Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
As a pro line product, the 16GB is used for hose really RAM intensive applications such as Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, and FCPX. I can function at base with 8GB but end up choking the RAM while only running Aperture with Photoshop at the same time. For FCPX, I found I definitely needed more RAM. 16GB gives just enough RAM to really function effectively without huge rendering times.

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
I use mine for the same stuff you use it for and a little more (video editing, music creation, DJing) and I have the late 2011 15" that I upgraded to 16GB of RAM and at no point while using this have I found I needed more than 8GB. The least I have had free and not in use is 11GB, and this is with a lot of apps open (currently I have Word, Pages, Keynote, iTunes, Chrome, Safari, Outlook, and Messenger). You'll most likely not need more than 8GB for what you use it for, but it's all up to you and what you expect it do have to do in the future, etc. So on the other hand, you may want to try to "future proof" it as much as possible, but I'm expecting 8GB to last for awhile. So think hard, because it's a big choice. Best of luck to you sir. Enjoy your new RMBP!!! :D

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I have 8gb in my current C2D MBP and opted for the 8gb in my new retina. I never have gone above using 6gb at any given time (I check activity monitor fairly regularly) and with the ssd in the retina even if you need to use some swap space it will be ssd speed so it won't make a huge difference.

VacantPsalm

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Question, I also use VMs, but just for simple things and gaming. I never need to have more than one open at a time. I also plan to be in 1920x1200 mode most of the time.

I ordered a base model with 16 gigs, would I be better off with the 2.6ghz model with 8 gigs RAM? (The storage would be nice, but not needed since I have a home Linux server holding a lot of stuff.)

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
First, recognize that 2 types of people are giving you advice: 1, people who say 8 gigs is all you need, mostly based on their *current* usage. 2, people who say 16 gigs will "future proof" your MBP.

A retina MBP is *not upgradable*. This is important to you, even if you don't plan on upgrading the MBP yourself, because it will significantly affect its resale value in 3-4 years time. A big reason why the used market for MBPs is so robust is because people can buy them and upgrade them. However, if you have a machine that simply doesn't have enough RAM, nobody will want it.

Personally, I think the 16 GB RAM is a no brainer. This will only cost 7% of the machine, it will give you enough RAM for the next 3-4 years, and it will *substantially* increase its resale value when you want to buy a new machine.

There are also tangible benefits to having 16 gigs that have been described by other people. For example, you can run Parallels/Boot Camp more easily, it can handle more audio/video editing, you can run new games/apps in 3-4 years time.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
I initially ordered the standard 2.6/8/512 config. Today, however, I cancelled and re-ordered it with 16GB RAM. The following was my thought process. I've been using a 2007 MBP (santa rosa) with 4GB for 5 years. My machine now struggles with tasks like running vmware with windows 7 or basic HD video editing from my camera in part due to memory constraints. When the machine was new I maxed the RAM to 4GB which was certainly plenty then but requirements have increased and what we use our machines for changes and will continue to do so. If you plan to keep the machine for more than 2-3 years I think it's very hard to predict what even standard usage will require or at least run smoothly with. Since there is no option to upgrade down the road I would recommend maxing out the RAM if you can afford it. While I think it can be mentally hard to get yourself to add even more cost to an already pricey purchase, if you can afford to spend 2000+ on a computer you should be able to do an extra $200 without significantly affecting your finances.

zbooks

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
I have to agree with the poster above me. I too order 8gb base model right after the Apple store came up. Then I found out it was non-upgradable, cancelled my order and reordered with 16gb of RAM (now I'm on the 2-3 week list, gah). Anyways I run a Parallels a couple office programs and my current iMac with 16gb is using 12gb. I'm leaving a bunch of stuff open, however Lion will utilize the extra RAM if you have it available. I don't know if if their will be programs that won't run in the next 5 years if you don't have 16gb of RAM but I think you will notice better performance overall.

I'm in the camp that if I have a computer for 3-5 years I will easily pay for the $200 premium over in time not lost waiting for programs to swap memory, even with a SSD.

Here's what I have open
Logmein Ignition (beta mac version)
Mail
iCal
iTunes
Address Book
Word
1Password
EyeTV
SecuritySpy
Chrome
Safari
Outlook 2011
Excel 2011
HandBrake
BusyCal
GotoMeeting
Parallels with the VM allocating 2GB of RAM running Windows XP

I'm sure that all this would run on 8GB but I would be paging more and paging sucks.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
If I need a 2012 MBP with 16GB RAM in the year 2017, I'll just buy one off ebay or craigslist for $200.

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
The useful life of a computer like this is about 3-4 years. Looking back at mid way through 2009 4GB was just become the de facto standard for people building a new desktop machine.

It is only recently that people have started putting in 8GB into the standard machine, and this push was more due to the huge drop in DRAM prices rather than any apparently need for more memory.

I have 32GB in my desktop and as a habit I never close tabs until when I shut down the machine at the end of the night. Even with games running in the background with 4-5 windows of 10 tabs each open I never reach over 6-7GB of RAM.

Something people should keep in mind is that if you are utilizing the HD4000, 512MB will be allocated to the iGPU and you only effectively have 7.5GB of RAM with a 8GB machine.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
8GB is enough, though I think 12GB is the sweet spot. Personally I'd grab the 16GB model since it isn't upgradable and OS X loves to chew up RAM and store stuff in it :p

robinwjonsson

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Retina mac ram

Hi!

What if I'll do some heavy work on Pro Tools on my future MBP Retina, i'll play the most demanding games, and I don't want to have to buy a new computer in 5 years, should I buy 16gb RAM instead of 8 gb ram? what do you think?
An apple employee told me (in sweden) that the ram is replaceable by the user, which I have seen here and elsewhere is not true, shame on them for lying :(

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
would you guys recommend the same for the 2012 13" ?

I'm getting 2012 13" and I'm getting 16GB. It's only a stink'n $100 on new egg. No brainer. Well, at least for me. I do video editing and on my windows pc, I've maxed out my resources 100% on my i7, and 12gb of ram, encoding on an SSD mind you. I have a picture of it because I knew ppl wouldn't believe me. Anyways, it's only a $100.

To the OP, just get the 16GB, you'll always be wondering if, and then IF you ever do need it, you'll be kicking yourself. $180 on a $2200+ machine... you can do it.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Wow, a raspberry pi is capable of school work, a rMBP is way overpowered for what you anitcipate you'll be doing. Pro Tools however is a different matter, in that case I'd go with what I could afford with what I could anticipate myself using.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
You can get 16gb RAM for less than $180.

You can get 8gb RAM for less than $75.

I'm just saying......

Disregard this. Thought he was going with non retina model.

Last edited:

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Definitely get 16Gb of RAM. You have no idea, but the operating systems in 3 years could easily benefit from the upgrade. If it's not user replaceable, even the more reason to be safe than sorry. Plus, aperture is a real RAM user.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
I have to agree with the poster above me. I too order 8gb base model right after the Apple store came up. Then I found out it was non-upgradable, cancelled my order and reordered with 16gb of RAM (now I'm on the 2-3 week list, gah). Anyways I run a Parallels a couple office programs and my current iMac with 16gb is using 12gb. I'm leaving a bunch of stuff open, however Lion will utilize the extra RAM if you have it available. I don't know if if their will be programs that won't run in the next 5 years if you don't have 16gb of RAM but I think you will notice better performance overall.

I'm in the camp that if I have a computer for 3-5 years I will easily pay for the $200 premium over in time not lost waiting for programs to swap memory, even with a SSD.

Here's what I have open
Logmein Ignition (beta mac version)
Mail
iCal
iTunes
Address Book
Word
1Password
EyeTV
SecuritySpy
Chrome
Safari
Outlook 2011
Excel 2011
HandBrake
BusyCal
GotoMeeting
Parallels with the VM allocating 2GB of RAM running Windows XP

I'm sure that all this would run on 8GB but I would be paging more and paging sucks.

is this a joke? you have like a bunch of tiny little apps and a few standard ones running. you basically don't do anything taxing whatsoever besides handbrake. you're not going to start paging with 8gb of ram.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
If your current usage isn't even close to 8 GB, then 16 GB is a waste of money. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that having an extra 8 GB will increase the resale value of the machine tremendously because it won't. That extra 8 GB won't be worth even close to $200 in a year from now. It'll be worth like $50. Anything that's made with flash memory will not hold its resale value because the price of flash is rapidly decreasing. Anybody who needs 16 GB of memory in their laptop won't be buying a used one. I think some people are trying to justify their waste of $200 by saying things like "don't get the RAM you need now, get the RAM you need in 4 years". How many people who just bought a RMBP are still going to have it and not the latest model in 4 years? Honestly...

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
If your current usage isn't even close to 8 GB, then 16 GB is a waste of money. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that having an extra 8 GB will increase the resale value of the machine tremendously because it won't. That extra 8 GB won't be worth even close to $200 in a year from now. It'll be worth like $50. Anything that's made with flash memory will not hold its resale value because the price of flash is rapidly decreasing. Anybody who needs 16 GB of memory in their laptop won't be buying a used one. I think some people are trying to justify their waste of $200 by saying things like "don't get the RAM you need now, get the RAM you need in 4 years". How many people who just bought a RMBP are still going to have it and not the latest model in 4 years? Honestly...

Yeah some people are definitely unrealistic, need bringing back down to earth haha, but if the users work depends on using virtual machines then 16GB would definitely be better, could run multiple VM's at once then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.