9.7 Inch iPad Pro Review

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Michaelgtrusa, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Great review - I always appreciate Rene's take on things. For those of us coming from older iPads, this is going to be a fantastic upgrade.

It is curious to me that 3D Touch is not offered in either of the Pro iPads. Makes me wonder about the future of that feature.

3. Osty macrumors 6502a

4. Chacocliff macrumors regular

It seems like the embargo has been lifted, as many 9.7 iPad Pro reviews have come out in the past few hours. Here is one from Mashable.

5. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I've heard that there are simply engineering challenges in employing the technology to larger displays, which makes sense when you think about it.

7. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Nice to see reviews coming in, but everything I am seeing is more or less reiterating the spec sheet with short hands on impressions.

I want to hear some real talk about the display on the 9.7" compared to the air 2 or 12.9".

I really am looking for the Ars Technica and Anandtech reviews. Always have been my go to's for detailed reviews on tech.

8. wxnats macrumors 6502a

I keep going back and forth about which pro to purchase. I was set on the 9.7" until I found out about the RAM. Then I was set on the 12" until I watched these reviews. I'm going to use it for photo editing, media consumption, Internet browsing, and emails. I'll just go to the Apple Store next weekend, play with both, and make up my mind then.

9. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Just pick up a pro before tomorrow to get the staples deal and play around with it to see what you think. The 12.9" seems like a device you need more time with than a few minutes in a store anyway.

Either way it's win win. Keep the 12.9 and get it on sale,or return it for the 9.7 if it seems a better fit. That's what I'm doing.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

11. wxnats macrumors 6502a

That's a good idea. If I don't like it, I can swap for the 9.7". Thanks for the suggestion!

12. ray737 macrumors regular

I'm sold on the 9.7. Ordered . For me I tried the 12.9. Too heavy for me.

13. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

The way i see it, apple is basically touting the ipad pro as the new laptop and the apple pencil is the new mouse/cursor. Since that is the case and installing 3d touch panels would be expensive (including technical costs like battery life) I forsee them releasing an apple pencil 2 later this year that has a secondary click (read: right click) much like a mouse would. This secondary button could do a number of things, but chief amongst them would be activating ios's 3d touch menus. At least thats my take on how they are going to implement it into the ipad.

Good to see these new 9.7 pros. I think they'll really help with developer support in the long run.

14. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

That's what I'm doing. Just picked up an open box 32gb Pro at Best Buy for $574. Can't imagine I won't stick with it but if I find it too cumbersome I'll return it for a 9.7 Pro.

15. stevemiller macrumors 65816

if apple wanted to, i can't see any reason why they couldn't unlock 3d touch functionality with the CURRENT pencil. The pressure sensitivity is already there.

16. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Very good point. Just a hypothesis I have on the least expensive way for Apple to incorporate it AND still profit on sales of new hardware (like pencil owners upgrading to the pencil 2)...

I guess we'll see. To be fair, Apple could also theoretically activate the always on 'Hey Siri' for 12.9 iPP but is keeping it 9.7 exclusive. There is precedent for feature holdout even when the device is capable.

17. freddisier macrumors newbie

we're all know it's the best 9.7 ipad out there right now but my main concern is how long can this last? I'm so tempted to get it next Thursday but I'm so afraid Apple would undercut me by releasing a new iPad with A10X and 4GB RAM in 6 months time. (yes I got the iPad 3, and that cut still hurts me) LOL

and we all know iPHone 7 would get the A10. There's a huge chance that some devices using A10x would come out in Sep too.

18. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I'd buy a large iPad Pro for that price.

19. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

If your interested in the 9.7, it seems like a pretty safe buy right now. I can't see them doing a mid cycle upgrade like they did with the 3 to the 4. Even if they did, the new pros scream, whereas the 3 was severely underpowered for what it was trying to accomplish.

20. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

21. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

22. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

It appears so. I'm still worried cause the iPhone 6s gets good battery life in that test and it just seems like my 6s sucks for battery life. Probably just me. I've heard that the Air 2 doesn't fair as well as the original Air in battery life so this according to the tests should be great.

23. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I was a 100% "no" on the 12.9, but the 9.7 changed my thinking completely. I have one on order with a silicon case and smart keyboard as well. I've been using my iPhone 6s and iPad mini 3 to figure out how a couple of my workflows are going to change, and was surprised to find out that there are only going to be a couple of quick tasks per week that will require me to get on my laptop--one of them will involve a quick file conversion, and one of them is just to drag and drop a file to my iCloud Drive folder. Other than that, I can do everything else on my iPad.

I have been resistant to the idea of any iPad being capable of handling my day to day stuff, but when forced to really look into how I'm going to handle everything (because I have my order in for the 9.7!), I've found that I don't need a laptop 99% of the time. When I do need one, we still have my wife's Macbook Pro or my work issued PC laptop. I will actually be selling my retina MBP just in the interest of simplifying my stable of gadgets and having less computers/screens in the house.

I think I'm going to be very happy with this device. To me it feels like it's still an iPad, but also a laptop replacement. The 12.9" Pro, when I tried one out, just felt like a huge desktop sized iPad that I wouldn't want to use for Netflix in bed.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I enjoy the iMore show, but let's be 100% honest -- Rene and co are more like human press releases for Apple products than critical reviewers. Partaking of their Apple editorial is like eating candy. I watch, read, listen to the gang to get the full feature set of an Apple product in an "Apple positive" environment, but I need to go elsewhere to find out what is missing, potential issues, what could be improved but not a deal killer, and if the product is worth the coin.

As far as authentic reviewers go I prefer Mossberg and Joanna Stern.

25. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Was going to get this instead of the 12.9 but multitasking and multiple apps are too cramped on the smaller version. They are both awesome.