Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a brief note, DigiTimes points to a report [Google translation] from Taiwan's China Times claiming that Apple is preparing to launch a 22-inch touchscreen iMac in the second half of this year. Longtime manufacturing partner Quanta is among the companies expected to receive orders to build the new iMac.

The report notes that the popularity of "all-in-one" computers like the iMac is surging, with unit sales set to double in 2010 as other competitors such as Dell ramp up their offerings. In order to meet the challenge from these competitors, Apple will reportedly look to the touchscreen offering as continued means of differentiating itself.

Today's report also claims that Apple's highly-anticipated tablet will launch later this month, and will include a 9.7-inch screen.

Article Link: Apple Planning 22-Inch Touchscreen iMac for Later This Year?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Apple's answer to the Wii Fit!

You would get quite a workout having to do everything on a 22" touchscreen.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Isn't smudging an issue?

Aren't finger marks (smudges from the oils in your skin) an issue on touch devices? I can't stand having even a speck of dust on my 24" beauty. :D

Rich :cool:

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
A touchscreen iMac would be nice as long as the monitor was made to not show fingerprints. As well, the stand the iMac is on really needs to be solid so there isn't a risk of pushing your iMac over while using the touchscreen.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Aren't finger marks (smudges from the oils in your skin) an issue on touch devices? I can't stand having even a speck of dust on my 24" beauty. :D

Rich :cool:

Don't forget that Apple has the oleophobic layer on the iPhone for this issue. One would assume that such a coating would be used here.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Gorilla-arm anyone?

This doesn't sound like a good idea. I can see someone using a touchscreeen while standing, but sitting at a desk, arms either resting (ow, my elbows!) on the desk or extended with no support . . . :(

Now, if the screen is shifted about 140 degrees and slightly below the user somehow, then maybe.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
hmm

if it stands on a desk the same way my imac does then using it as a touch screen is way to cumbersome imo.. If it somehow rests on a lap or horizontal on a desk then maybe it could be useful.

lightpeak

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
BC, Canada
Come up w/ your own ideas, Apple, and stop stealing others. lol ;):p

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/touchsmart/

Just keeping the "Praise Apple" fanboys here humble. I wonder how they'd feel if HP sued Apple over this? Oh, wait... I know! :D

Now getting serious: Won't work. People are use to having their iMacs a good foot away from them at the far back end of the desk. Imagine how tired your arms would get having to stretch. Imagine how tired your eyes would get to have your iMac a few inches away from your face... besides awkward looking.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Touchscreen Imac's On The Way?

Whoa, I didn't see this one coming from right field but engadget.com has a post about this. There's also a possibility it'll get annouced next week.

The iMacs are rumored to have a capacitive screen much like the iPhones (cue, a new yellow screen threads...hehehe)

I was attracted to the HP Touchsmart during the holidays, but this really puts a different perspective on things. I think I'll hold a little further on the purchase of my i5. :)

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
I'm thinking about virtual gestures, not on the screen. Gestures, waves, swipes could be in the air, sensed by the camera. Pinch/zoom, tap to select, etc could be on the screen.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
Perhaps its a tablet device that can be inserted into a display enclosure so that it can also be used as a 'normal' computer. Saw some mock ups of this somewhere.

Cannot really see the benefit of having an iMac with a touchscreen.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Should have been done 18 months back.

They had the programming, the tech existed, just needed to do it.

People who think a touch screen computer looks like/sits like a normal computer - you are stupid. Join the world where things are designed to be used by people, not merely imitate existing designs. The base has to be designed to bring it closer and tilt down to touch friendly angles. Sheesh. It's pretty obvious that eliminating mouse and keyboard for less serious computer users is going to be the future.

And don't panic, people: there will always be adjunct keyboards for speed entry of data. No one is raping away your precious little keys, just making them unnecessary for computer use.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
They could have it confused with a 22" Cinema Display.... Maybe?

For those who are looking at the "LITERAL" functionality of touch, I say THINK DIFFERENT . It's Apple we're talking about here, what have they done so far to disappoint with touch? .. None to my knowledge.

iDisk

:apple:

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
A touchscreen iMac would be nice as long as the monitor was made to not show fingerprints.

Screen-Cleaning-Technology.jpg

You saw it here first.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
would be nice if actually true, especially if the screen's touch features were like iphone's

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Digitimes Brainstorming Meeting

Editor: "Our traffic is down, what can we do to boost traffic?"
Writer: "How about a baseless Apple rumor?"
Editor: "Sounds great, be sure to include high traffic keywords like Touch"
Lawyer: "We can't just make up stuff, we'll get sued."
Writer: "We'll base our story on a bad translation of a foreign language site?"
Editor: "Yea, use that same one we used last time, Communist Times."
Writer: "China Commercial Times?"
Editor: "Yea, whatever"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.