinking about purchasing an Android phone.

• Haha
Reactions: PantherKang

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
I created a shortcut to automatically turn on airplane mode when I enter my home network (WiFi calling is a thing) and to turn it off when I leave the WiFi network.

I made another one to automatically turn on low power mode when night mode turns on after sun set because that is also roughly the time of the day where my battery is around 50%.

I also have background refresh completely OFF because it never made a difference to me (functionality-wise)
It just works

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Location consumes a lot of battery.
It annoys me a lot that e.g. weather widgets absolutely need the location or the weather widget on the lock screen.

I would also like to be able to set the intervals at which apps are allowed to locate (every hour, every 3 hours, etc.).
This is actually a good point. If I need weather in my home town. It shouldn't need to use gps data to give me that each morning.

Reactions: Reggaenald

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
I never turn off always on display. Limiting location access for certain apps can indeed improve battery life.

Reactions: Reggaenald

michelb76

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2016
These will all lead to marginal savings. Watching videos, making calls and having your screen on will take up the most battery.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I've not changed any settings in order to improve battery life. But I really don't want to extend my battery life at the expense of switching things off!

Especially as I can often get three days out of my phone before needing to charge.

Of course, it would be great to have the 7+ days from back in the days of Nokia 6310i - but I don't need that at all!

Vital - a full day of unrestricted use;
Highly desirable - will last a second day if I cannot (or forget to) charge overnight;
Nice to have - longer life so that charge cycles are kept as low as possible.

(I'm not forgetting that some people use their phones more intensively than I do! This is how it works out for me.)

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
This is actually a good point. If I need weather in my home town. It shouldn't need to use gps data to give me that each morning.

If you do not travel a lot, you do not have to use location services for the weather app to have the widget working, just long press on the weather widget, settings and select "city xy" instead of "current location" and the widget will start showing the weather (of your city) instead of "location services disabled"

MikeX

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
among the dumbest advices this article is on the top 3. and most important tip is like number 7. no sorting, no based on real evidence, no mention of real impact. just a b.s. text. such low quality.

my advice: switch the phone off. how is that for #11.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
These tips are all great in a situation, where battery life is crucial, but I use almost all these features in my daily routine, except maybe proximity AirDrop.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I get that these changes would lead to some level extended battery life on a single charge.

But it doesn't make sense to talk about and present these tips as helpful without clear data on exactly how much of an improvement they make.

I'm not saying testing this out would be easy, or that I don't think any of them make a difference.

But I wouldn't blindly disable various settings and features as the potential improvement in battery life is unknown.

Reactions: tooloud10

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Setting weather widgets as a specific location instead of to check location all the time helps too... if you mostly stay in the same area (and can swipe tiles in weather app when out of town)

background app refresh off is a good one too as mentioned in here

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
Or desperation style old standbys...kill (as appropriate) WIFI and/or Cellular and/or Bluetooth in settings. Or Hell, go to Airplane Mode. The antennas suck juice and if you don't need one or the other, shut it off. Turn all back on when you are in a better situation. Apologies if someone else has mentioned this.

Last edited:

mindsaspire

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
Tip 9. Turn off the 80% battery charging limit under the Battery settings to magically extend your battery life in a day an extra 20% after a full charge.

• Haha
Reactions: rocketbuc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.