Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
I got My MBP before apple Reviled that $1.99 i can Upgrade it to Wirells N. If i find a person with an Newer MBP that has N already could I System restore with their Disk to get the N-Enabler free?

Has anyone thought of this or tried it?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
If you know someone who has already bought the enabler you can use it on your own MBP. It's not licensed to any particular user or machine.

On the other other hand you could just suck it up and spend the $1.99 yourself. Maybe go without that coffee tomorrow morning.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
On the other other hand you could just suck it up and spend the $1.99 yourself. Maybe go without that coffee tomorrow morning.

I don't Drink Coffee they should just Give it to the Edu discounts. and I really don't want to give in to Apple.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I don't Drink Coffee they should just Give it to the Edu discounts. and I really don't want to give in to Apple.

If you have an issue with $1.99 then you have more things to worry about then 802.11n

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
If you know someone who has already bought the enabler you can use it on your own MBP. It's not licensed to any particular user or machine.

So If i did know someone They could Just email it to me correct for example My brother lives 8 hours away.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
So If i did know someone They could Just email it to me correct for example My brother lives 8 hours away.

Yes, but if your brother or someone else paid the $1.99 for it, you would be compromising your principles by using that particular file. I think you should stick to your guns over this. Stick it to Apple.

I really think you're out of luck getting this without giving into Apple in some way.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
My brother dosen't have it, and no one i know has it. I would like it though, by sticking it to apple i just don't want to donate to their pocket, I would rather have it granted to be by one of you nice people.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
My brother dosen't have it, and no one i know has it. I would like it though, by sticking it to apple i just don't want to donate to their pocket, I would rather have it granted to be by one of you nice people.
You're not trying very hard then. This IS Ceti A...the internet.

lurker777

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
You've spent a lot more than 1.99 trying to get around it at this point

Thought you were a big fanboy (by your sig) why not contribute 1.99 the the big A and see it get put to good use

Like half a second of Steve's bonus!

mkgm1

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
Think about it this way - you'd be paying Steve Jobs 2 years of his salary.

I can understand your point though...it does kind of suck that you have to pay extra to get it enabled on principle...but it is only $1.99.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'm going to suggest that you stick by your principles and show apple by spending that $1.99 which they will, in turn, 'revile.'

But seriously. $2.

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
You have all got off track, on Insisting that $2 is not alot of money.

There's always someone who's trying to get something for nothing. Just like the guy who wants to merge at the last possible minute in traffic while we all waited like we were supposed to in the first place. The reason that people are giving you a hard time is because you're being a cheapskate who would rather see us spend our money and you reap the benefits. You're looking to stick it to Apple? Riiiight. You're saying you want to screw Apple and in the same line you say they're supposed to give you something for nothing because you're in school? Maybe they should pay for your books too while they're at it. Get real and pay your own way like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Furthermore, you're specificially asking for us to defraud the developers of the software (not just Apple or Steve Jobs, but the software developers who get paid to provide that software) out of their money by soliciting for pirated software on a public board.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
2 ****ing dollars
*headdesk*

They're not out to rob you here you know, it's something to do with accounting, they have to charge a nominal fee for changes to the advertised specifications of hardware, or they'd just have released it via software update for free.

sheesh, 2 lousy dollars, yet you don't mind forking out for a 802.11N router
(btw, if you bought the airport extreme from apple, you have the enabler on a disk that came with it, they included it in the price.)

[.edit] Woah, auto censoring!

Atomic-Ed

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
2 ****ing dollars
*headdesk*

They're not out to rob you here you know, it's something to do with accounting, they have to charge a nominal fee for changes to the advertised specifications of hardware, or they'd just have released it via software update for free.

sheesh, 2 lousy dollars, yet you don't mind forking out for a 802.11N router
(btw, if you bought the airport extreme from apple, you have the enabler on a disk that came with it, they included it in the price.)

[.edit] Woah, auto censoring!

Thats correct, it does have something to do with accounting laws in the US. From what I understand, if they gave the enabler away free after advertising and selling the original product as "G" then they would be in violation of the law. Apple is not chargin a lousy $2.00 to make money off this but rather to not violate law. If you think chargin $2.00 is making them tons of money then your sadly mistaken. It probably costs them more to handle the transaction then the lousy $2.00 in the first place.

Someone else here mentioned "Something For Nothing" well sadly this seems to be the new generation's motto from what I can tell. Not to be mean or group all younger people in one category or anything, but my gosh I will never understand the automatic sense of entitlement so many of the younger generation possess nowadays. Sure all younger people have wants as did I when I was younger, but while we all would have loved to receive free things and such. None of us ever expectect we were entitled to it with no work or effort on our part. We shoveled snow, cut lawns, fixed cars, anything to make some bucks where we could and then purchased the things we wanted. Today so much is just given to kids that I suppose they feel it is just their right to get it for simply exisiting.

Enough rant on this but to the person looking for the free ride, just either pay the lousy $2.00 or give up on the idea that all those people who already paid their hard earned money for it should support your desires with their efforts because you exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.