Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
We're running on a new database server. There may be some residual issues. If so, please let me know here.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
thanks. spy should be working now.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
no, the disk space issue wasn't directly responsible. we just outgrew the previous server and may be adding another one soon. We'll see how this changeup goes.

arn

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Say you move to vB v.4, would you use the CMS built into it for the Front Page vs keeping the the other front end like Wordpress (or whatever you use)?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
ya, that's on the list too. soon, I hope.

arn

Just my advice, hold off on vB 4 for awhile. I've helped migrate a site to it and there are still a lot of bugs, even in 4.0.2. IMO it should still be in beta status, it definitely feels like it was rushed. I would wait until 4.1, or at least wait for a couple more minor point releases for them to get the kinks worked out.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i have noticed that the forum has been slow or down a few times this month with the most recent downtime about an hour ago, most probably due to configuring the new database.

seems to be ok now. good luck and thanks for the upgrades!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Say you move to vB v.4, would you use the CMS built into it for the Front Page vs keeping the the other front end like Wordpress (or whatever you use)?

Just my advice, hold off on vB 4 for awhile. I've helped migrate a site to it and there are still a lot of bugs, even in 4.0.2. IMO it should still be in beta status, it definitely feels like it was rushed. I would wait until 4.1, or at least wait for a couple more minor point releases for them to get the kinks worked out.

We're not going to 4.0, and even if we did, we wouldn't use their CMS.

The biggest hurdle in upgrading is supporting search on these forums. vBulletin's search doesn't scale well for large forums, so we're dependent on some hacks which can be version dependent.

arn

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
We're not going to 4.0, and even if we did, we wouldn't use their CMS.

The biggest hurdle in upgrading is supporting search on these forums. vBulletin's search doesn't scale well for large forums, so we're dependent on some hacks which can be version dependent.

arn
So then, would it be possible to switch the entire search function over to MRoogle instead of relying vB's junky search?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So then, would it be possible to switch the entire search function over to MRoogle instead of relying vB's junky search?

i don't see how google search is better, and is already an option under the search menu.

arn

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Ok, well, I'll just keep on using MRoogle. :)
Also, something I just noticed, the favicon is gone. Just on the forums. I assume this is from the update.;)
2z5E

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 1.17.13 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 1.17.13 AM.png
    28 KB · Views: 443

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When clicking a link to "Find all threads started by" on any user profile page, I get this:
Picture 6.JPG
It doesn't happen when clicking "Find all posts by".

Isolated glitch? Or something you should attend to?

just curious, but how big is the database?
I would think that is proprietary information.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
i don't see how google search is better, and is already an option under the search menu.

Not Google search. MRoogle which is google tweaked with several MR-custom options. And yes, it is far, far, far better than the VB search. I don't think you yourself use the VB search much, or you would realise how dire it is.

Another bonus - using MRoogle will take some load off your servers.

No need to take my word for it. Ask around the mods and subscribers, maybe poll them?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Not Google search. MRoogle which is google tweaked with several MR-custom options. And yes, it is far, far, far better than the VB search. I don't think you yourself use the VB search much, or you would realise how dire it is.

The Google search on MR does essentially the same thing as what MRoogle does, it adds the argument "site:forums.macrumors.com" to the search. MRoogle just offers those little links above the search box that help refine the search to one area of the site. That's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.