800mhz DDR2 RAM for Nvidia White MacBook??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smadder, Mar 21, 2009.

1. smadder macrumors member

I am considering selling my Aluminum Macbook 2.0Ghz and getting the entry white MacBook w/ Nvidia chipset. Swapping the hard drives and then purchasing a RAM upgrade will end up putting about $250 back in my wallet, which I desperately need right now.

Has anyone tried swapping out the standard 667Ghz DDR2 RAM for 800mhz DDR2 RAM? Does the system recognize the chips as 800mhz or does it only "see" them at 667mhz?

4GB of 800 costs as much as 4GB of 667 (Newegg, of course) and I'll want to take the white Macbook up to 4GB. I just want to know if I can eke out a tad more speed. The Nvidia site says the 9400M chipset will support 800Mhz DDR2, but I want to make sure OSX doesn't choke it down.

Has anyone tried this? Please help...

2. mBurns macrumors 6502

I have been considering purchasing a white MacBook. There was a thread (can't remember where it is) that showed the indeed, it took 800 Mhz frequency ram after the popped it in..

Miles

3. Johnny4rmSP310 macrumors newbie

how about the early 2008 white macbook,... does that one recognize the 800mhz ram too or is it set to only accept 667mhz?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Unless the motherboards are drastically different than others, it will clock the ram to the highest shared supported speed of the two modules.

5. smadder thread starter macrumors member

only 667

The Intel boards used in all pre-aluminum MacBooks only take 667 maximum.

6. smadder thread starter macrumors member

I kind of figured but wanted to see if someone had given it a shot. I'm encouraged by the responses though, and will give it a shot. In the end it is 't a huge speed difference, but like many tech geeks, I want to get the maximum speed out of the entire system.

7. drjsway macrumors 6502a

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do they even make that?

9. baseballdude345 macrumors newbie

It is my understanding that the white and black Macbooks but do not support over 667 MHz of RAM. I recently upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB of RAM on my white Mac book. I was looking for the highest possible upgrade I could buy, but 4 GB at 667 MHz was all that my Mac book supported.

You might want to check with your local Apple store or the online store for the exact memory specs. Post a comment reply please, because I'm wondering if I can update my Mac book even more. Good luck.

10. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No the aluminium MacBook uses DDR3 and the polycarbonate MacBook uses DDR2. That's why I was confused where they sold 1066MHz DDR2.

12. kissjd macrumors newbie

It does work on nvidia white macbook!

I can confirm that DDR2 800 mhz memory works in the Nvidia White Macbook.

I am unsure if the x3100 intel model supports it or not.

13. linguist macrumors member

confirmed , I've upgraded to 4GB 800 mhz DDR2 (2 x 2Gb)
    transcend brand works on my new macbook white (early 2009)

14. MrGando macrumors member

Wow this are awesome news, another reason to buy the white macbook a shame I don't have the money now.

Would it get discontinued soon ? :(

15. tripletaker macrumors member

I think it would last until at least the new MacBook refresh. But they might keep it for another iteration as it's the cheapest Mac laptop and if they got rid of it, they would have to have a aluminum MacBook for that price.

By the way, now is the best time to buy one of these as Microcenter has a $200 rebate. That's the lowest price I've ever seen for a new MacBook. Here is the link: Microcenter.

16. hndn macrumors regular

Yeah, I got mine last week, $800, can't go wrong. I didn't wanna wait 'til summer for the back to school deal (free itouch) cuz, really, I don't need the itouch.

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

www.crucial.com also confirmed that the PC6400 would work in either the previous gen iMacs and the current get white books but you won't get any speed benefit from it in the whitebook, its just backward compatible...

18. relativist macrumors regular

So far no one has answered the question of if 800MHz ram works at 800MHz in the nVidia white Macbook, or at least not decisively. I'd like to know too. Thanks much.

19. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Highest for DDR2 is 800MHz, not 1066MHz. 1066MHz is the entry line for DDR3

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...read one post above your's...I did.

21. relativist macrumors regular

Thanks, I guess we can trust crucial about this... I'll stick with my 667MHz 4GB DDR2 then. Only thing I could do I guess is get faster cas ram, but I don't think it's worth it. Here's a link to a review http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp03.html Wonder if it's valid for the newer 9400m based Macbooks.

22. smadder thread starter macrumors member

It Works!!!!

Just wanted to let you know that the new, white MacBook (Nvidia) does take 800mhz DDR2 RAM and runs it at the full 800Mhz in both OSX and Windows (via Boot Camp). It also recognizes the full 4GB. I honestly can't tell the performance difference between this and the 2.0Ghz aluminum model I got rid of. I guess the extra 266mhz RAM speed difference isn't as big as I thought it would be, making this a huge money saver. It isn't aluminum and doesn't have the cool touchpad and LED screen, but I got firewire back and everything else specs out identically.

Also, the Microcenter $200 rebate is a killer. I qualify for the Apple Store education discount, and that is still $1060 after taxes and before the $40 aftermarket RAM upgrade. Microcenter's rebate (and NewEgg $40 RAM kit) program ended up costing me $900 in the end, taxes included, saving me $150 total. That's $900 for an Nvidia MacBook (and I swapped out my old 320GB drive and am selling the 120GB drive and RAM on eBay to get a few more bucks back). A long as you don't mind waiting for the rebate check, it's an unbeatable deal. The rebate expires soon, so go check it out.

23. johnny13oi macrumors member

To also add on yes I have tried it too and it works in both OSX and Windows at 800Mhz. I benchmarked with original drivers and no changes to Vista at 1930 3dMark06. I am pretty sure I can push this past 2000 after several modifications with Vista and different drivers.

24. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Has anyone tried DDR3 RAM in the white Macbook? Since it uses the Nvidia 9400M chipset, which is what the Aluminum models use, is there not a reasonable chance that it'll work with DDR3?

25. johnny13oi macrumors member