Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I bought my 8GB kit from data memory systems which had Samsung branded modules that looked almost identical to the modules I pulled from my MBP. Same ID sticker etc.

I decided to go this route as should my machine ever fail and need to be replaced by apple (happened before) I know the replacement Mac will have equal or better value.

I had an iBook G4 which was max factory specced aside from the ram which I installed a 1GB module bringing it to 1.5GB. Long story short, Apple replaced my iBook with a brand new CTO MacBook (1,3 Santa Rosa @ 2.2Ghz) which Apple kindly supplied me with 4GB of ram.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
I've had good luck with OWC RAM in all my MacBooks I've owned over the years. Never had an issue.

themac23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
I bought my 8GB kit from data memory systems which had Samsung branded modules that looked almost identical to the modules I pulled from my MBP. Same ID sticker etc.

I decided to go this route as should my machine ever fail and need to be replaced by apple (happened before) I know the replacement Mac will have equal or better value.

I had an iBook G4 which was max factory specced aside from the ram which I installed a 1GB module bringing it to 1.5GB. Long story short, Apple replaced my iBook with a brand new CTO MacBook (1,3 Santa Rosa @ 2.2Ghz) which Apple kindly supplied me with 4GB of ram.

Wow! Thanks for the info. The Smasung 8gb kit is almost $40 cheaper at datasystemsmemory.com than at OWC. I am definitely going for the Samsung at that price. Hell, I should be able to get $30 back from the stock 4gb on ebay anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.