8GB or 16GB Touch - Which One?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MacVault, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Will I regret having less memory just to save $100? Do you find you need more than 8GB?

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

16GB -- holds all your iTunes and a few videos.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And 32GB holds even more.

Tough call. It all depends on what you want to use your Touch for.

4. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Really?! What mirracle has Apple done to make a 16GB iPod hold my 30+GB iTunes Library? ;) :D

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

The miracle of deleting all the junk music you probably have in your library.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Don't think so.

Of course it does depend on your encoding level. I think exceeding 20GB for a library is not all that hard. Plus now with audio books, and Podcasts, it is even easier to have a huge library.

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Maybe so. I guess I am just a straight up music guys who keeps all his rockin' jams 128KB AAC encoded.... Good enough quality for those Britney Spears joints.

8. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I think you'd be sorry if you bought the 8gb. That's really quite minimal, even for a minimalist.

9. Zianac macrumors member

I'm happy with my 8gig. That's alot of songs to filter through... then again... I like using my ipod touch for all it's other features. If I really want to listen to something that isn't on it. I can always use my 80gig classic...

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I'm very happy with my 8GB. I mainly use it as a PDA but I also have hundreds of songs on it and plenty of room for videos when I travel.

I had an old 2nd Gen iPod 20G that I never even came close to filling up in 4-5 years, so I just didn't see the point in spending more just to have more empty space "just in case."

11. Delia macrumors member

Thats what i'm thinking-- I still have the 5th gen Ipod and it's not full. I have a bunch of music, but not enough to fill the ipod video.

I just want the touch for net/pda stuff.

12. fandsw macrumors regular

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

It all depends on your library size. Mine is about 35GB, so I upgraded to the 32GB touch. But if you library is smaller, which is true for many, the 8GB will be more than enough.

14. puke macrumors regular

Me myself just ordered the 32gb Touch today. You need to think alittle more ahead when youre buying an expensive piece of machinery like the Touch. Think your music library + atleast a few months of more songs + the new SDK software Apple is releasing on the 6th. More programs, more music, maybe even more videos/music videos.

I'm suggesting atleast the 16gb model even if you dont have +10gb music library so that you wont regret purchasing the smaller models when you got the extra music a few months from now. Consider the 32gb, I did, and I'm happy I chose it.

You will be happy with your purchase. Congratz!

15. JimO macrumors newbie

JimO

More is Better
    Good point Puke, more software will be coming soon.

16. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

For $100 more, your stupid not to get the 16 gig version.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

Then I guess you're stupid to get the 16GB version because for only $100 more you get 32GB...

Come on people, if one's library is less than 8GB they don't need more than 8GB. Simple.

18. zeroracer0702 macrumors newbie

zeroracer0702

16 gig. more space equals more music, movies, videos, etc. plus you have to consider the amount of space the sdk (possibly delayed) apps will take.

19. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So I should have bought the 16GB touch because one day I might have quadruple the amount of music I have now? Lord knows I have to have every song I've ever heard on my iPod at all times, right? I mean, there's certainly no way to only have some of the music from your computer sync to your iPod. Maybe Apple should get on this...

Or maybe I'm just stupid because I bought what I needed/wanted.

20. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i have an 8GB, because it was just to supplement the 30GB video. i have ALL my music on the video, the touch i just throw on my playlists, it's got like 4GB on it now. i only listen to playlists on the video 99% of the time anyhow, i only go into the rest when something spontaneous hits me, so it's no big deal having only playlists on the touch.

this is coming from a girl with a purse who is willing to carry three ipods along with a cell phone, bluetooth ear piece, digital camera, and GPS unit with me everywhere (in addition to the wallet, ten lip glosses, keys, etc) so you may want to consider getting a bigger touch if that's all you plan on carrying ;)

21. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Nobody has pointed this out, so I'll do it. Regardless of what size Touch you get, you are guaranteed to have enough content on it at any given point to last at least as long as the battery charge. At this point, you can sync it to your computer, and swap out content for other things in your library, such as video, music, podcast updates, etc.

If you travel for long periods of time, and don't have/take a laptop, or have your library stored on desktop, then I could see opting to spend the extra $100 or $200 to get the higher capacity models. But frankly, unless this is the case, you can easily save money and get the smaller capacity model.

I don't see a need to store your entire library on your portable device, but this is just my opinion, and clearly others feel differently about this. :) Good luck on whatever you decide.

22. sers macrumors regular

I've got a 16gb version and have all my stuff on it. Still have about 10gb of space left. It really depends how big your library is. I use mine mainly as a PDA, so I really don't need all that space. My library is pretty small so I cod have probably settled for an 8. But for just $100 more, the 16 made more sense to me.

Sent from my iPod.

23. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Last time I checked............the 32 wasn't out already when I bought my 16.

24. Delia macrumors member

Honestly, if I'm doing something (like traveling) and need that much stuff, I'll have my iPod Video with me.

I've flown across the US numerous times and have yet to exhaust my media library. Heck, I fall asleep on the plane long before I make it through one of my playlists.

25. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Theres a lot of good points here, and i am in the same situation as the OP. I have concluded this, 16gb touch is the way to go.

If you look at the prices, the 16gb seems like best band for your buck. I have 20+GB of music, and then a huge amount more of movies.

I figure that i can cut down to about 12 GB of good music i currently listen to, and toss on some movies or TV shows im into at the moment. changing up the content is a pain when its pick and choose, so we all want to minimize that. So i think unless you can easily afford the 32 the 16 is where its at because with the SDK who knows what will happen. I'm hoping i can use this as a PDA and have a gig or two of documents and apps on there.

I vote 16. Its the logical choice unless you can afford the 32, because naturally you would want everything all the time just incase your in one of those 'moods' where you need a song, or album and its not there.. thats a depressing time i find.

Bon Chance!