802.11n upgrade - Core Duo MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smartalic34, Nov 27, 2009.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

my airport card is acting quite strange, and I'm pretty sure it's dying (will do Apple Hardware Test to confirm), but I've been reading that, apparently, one can use the Mac Pro Airport Extreme Upgrade Kit and have 802.11n in the core duo macbook pro.

I've read experiences on other sites, but was hoping my MR brethren could step in. has anyone upgraded their wireless to "n" with the mac pro upgrade kit? if so, how did it go? any issues after install? thanks...

2. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

well, no one responded, but for the sake of anyone who is doing this upgrade and uses the search function, I'll report that I successfully installed the Mac Pro Airport Extreme Wireless Upgrade on my MBP, and I have successfully enabled 802.11n :)

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would think the Mac Pro card requires a PCI port. I am not sure on that. Either way, I don't see it possible for a desktop class component going into a laptop class device.

4. Hydroxs macrumors regular

If it is a mini-pcie card it will fit but I don't know if you would need any special drivers for it.

5. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

in my update post, I meant it literally. it's installed and working just fine. I have "n" wireless on my core duo MBP:)

works well on XP w/ Boot Camp too!

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I did this with my CoreDuo Macbook (2006). It worked great, and was a relatively easy upgrade.

7. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8

Do the new MBP come with the Airport Extreme 802.11n ???

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes. Read the specs.

This is about "Core Duo."

All MBP in recent years are "Core 2 Duo."

9. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Sorry, I missed your first post. I did this with my first gen Macbook. It worked great for awhile. Then it would fail. It would drop all the time and I had to restart airport to fix it. I when back to my 802.11g card and the airport worked fine (without N of course). I ended up giving it to a friend and they used it. Still do with no problems.

Thank you,