8 vs 8 plus vs X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kulfon, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Kulfon macrumors 6502

Kulfon

Folks, this is photo related question.
    Currently have 6s. Wanted to get better IQ. I was sure I am going to get the X until it was announced it will not have touch it and will have face it. No go!
    So I am left with 8 vs 8 plus. I like the portrait mode. Is it only availble with 8 plus? Plus is large for me.
    Another option is to use 1000$ for a compach camera.

2. RumorsReal, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2017

RumorsReal Suspended

RumorsReal

Portrait mode is only available on the plus versions.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Camera will take better pictures for $1000, but as mentioned portrait is Plus only.

4. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

You want the best image quality, want portrait mode, but the 8 Plus is too large? Sounds like you want an X.
    You are denouncing TouchID's replacement before ever using it.

5. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

Yes, I am. There are many things that I did not try in life to know they are wrong for me. Too much tention around X....production issues, privacy and security concerns, delays, etc

6. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

Keep in mind that credit card companies are confident enough in Face ID to allow it to be used to authenticate payments. I think security concerns have been way overblown.

7. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

If you want to stay in the iPhone ecosystem, it's looking like you're going to have to switch to FaceID eventually anyway. It is replacing TouchID. It's 20x more secure than TouchID. It works when your fingers are wet. If you're unlocking your screen it's to look at your phone, and when you look at it it will be unlocked automatically. Pretty convenient.

Anyway, why would the rumored production issues and delays have any bearing in your decision? It's going to be available in less than three weeks now.

I just feel like a lot of the FaceID negativity is a groupthink effect.

8. Vermifuge, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Over all the X has the better camera system. The cameras along with OIS will work together to create better images especially in low light situations. Plus the X has Dual OIS and a wider aperture. If all you care about are photos the 8 would still be a significant downgrade over the 8 Plus IMO. You're better off with a separate camera if thats important to you.

The best camera is the one you have with you.

9. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

Why it is so hard to understand? I do not want ANYTHING to scan my face. Besides, can you unlock a phone with face id when it is in your pocket? I can and I do. Very convenient. I can unlock it when it is on a table away from me just to check if I have messages. I do not have to pick it up. I can be the 1% that hates the idea, bit it is what it is.

10. apolloa macrumors G4

You lot seriously need to get it this ‘privacy issue’ gravy train... your info is in far more worst places already that you most likely don’t know about, or choose to not think no about.
    Wake up to the world you live in where like it or not, your data is sold as a commodity every day.

Got a link to prove credit card companies and banks have backed Face ID? And I don’t mean what Apple claims either.

11. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I cannot get over this argument about unlocking in your pocket. Makes no sense to me. You still have to look at the thing at some point. It’s the same system they implemented once people said touchid is too fast. It unlocks, you can read any notifications, then swipe up to go to homescreen. Possibly you’ll be able to turn that off so once it authenticates it goes right to homescreen. The user would miss notifications that way but then it would be no ‘loss’ when argued against this magical pocket unlock.

12. RumorsReal Suspended

RumorsReal

I work for a medium sized bank and can say that our devopers have already said they aren't looking to change anything with the app anytime soon. So faceid support for at least us is not going to happen for a while for just one phone. Either way that is why I got the iPhone 8 plus. Not interested in lifting the phone to my face anytime I need to login to apps or anything that required the touch Id.

13. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

...you can use Face ID to authenticate Apple Pay transactions. Apple demoed this on stage. If credit card companies didn’t feel it was a strong enough method of security, there’s no way that would be allowed since they would be the ones on the hook for reimbursing any fraudulent transactions.

14. bopajuice, Oct 15, 2017

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

So the solution is to accept the fact that we are a commodity and give “the world” another way to circumvent our privacy? Sounds like something a sheep would do. Blindly follow and don’t ask questions.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2017 ---
    While driving I place my phone in a mount in my cup holder in my center console. Sometimes I want to check something, use Touch ID while in the holder and continue driving. I don’t have to take it out of the holder and hold it up to my face to use it and I seriously doubt Face ID would recognize my face from the viewing angle in my car.

There is just as much resistance to the idea that face ID is the not the “magical” solution and the end all be all of unlocking a phone. It’s not. There are some valid reasons why Face ID would not be practical to some people. I gotta go... the gravy train is coming...

15. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

This is a legitimate downside. I was speaking specifically about unlocking in your pocket. However, you don’t know that it won’t see your face from the mount. Then all you’d have to do is tap to wake and swipe up after verification.

16. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

All in all, there many-many situations when I unlock a phone while not looking at it and while not holding it. I staryed paying attention now....because I have some habits that work perfectly with touch id. I would not be able to unlock a phone with face id as conveniently

17. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Surely after you do this you then look at the phone to use it. Currently the option for ‘rest finger to open’ exists so you do not have to click to get to the home screen. Possibly the same will exist with faceid, meaning as soon as it authenticates it will open to home screen. No loss there, except your notifications, which you already skip I suppose.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

why are people turning this into another Face ID vs. Touch ID thread? OP said he doesn't want the X; you can agree or disagree with his reasons, but that's not what the thread is about. The question in the thread is about cameras on 8 vs 8 plus, so let's answer that.

OP: yes, the plus has portrait mode, and the 8 does not. The plus has dual lenses, which the 8 does not. The extra lens on the plus is the f/2.8 telephoto lens for 2x optical zoom. Other than that, the cameras should be the same.

19. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Conversation got to that point because seemingly the X is the solution for the OP (or purchasing a camera). Downside of the X for the OP is faceid, for plus is the size. Perfectly reasonable to discuss his reasons for said decision.

20. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

Oh man. Why don’t you want anything scanning your face? No data that is able to recreate your face is ever stored on the phone. It’s all encrypted through irreversible algorithms. Never leaves the phone.

Why on earth would you ever need to unlock a phone in your pocket? Are you then using the phone without looking at it? No, you’re not. When you need to use your phone, you look at it, and that’s when it will be unlocked for you.

For the table thing, you don’t know yet what the angle on the FaceID sensors will be. Seems to be pretty good, so you may be able to just tap the phone while it’s on the table and it will unlock. Likely if you’re at a good enough angle to see the screen you’ll be at a good enough angle for FaceID.

21. Vermifuge, Oct 15, 2017

Vermifuge

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 2.17.37 PM.png

22. apolloa macrumors G4

But is that just to use Face ID to open your app, or will it also mean your bank will not support Face ID for Apple Pay linked to one of your accounts?

Yeah exactly, Apple demoed it... shake they have yet to mention a single bank that will support Face ID and Apple Pay with their accounts, let’s see what the guy above says?

Well unless you have the power to change capitalism and the world at large then yeah, get used to your personal data being used as a commodity and stop complaining about it already. Because I doubt you have the power to change the world in that way.

23. Vermifuge, Oct 15, 2017

Vermifuge

Thats not how it works.

When an iOS developer wants an app user to authenticate (using biometric ID) they can't specify how that authentication is performed. They use code that asks iOS to perform that action. Apple calls it "Local Authentication framework."

This code ignores the method used for authentication. The developer never knows whether TouchID™ or FaceID™ is used for verification. ANY app that supports TouchID™ will automatically support FaceID™ on the iPhone X.

Basically this means if an app already support TouchID™ The app will already work with FaceID™ App developers don't need to do anything special to enable this. Conversely banks will have to stop using biometric identification all together as the only way to stop FaceID™ being used thereby disabling TouchID™. This scenario is unlikely to happen as it would upset current customers of those apps.

24. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

25. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Not complaining at all or expecting to change capitalism. My issue is with the comments here making it sound like Face ID is some sort of magical solution that will forever change the world. If I had a complaint it would be about the ridiculous over the top fanboy comments. It's a phone. A feature on a phone. It won't cure cancer or change the world. Sorry.