8TB in 2012 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by monkeybagel, Nov 27, 2016.

1. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Has anyone attempted the installation of a 8TB disk in a 2012 Mac Pro? Considering updating my storage and looking at three spindles. The 8TB (or even 6GB) seems to be an attractive option. I would replace three internal 2TB disks with three 8TB spindles.

I am considering (although I would like to have HGST drives) the 8TB Enterprise Capacity to populate thee drive bays in my 2012 Mac Pro, and upgrade the SSD to 2TB or 4TB drive.

Has anyone tested 8GB in OS X 10.12? Any problems?

Thank you

2. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

I have a couple of Seagate Archive 8TB disks in my 2008 MP 3,1 & they work without problems so you shouldn't have any problems with your 2012 model.

3. theitsage macrumors 6502a

I have a pair of HGST Ultrastar He8 8TB in my 5,1 for the past 7 months. They work great and the speed is incredible for spinning drive. They are running about 200MB/s both read and write.

4. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I have a Western Digital 8TB Gold Enterprise HDD in my 4,1-5,1 Mac Pro, in HDD bay slot 1. No issues.

5. monkeybagel thread starter macrumors 65816

6. Average Pro macrumors regular

If you run into problems after you install the drives, do the following:
    (1) Remove the drive
    (2) Format it on an external drive
    (3) Place it back in the Sandcrawler enclosure

I had to go through this for drives larger than 2TB.

7. theitsage macrumors 6502a

You'll need this sled for mounting 6TB or larger drives because the mounting holes are different.

8. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It depends, my WD Red 6TB's mounting points perfectly fit the Mac Pro's original sled.

9. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Yes, forgot about needing the new sled for different mounting hole pattern.

10. TheBigearedOne macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'd like to install 10TB drives by WD or Seagate in my MacPro3,1 2008 but Im wondering if all 10TB drives have gotten rid of the middle screw holes underneath?

For some reason OWC sleds are only for MacPros of 2009 onwards

Does anyone know if the sleds will work between the 2008 and 2009 models - whats the difference?

I cant find anyone making drive sleds with holes for the 10TB screw configuration that will fit the 2008 mac pro?

Any tips would be very appreciated? 10TB mac pro sled and new holes.png 10TB larger drive screw holes.png

11. WayneStewart macrumors newbie

The SATA connectors are further in on 2009 and later Mac Pros so the drive sleds are longer. If you use 2009 sled in a 2008 then part of the drive sled sticks out and you can’t close the cover. If you weren’t going to close the cover and don’t mind your drives not being latched in then it should work. Can tell you for sure in 3 days when I’m back home

12. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

When looking at big disks, worry not only about the mounting holes (some big disks have older style mounting holes, some don't mate with Apple sleds) but about the recording method.

Some big disks, like the Seagate 8TB "Archive" drives, use shingled recording that can really kill random write performance. (In general, "archive" means "write once, probably read never" so this is a reasonable choice to get big drives at a good cost per Gigabyte.)

Other drives, like the Seagate enterprise drives, use standard recording and have decent read and random write performance.