Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
didn't firefox just add retina support? Try that out. Firefox actually is more ram efficient than chrome/webkit.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
8GB is enough for normal use today. my rmbp eats a lot of ram, not like yours but i prefer not to check it anymore because the performance is great and i can't complain about this computer.

i let the mac do the job of memory management as it suppose to.

alexiszorba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Why do you choose to have a ton of tabs open at one time? YOU are the issue, not the amount of ram.

Of course I am the issue.
But this applies with any issue in life.
I might as well throw myself through the window and all issues will be solved.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
No need to reboot your MBP, just download free Memory Clean app you can find at App Store for free. :apple:
Actually, the "free memory app" is just a "purge" command in terminal. You can make a bash script that does that for you just with clicking it.
However that only purges inactive memory, meaning everything that is wired/active (clogging the memory) is still left sitting there.

well, no. When I bought the retina with 256gb my internal space halved. I had to rethink what I need and don't need on the internal drive. 50GB iPhoto library is one of the things I don't. It was a nice refresh for me because I restructured my workflow and I actually work better now, with less crud clogging my drive.

Your computing needs are a tad sloppy, with a fast SSD drive keeping applications open or closing/opening them isn't an issue. If you set safari/firefox to "reopen all tabs"... I can hardly see the difference between switching apps and opening them. Just rethink how you use it. Bookmarks, reading lists, even exporting as PDF if its something you need to have open at all times, page snippets in dashboard, FLASH BLOCKER...

I can hardly see why you need two open browsers and 20 tabs in each. Perhaps because I started surfing on 56k I have a different workflow for surfing.

I am aware some crazy person will jump on me "you don't have to adapt to such an expensive machine blah blah blah" but the fact is you have no choice- either adapt, or get another computer.

You just need to optimise your workflow. Maxing RAM with each reiteration isn't going to help, the software is getting greedier and sloppier with each damn build... You're just going to use up everything on the next one as well.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Sorry but you come on a forum and bitch about something that you can easily avoid by simply not having as many tabs open...... kinda like complaining of having gonorrhea but not taking Rocephin/zithromax to treat it. You have the ability to solve your issue but you choose not to do so, yet take the time to come on a forum and whine about it. Doesn't make much sense to me but what ever floats your boat.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Sorry but you come on a forum and bitch about something that you can easily avoid by simply not having as many tabs open...... kinda like complaining of having gonorrhea but not taking Rocephin/zithromax to treat it. You have the ability to solve your issue but you choose not to do so, yet take the time to come on a forum and whine about it. Doesn't make much sense to me but what ever floats your boat.

My 2009 MBP had no problem with multiple dozens of open tabs - and that with 4GB RAM. I regularly have over 40 open tabs on my rMBP. The machine can certainly take it. The issue is most certainly a memory leak in the alpha WebKit build.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I have 16 and for me even with PS extended running several different projects I never go above 6gb

----------

Are you on a ground floor? Cause if you are your just going to have more issues,

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I've never owned a Mac (though that'll change next Tuesday when my 15" rMBP arrives), and haven't spent much time with OSX.

So I'm curious, current versions of windows (7 & 8) tend to use as much RAM as they can, and give it up for applications as needed. This isn't really a bad thing, but does make it look like you're always low on memory. Does OSX do the same thing, and if so might this be why people notice that they're low on RAM sometimes?

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
base model is worth around $1700. 8GB is a lot, I use an absurd amount of ram with 30 megapixel photos with 200 layers in photoshop and sometimes 150 tabs open and usually hover around 6gb. I got the 16GB just in case to never experience a slow down after checking my usage habbits. You might just want to try not having such an extreme number of programs and files open.

i could even feel a difference on cMBP from 8GB to 16GB ! with retina i would also highly recommend 16GB.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
i could even feel a difference on cMBP from 8GB to 16GB ! with retina i would also highly recommend 16GB.

What you felt was a placebo effect then.

My Late 2006 MBP still does ok and it has 2GB of RAM. I have 16GB on my desktop and I rarely go over 6GB unless I load up a VM.

8GB is fine for most people, I swear some of the things I see on this board when it comes to processor updates and ram are so asinine.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So I'm curious, current versions of windows (7 & 8) tend to use as much RAM as they can, and give it up for applications as needed. This isn't really a bad thing, but does make it look like you're always low on memory. Does OSX do the same thing, and if so might this be why people notice that they're low on RAM sometimes?

Yep, OS X always used to behave like this. I do agree however, that Mountain Lion seems to be a bit more RAM-hungry than previous OS X versions.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Holy crap OP, you need to reboot your machine more often. You realize that modern browsers (and OS X in general) will open everything back up exactly as it was, right? That is horrifying memory usage. I have 16GB because I like to give my Win8 VM it's own dedicated 8GB to work with, but I don't need 16GB. The only people who do are multimedia professionals.

I use my machine very similarly to you; I always keep all my apps open at all times and I regularly have 10+ tabs open in Chrome. You need to dump the Webkit nightly builds, that is just nasty memory usage. And WTF is up with Finder using like 450+ MB? Hot damn dude! It's not the computer that's the problem. ;)

Here's my current usage, with like 11 tabs open in Chrome (including Facebook, TheVerge and Polygon).

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    275 KB · Views: 150

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
seriously, ditch the nightly webkit build, problem solved.
and maybe think about not leaving everything open all the time. programs launch -really- quickly. quit 'em when you're done with them.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

Weird... I can go from my rMBP with 16GB to my 2012 MBA with 4GB, run the exact same apps (except for VMs) and couldn't tell the difference aside from the ****** display.

Apps Open:
Xcode
BBEdit
Mail
Firefox
Safari
Evernote
iMessages
Terminal
Pages
Numbers
Napkin
Coda 2
Navicat
Pixelmator
Dropbox
Omniplan

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

My Late 2006 MBP still does ok and it has 2GB of RAM. I have 16GB on my desktop and I rarely go over 6GB unless I load up a VM.

8GB is fine for most people, I swear some of the things I see on this board when it comes to processor updates and ram are so asinine.

Yes sir, It's best to take this forum in doses.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I bought my rBMP 15" base config in June 2012.

This machine is awesome, I love it.

I didn't buy the 16go because there was very long waiting time for online orders. I should have waited...

I am all the time at almost full or full RAM usage. And I don't do virtual machine. I like to keep many programs and tabs open at the same time.

This machine is using more RAM due to its display, or so it seems. I had more than enough with 8go on my previous machine.

Now I am forced to sell my machine and buy a new upgraded one because I find it frustrating to work without available RAM. I am forced to take a big hit on the transaction to the benefit of Apple and the second-hand buyer.

If you plan on buying this machine and you like to keep multiple programs and tabs open at the same time, don't even hesitate. It's the 16Go only. In my opinion the 8Go should not even be offered on such an expensive machine. It could be ok for some users for today but even then it is not future-proof. It is not even enough for my humble needs of today.

Any advice on resale value of my rMBP 15" base config no apple care ?

If you want a rMBP on second-hand that has no lag or retention issue and that just functions flawlessly and if you think you can survive long enough on 8Go, send me a message, I didn't put it on ebay yet.

Cheers,

I was really debating wether I should go with base config. Thank you for sharing, going with 16GB now

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011

in fact, i am running multiple windows VMs for testing as well as Mint Linux, and i definately can feel the additional RAM very well. it is not very nice of you putting me into the "placebo" corner while not knowing anything about me nor the software i am running.

as you are writing, VMs really do take the RAM. experience also shows, RAM is always good. if you don't need it today, you might need it next year, and 16GB of ram are currently approx 100 EUR. sounds like a nobrainer to me.

----------

Weird... I can go from my rMBP with 16GB to my 2012 MBA with 4GB, run the exact same apps (except for VMs) and couldn't tell the difference aside from the ****** display.

Apps Open:
Xcode
BBEdit
Mail
Firefox
Safari
Evernote
iMessages
Terminal
Pages
Numbers
Napkin
Coda 2
Navicat
Pixelmator
Dropbox
Omniplan

to the point. - except VMs.

Last edited:

alexiszorba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
OTH, buying a 16GB rMBP is like buying a Ferrari for hauling groceries...

I would gladly use a ferrari to go to the groceries.

Note that some people have some beautiful, empty, sinuous roads between their grocery shop and their house. Others have metropolitan, square and car-packed roads.
What makes sense for one and for one job does not make sense for another and that same job.

I will go for the new 15" rMBP 2.7/16/512. I don't say I absolutely need it, I say I will enjoy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.