Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epiphany

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
Rocklin,CA
In Apple's case, specifically for the recent pre-MagSafe years, I'm sure they sell plenty of replacement adapters. They fail at a fairly high rate due to faulty design. So, you can buy them at the Apple Store, and pay $80+, or at MacWizards and pay $38, or eBay and pay $25. With that much margin, there's always going to be other players. In addition, there is obviously plenty of demand. The supply doesn't exist without it, in this case.

Same goes for cell phones. I've needed replacements and/or additions for Nokia and Sony-E, and ATT would have happily provided me with them..for $40. Again, hello eBay.

Adapters live in the space between hardware and consumables, but their margins are in the consumables category. Don't give me a song and dance about how they 'don't sell too many'; they do, and they'd sell more if they didn't have 3rd parties to contend with.

But they've done their analysis, and there are enough peeps out there unwilling or unable to do the research to find cheaper alternatives.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
yes they're expensive, but its a fact of life. your going to have to deal with it i'm afraid.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
:D:D:D:D:D

"A jar of dirt? Does it help?"
"if you don't like it give it back"
"NO!"
"then it helps"

This isn't a fanboi attitude either, this is life. Deal with it.

Did I say, "A jar of dirt?" *incredulous smirk* When?

Thank you for agreeing with me, though. Either buy it new, buy it from eBay, or don't charge your laptop.

At least with gas you can go to one of the chain stations owned by the Venezuelans and get it a few cents cheaper per gallon. Of course, their President hates our country...

LondonGooner

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Did I say, "A jar of dirt?" *incredulous smirk* When?

Thank you for agreeing with me, though. Either buy it new, buy it from eBay, or don't charge your laptop.

At least with gas you can go to one of the chain stations owned by the Venezuelans and get it a few cents cheaper per gallon. Of course, their President hates our country...

boohoo, everyone hates america :(

Seriously stop whining

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.