8800gts 512 beta testing over

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacVidCards, Dec 12, 2008.

1. MacVidCards Suspended

ok, time to move my little project ahead

I have written a ROM for 8800GTS 512 boards.

This is specifically for the G92 based 8800GTS 512 Meg cards. I can guarantee that it will NOT WORK on the 8800GTS cards that are G80 based. It will only work with the ones with Device id of 605.

Also, it is currently written for EFI32 machines....ie the 2006/2007 machines. I can 100% guarantee that it will be quite useless to you Octo Core folk. It may very well be possible to adapt it for the EFI64 machines, but I don't have one to test on.

So if you have a 8800GTS 512 and a 2006/2007 EFI32 MacPro, PM me for further details. (You will need to have a 128K ROM chip on your board...if you are iffy about this or don't understand, this is NOT for you)

2. Amethyst macrumors 6502

Oh very impressive if you can written EFI to using 8800 GTS on MP

I think you can written to using 9800GTX+ on MP too!!

please consider!

3. rhildinger macrumors member

Sounds very cool indeed!

I am curious why you say it won't work on an EFI64 machine. From what I understand, an EFI64 machine can load and run both 32bit and 64bit option roms. Is that not actually the case?

Also, I'd be very much interested in the steps you took to produce the EFI rom, since I'm trying to do the same type of thing for a GTX 260. Is there a possibility we could discuss this outside of this thread, possibly via PM?

-Robert

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

When they were released someone flashed it with the 8800GT ROM, the extra pipelines stayed open and the clock speed was edited to the GTS speed.

Good job, assuming it works. :eek:

5. grue macrumors 65816

Hey, some of us EFI32 people are running Octocores ;)

6. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

Good luck with the GTX 260/280 !!!!

I would like to post the following to help you and any others trying this:

1. You should probably be using Snow Leopard, or try using the NVDAN50 kext from it, as it contains a PCIMatch for these cards. Since 10.5.5 does NOT, you aren't going to accomplish without.

2. I have had LIMITED success with 9800GTX and 9800GTX+. They too are based on G92 but use a different board. I have concluded that card needs EFI setup for initial bot screen, but grabs RUNNING speeds, RAM Timings, etc from PC portion of BIOS. Or maybe just switches to it if EFI doesn't work well. The 8800GTS ran better once I moved the 8 timing strings over from PC BIOS. (timing is different from clock speeds) But since EFI doesn't work to start 9800GTX well (blocky artifacts, etc) I have had slow progress.

3. Linking a DIFFERENT PC Bios in the the EFI hasn't worked. It starts fine in Windows but is not even trying the boot screens and OSX stuff. But I feel this is possible...I jus have no working understanding of the EFI part.

4. Device id is set both by an easily seen spot in ROM, ie "de100506" and is also coded into softstraps string at open. You must change both to change the device id. This is why all previous attempts at 8800GTS have had the card show up in both OS as a 8800GT. You can maintain the original STRAPS when you flash by adding "-G" into the command string.

If anyone wants to try the 8800GTS ROM, they need to PM me.

7. varnikov macrumors newbie

I have listed hardware. Ready for experiment :) Send me a .rom file to a.varnikov@gmail.com and I'll try.

Edit: I found EFI32 rom here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=471227&page=3

8. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

Hey, I'm out of town for Holidays...I will be back home to the Mac Pro where the ROMs are when I get back on the 29th.

If you have a G92 8800GTS with 512 Megs it should run the EFI32 ROM fairly well as a 8800GT in both OSX and Windows.

My ROM will just alow it to run as a 8800GTS in both systems.

You'll get the ROM as soon as I am back home. Meahwhile, try some games, benchmarks, etc in both OS's so that you can have a basis of comparison.

9. sweets macrumors newbie

sorry to bump this ancient thread (can't PM yet), but I'm a Mac Pro 1,1 user with a new (old) 8800 GTS that I'd rather not cripple with 8800 GT firmware. Did Rominator's ROM end up working? Is it still available?

10. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

Is it a 8800GTS 512?

What is the part number?

11. sweets macrumors newbie

Yes, it's the EVGA G92, 512-P3-N841-AR - thanks for the reply!

12. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

next we need to figure out which ROM chip is on your card.

Get thee into DOS (where you have hopefully got a recent install of NVFLASH) and type "NVFLASH -C" and tell us what chip model it reports.

13. sweets macrumors newbie

MX MX25L1005 2.7-3.6V 1024Kx1S, page

14. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

OK....and BTW...it is not my intention that someone start selling these things. This ROM is for private use only. If those circus clowns at Applemacanix start selling these I will be very unhappy.

Please let us know.

Very important that you use "-g" switch...ie "nvflash 88gtsztf.rom -4 -5 -6 -g" as it will copy the softstraps from your current card.

BTW, you can rename anything you wish. The name helps me keep track of changes and history of each revision.

VERY IMPORTANT--------MAKE SURE YOUR CARD HAS DEVICE ID OF 600 BEFORE YOU DO THIS !!!!

AND BY ALL MEANS BACK UP YOUR CURRENT ROM BEFORE YOU DO THIS.

15. sweets macrumors newbie

Awesome, thank you! So this ROM changes clocks etc back to GTS speeds?

Where do I verify device ID? NEVER MIND

So, it's working!

I did this:

1. Went back to the factory GTS ROM, rebooted into FreeDOS
    2. Tried to flash with -4 -5 -6 G, but nvflash seemed confused by the presence of two nvidia cards (7300 in slot 2)
    3. did -i 1 -4 -5 -6 G, and successfully flashed, rebooted into OS X

I'm now getting 10% higher frames in the OpenGL viewer tests. (2560x1600, 2xAA)

One thing I've noticed while working on this is that the card is reporting a maximum PCIe throughput of 8x in OS X (I couldn't check before flashing, but this has been true with the GT ROM and your new ROM). I'm going to see what happens with the same card in another Mac Pro - any ideas for troubleshooting beyond that?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

16. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

I always advocate removal of other cards while flashing . Cuts down enormously on issues and errors.

Once you choose "FREEDOS" CD as boot drive you can shut down and remove all cards other than one to be flashed. Move the DVI connector over to the card to be flashed...it won't show initial Grey boot screen but will show The FreeDOS boot screens.

Try opening the expansion slot utility and change to a 16x lane where the 8800GTS is.

Can you post the following screenshots to verify that the new device id "took" and the card is properly id'd. (Can also grab a Rivatuner screen that shows pipes, etc. I'll grab one and add here)

Glad it worked and thanks !!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      185.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      152.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      225.3 KB
      Views:
  17. sweets macrumors newbie

I've attached the screenshots from OS X - I don't have a Windows install on this machine. This is a Macpro 1,1 with Dual 2.66 Xeons, 4GB ram.

Regarding the PCIe issue, It doesn't seem to matter which configuration I choose in the Expansion Slot Utility. The GTS always runs at 8x, and OS X always gives it a status of "Running at Maximum Speed".

Collected some more information on this:

As I mentioned before, this same card flashed with the EFI32 GT ROM, runs at 8x in this Mac Pro.
    This same GTS, flashed with the EFI64 GT ROM, runs also at 8x in a Mac Pro 3,1
    Looks like there's something up with the card?

Attached Files:

18. blackdrako macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i have a macpro1,1 at work and i´d like to try the rom with my Galaxy 8800 GTS ... would you mind sharing the rom with me please?

thx :)

19. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I don't think that matters. The 8800GTS with the G80 wasn't offered in 512MB, I think only 640MB. 8800GTS with 512MB are all G92 variants.

But correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a year or so since I've owned any 8800.

20. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

Yes, that is what I am stating there.

Any 8800GTS 512 is G92. Any of he "oddball" RAM sizes and bus widths were G80.

21. blackdrako macrumors newbie

My Galaxy is a G92 based and the EEPROM ID is MX MX25L1005 2.7-3.6V 1024Kx1S, page ... (i cant pm users yet)

22. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

How are things in East Grand Forks?

Didn't you go by "SR71BlackbirdRocks" on another board?

The Mac 8800GT ROMs are good choices for these cards. Runs at a nice safe and quiet speed of 600/900.

23. blackdrako macrumors newbie

what??

sorry mate but i´m not that guy who you´re talking about, i´m spanish (from spain)...thanks anyway, but i´ve modified a GT rom (clocks, volts and dev. ids) and flashed my GTS with success and works fine in leo/SnowLeo. cya

(spanish)
    Perdona amigo pero creo que me confundes con otra persona, siento que pienses así, de cualquier forma gracias , ya he podido modificar una rom de una 8800GT con los clocks y voltajes de mi GTS. hasta otra.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]