Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Problem not solved, you don't have to rely on your computer for important phone calls, texts.
If yer afraid of running so many apps concurrently that your phone crashes then the obvious solution is to not run that many apps concurrently. So, yes, problem solved. You can choose to multitask or you can choose to not multitask. The phone doesn't force you keep open a half dozen apps at all times.

I may not have to rely on my computer for important phone calls and texts but I do rely on my computer for my living. If my cell dies I have the options of a traditional land line, VOIP, e-mail, IM, or texting from my computer. If my computer goes down I'm in trouble. In my line of work one can't just call the TV network and be like, "I might not be able to finish my edit on time because my computer keeps crashing. Is it okay if we air the new episode of the show next week?" Have I done things, multitasking type things, that have made my computer crash? Yes. Many times. Would I wish that my computer couldn't multitask? Hell no. I just avoid doing things like keeping too many apps open or running certain apps concurrently that tend to cause my computer to crash.

Just because Apple says multitasking is bad doesn't mean it's bad. Steve Jobs said flash-based MP3 players were bad. He said getting into the cell phone business was bad. He said video iPods were bad. Apple's MO is to pretty much bash what they don't offer then trumpet the awesomeness of those same features/products once they offer them.

Lethal

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Is THAT why people buy more Daewoos than Mercedes?

People buy what they can afford. All things being equal, I don't think many people would take a cheap Nokia candybar over an iPhone.

First of all, Mercedes sells WAY more than Daewoo, which doesn't even exist in the US anymore.

Second of all, the supplied data (which shows Nokia sells 5x the number of devices) is specificallly the smart phone market, not these "candybar" phones, which means they are all on-par with the iPhone with respect to price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.