8gb of OWC or Samsung RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by themac23, Mar 30, 2011.

1. themac23 macrumors regular

Which one and why? Is there really a difference?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

3. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

no man,not whatevers cheaper,i got the samsung from owc ,yes i paid 10-20$ more,but its the oem ram,worth it if u ask me,its an expensive computer right?s whats the price diff,minimal,the samsung 2x4 gig i got from owc[who were quick to deliver and excellent to deal with] is running great on my new 2011 i7 15,no probs at all,get the oem ,less likely failure rate,better quality for sure.:)

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

exactly, i got kingston at $65 piece

5. sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

How about Kingston ? Planning to buy the Kingston 2x4 gig to upgrade my new MBP ~

6. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

kingston are good quality,but the kingston"value ram" is not as as hi quality,folks think yeh,buy the cheapest,but thats not always smart,especially for a very expensive laptop,more likely failure rate,wont last as long,less reliable,less quality control,you dont pay 1-2k for a laptop then put the cheapest u can find in it,
    and they wonder why they have to return,or it claps out,as it sometimes does when you skimp 20$ -30$ or so,and get the low end stuff.
    if u r going to put the cheapest ram in.then why buy an expensive machine in the first place,?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Because they are all essentially the same. There is no guarantee that "premium" RAM would last any longer. In fact, Apple uses the same cheap stuff you can find from most resellers. As long as you get lifetime warranty, go for the cheapest. NewEgg has some pretty good deals on G.Skill RAM and a lot 2011 MBP owners have went for that.

8. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

ok some may think that,but i dont think it is all the same actually,ram is flash memory right,nand ? now its similar to what goes into ssd,s.but the higher quality flash is taken from the centre of the die when its made,the cheaper stuff is taken from the edges,thats what ive read and heard,and like cheaper and more expensive ssd,you pay for what you get,im not saying i know 100% for sure,but from wat i understand,and ask yourself this,why doesnt apple use cheap ram?they use hynix and samsung[higher quality],and thats for a reason,because its better quality,i have spoken on this very subject with some i.t. experts,who told me this info,and for the sake of a lousy 20-30$ ,i know what i put in my $2000+ laptop,

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Samsung RAM is no guarantee of anything. I've read threads with people that got bad sticks of Samsung from OWC. This isn't a black mark against Samsung or OWC, but just a testament that RAM is indeed the same across the board. The majority of it is perfect, and any of it can be bad.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Exactly. Higher price is not a guarantee of anything either. Most likely it is the same stuff with fatter profits. Most brands don't make their NANDs anyway (use Samsung and Hynix for instance which are the biggest manufacturers).

11. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

im not saying samsung cant fail or be bad,but that its less likely,no offence but it is not all the same,because nand flash is not all the same,just google it and have a read about how its made,and what is used and why,[and see why some ssd,s are cheaper and some are more expensive]u will se what i mean,i guarantee if u do,u will see wat im saying.do you think when kingston goes to make there ram sticks,and there buying it in sheets from manufacturer,the just go,oh,its all the same,wel just grab that bit,itl be ok? no way,they have a reputation,and thats why kingston "value" ram is cheaper,because the stuff its made from,is not as high quality,simple as that,otherwise why would they even offer"value" ram???:)

12. sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

Can you tell me exactly what is the Kingston "value ram" ?

I am planning to buy the Kingston KTA-MB13333/4G . it is about $50 per 1 x 2GB... so is it cheap ? Or can you suggest some "high quality" ram to me ... I have no idea// I only know Apple RAM is more expansive than other....So is it Apple is valuable ????? Kindly waiting your advice.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It is RAM meant for consumer computers, such as MBP.

1x2GB or 1x4GB? 1x2GB for 50$ is a ripoff, that should get you 2x2GB.

Apple RAM is the same stuff you can from resellers. It is not higher quality.
    Here is good and affordable RAM.

If you say so, then you must have some proofs to back up your statement that Samsung is more reliable than the others. Otherwise you just made it up.

14. sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

I mean it is 50$ for 1x4GB... sorry ~

15. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Kingston's value ram is just a brand of no frills RAM targeted at consumers like Hellhammer pointed out.

It does not mean it is lower quality, Kingston divides their product categories by performance and the next step up from value ram is hyperX. There has never been anything to suggest that Samsung is more reliable than other manufacturers.

16. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

ok,i might be wrong,i certainly dont say i know 100%,im not in the industry ,but,why then is value ram cheaper?if its all the same,just doesnt make sense to me,i find it very hard to believe its all the same,now the difference may be very small,i dont know,but there is a difference in price ,which tells us something,and i have read about how flash is created,and how its graded,and thats why some costs more and some costs less,i think its called mean time failure and to do with density and consistency of particles etc,,i have read about how its quality controlled,and the higher quality is sourced from inside the die,something like that,so to me it makes sense,that if its cheaper,and labelled value,its not the same quality,but hey,if folks want to think that by paying less for it they are getting the same stuff,who am i to argue,?

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Kinston's other option is HyperX which is designed for gaming and other intensive tasks. HyperX lineup does not offer RAM for laptops or regular desktops since it offers higher speeds (up to 2333MHz IIRC) which are not compatible with every system.

Like I said, ValueRAM is just the name of Kingston's consumer grade RAM lineup.

18. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

kingston value ram is labelled as such,its easy to mistake it for there superior but go check the kingston website,the value ram is cheaper,thats obviously for a reason,i think its got "v" in the title if i remember,but some websites dont exactly tell you its value ram,hoping you wont realise,its always cheaper,maybe {vr}etc in prefix to title of it,

my advice to you is spend little bit more and get the best you can[research],dont settle for the generic stuff,sure it will work,but its you baby,dont feed it cheaper goods,its like anything usually,you wouldnt put crappy generic no name brand oil in your mercedes would you?sure it would work,but its not doing it justice in the long run,

apple uses hynix and samsung ,thats what id go with,but kingston has very good reputation,too.i mean really,$2000+ for a laptop,skimp 20$ on ram,no way.ps make sure cl[cas latency]timing,is exactly the same,its usually labelled like this ==2gb 1rx8 pc3-10600-9-10-b1[this is from my 2011 uni 15 hynix brand oem apple ram-1333mhz].check your original ram to see ,it will be printed on it.do what you feel is right for you,but i always pay bit more if i have to and get the good stuff,i find in the long run,its better off.

19. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

ok,if you say so,but the value ram is cheaper,check the kingston website,i have,its the same specs but cheaper.

20. marc11 macrumors 68000

I put Kingston RAM in my MBP a few weeks ago. Buy.com had it for $89 with a $20 rebate, it specifically said it worked with our MBP, so I knew the CAS was the same as stock at least. Works fine, as good as OEM only better due to the obvious increase in memory (which imovie loves to use up)

It is funny, $89 - $100 is about the going rate for most brands of RAM for my laptop, but tell someone you paid $69 and they say it is cheap crap, tell someone you paid $100 for the SAME PRODUCT and they say it must be good. Price is not an indication of quality. I think it was nandtech that recently did an article on the marketing spin of RAM names and speeds, a lot of it is fluff.

Kingston has a fine reputation, it isn't like they are a fly by night company, they are a leader in memory products and have been for a long time.

Hell, they offer a lifetime warranty like anyone else, so IF it does go bad, you get it replaced no big deal honestly, especially if you keep you old RAM laying around...and when was the last time someone had any RAM go bad?

Sure, you may get DOA RAM out of the box, but if it works once you install it, most times it works for as long as you own the laptop.

21. sugarboylovemac, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

Yes. I am just checked their website, they have the brand named "ValueRam".
    Well, it is interesting and I never notice... :eek:

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

Most ram is manufactured by samsung, whatever the brand.

23. osxabsd macrumors member

And it's always a good idea to test the ram after replacing it. (memtest/rember)

24. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I've had it with buying anything from OWC. The last time I bought memory from them one of the sticks was visibly bent and so would not fit in the slot. When I talked to them about a replacement they all but called me a liar and made it difficult to get a new one. A friend of mine had a similar experience with defective ram except they would only refund him the current market rate for the stick instead of what he had paid for it a week before. Both of us have installed ram in hundreds of Macs and PC's in our desktop support days so its not like we don't know what we are talking about. These days I buy from Crucial instead.

25. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

Ok, so go pay $50 more than you should for laptop RAM...

To answer the OP, whatever is cheaper