80 dollars... FOR A POWER ADAPTOR?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mushrooshi, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Hi, um, I use my Macbook everyday in both my room and in my home theatre, where I play games. I use my macbook alot, so using the battery isn't an option. I was looking to purchase another power adaptor, but the price is 80 dollars... Why? Isn't that a bit too expensive?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Do you want to be able to charge your computer? Then it's not too expensive.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

yes, it is a little expensive, but what are you going to do, it is what it is

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you go to dell and search for
    " AC Power Adapter with 6 ft Power Cord for Dell XPS M2010 Laptop"?

"Starting Price" $120

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd hunt around Amazon or even eBay for a new power adapter. Keep in mind the MagSafe connector is proprietary to Apple. You're not going to see third party versions of it.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I picked up a 3rd party version of it on ebay for $35 or $40.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just wish they'd settle on a design. It used to be you could interchange iBook and PowerBook adapters. Now you've got different adapters for each laptop model.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

They are still interchangeable, although you might find that if you're using the MacBook Pro with a MacBook adapter, that it might not charge the battery very well.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You found a Third Party MAG-SAFE adapter, or an older adapter like the PowerBooks used to use?

I've never seen any third party adapters for the MacBooks/MacBook Pro's.

10. gonyr macrumors 6502

If you're lucky, you might be able find a used one on ebay. I'm sure there are people out there with broken computers that are parting them out.

Also, there are definitely 3rd part mag-safe adapters on ebay, but they look like cheap, knockoff junk.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

:D:D:D:D:D

"A jar of dirt? Does it help?"
    "if you don't like it give it back"
    "NO!"
    "then it helps"

I agree. I've paid for regular laptop adapters (other brands) for similar price. Heck buy a charger for a Passlode Nail gun then come back to me. 80 is natta. This isn't a fanboi attitude either, this is life. Deal with it.

12. Puddinman macrumors member

I just had to buy one myself, and while I agree its expensive, its not horribly out of line with what other manufacturers charge for their ac adapters. And do not buy a "3rd Party" mag-safe connector. They are CHEAP knockoffs that at best don't work after awhile and at worst can destroy your battery and/or laptop. I know because my friend bought one on ebay that screwed up his battery and thus had to buy not only a $70 adapter but a $129 battery!

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I wouldn't mind.. if they were decent quality. We've had 3 fail out of 4 MBPs we've bought. :eek:

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Sadly as Apple will not allow 3rd parties to develop adaptors, you are pretty much stuck with their price, if you really want to find a lower price then search Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, or the MarketPlace here when you become eligible. But is it really that much of a big deal carrying it all around, I have done it going in and out of school each day this year and I didn't have a problem with it.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but yes, i do think 80 bucks is on the expensive end. i feel they should be 40ish

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Given that Apple now charges for a remote that should come with any remote-able computer, I don't see it as being far off when they charge extra for a power adaptor. Or at least give you a "slow charge" adaptor and you can upgrade to a so-called "quick charge."

But $80 is what it is and if you need it, you'll take it like a man and pony up the cash.

17. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I agree! It's to expensive, were always getting screwed by these companies, and anyone who vouches for a company that charges 80 dollars for a power supply has become a slave to the capitalists. Wake up!

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, a powersupply for my 1 year old lenovo (original) is about $20 at ebay. I'm certain if you check ebay for a while you might get a MB powersupply for $30.

aside of that try craigslist. a lot of people drop their notebooks and sell parts.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Please share your cost analysis?

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I couldn't resist posting the fact that I have indeed bought one of these before, and yes, specifically Passlode. :D ;) :cool:

21. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would enjoy hearing this too, I don't see them making all that much of a profit for an extra power-adaptor. And from my POV, anything that is an extra should come at a premium price, after all, you are paying for a luxury of the sort (in means of having more than one). But if the first one broke on its own part, then it should be a replacement and the user shouldn't have to worry about the price.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

there is none, i just know when i looked at getting a spare one in the past i was like whoa forget that. whereas i was expecting cheaper. thus i didnt get one. i guess 40-50 is the price i would pay to get one and think its reasonable. but then again i have no idea how much it costs to make one

same feeling when im at say vegas and go get a scoop of icecream only to find its 8-9 bucks. shouldnt be that high

23. epiphany macrumors regular

I'll share it.
    When I worked for a subsidiary of HP as hardware project manager, the BOM cost for a UL/CE/TUV, etc certified adapter was...$12 . (What we were charged by the vendor.)HP, meanwhile, was charging....$80!

I told the program manager that rather than making our product, with a measly margin of 20%, we should just be selling adapters on eBay.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess my point is that the OEM prices for notebook power adapters are almost all uniformly this high, as pointed out above -- Apple's price is not the equivalent of ice cream in Las Vegas.

Do I think there is a high profit margin on them? Probably. That's typical for that type of accessory.

Do I think more people (a lot more) would buy them if they were cheaper? Mmmm... I dunno. Power adapters for cell phones are dirt cheap and it's been years and several cell phones since I bought one separately. I'm not aware that they're a significant source of revenue or profit to cell manufacturers (I suspect they're not).

And why should Apple be motivated to get into lower margin sales for products that aren't hotly desired anyways?

But either way, Apple is merely doing what everyone else is doing. Observing that their power adapters should cost $40 is not like comparing ice cream in Las Vegas on the strip to ice cream in Baskin Robbins down the street. It's like observing that a bottle of Courvoisier costs $24 at the grocery store, and contains twenty shots, and so a shot at the nightclub should be $1.20. It ignores the fact that you're paying for the parted out product provided to you at convenience. The costs of parting out and selling accessories probably don't entirely justify selling a power adapter for $80 or 120, but they're not trivial either.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Shhhh, don't give them ideas!

I'd also like to point out that electronics manufacturers don't make all that much on each device sold. They're expensive to produce so the profit margin usually isn't high. Where they do make money is on accessories, like a Remote or extra Power Adapter and especially software.