Price Advice 800 for Core2Duo MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by t0rr3s, Apr 20, 2012.

1. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Need your input on this before I pull the trigger. Been looking for a mba for basic tasks such as word processing/email/basic photo editing when I'm out and about. I already have a quadcore 15" mbp and macpro stationed at home for the heavy lifting.

Found this for 800. Should I bite?

MBA 13"
    Core 2 duo 2.13GHz
    4GB RAM
    256GB SSD
    Geforce 320m

2. simsaladimbamba

3. t0rr3s thread starter macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

No warranty on it though. I've been looking for a set with 256gb and 4gb for some time, so atm am very tempted.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. t0rr3s thread starter macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

yes, but i'll be on the move a lot more now 12-14 hrs daily and with all the other gear, i could really do with a lighter machine.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's really funny that you have a stay at home laptop. If I didn't consider a laptop portable, I'd replace it with a desktop. The only reason people don't do this as much with Macs is that the desktop options are ass unless you're looking at very high price points.

I don't know how fast that one is. It's not a bad price relative to Apple's refurb pricing, but Apple charges too much for older model refurbs at times as they're typically still based heavily on the original price. This should be fine for your needs. It doesn't sound like a great deal, but it doesn't sound that bad either given that 256GB is still an upgrade even today. I'd see if you can talk him down a little :D. Check the display. Check for quirky behavior. You don't want someone's water damaged machine. Others on here have fallen for that.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Go to the apple store, check out the refurbished section, and check what you would pay for a similar refurbished computer. Take the price difference and check what you get less: You have no or less warranty, and if the computer is say 17 months old then you can expect it to last 17 months less than a new computer.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Computer failures don't work that way. Component failures are much more staggered than that. Of course if there's a known issue or it's a truly old computer, that is cause for concern. Overall I'd just wait for Ivy Bridge and buy a new one. I think the OP's stay at home laptop is silly.

9. t0rr3s thread starter macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I have 2 apartments, one in the city and another with the family which is why I always have 2 or more computers at the same time. Plus, work gets me another mac. I bring the mbp everywhere and my work now requires a lot more commuting which is why I'm looking to reduce kit weight a tad.

Thanks for the input lads. Cheers.