Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
IMO Apple had struck gold in coming up with the 9.7" size for the iPad and the 7.9" size for the mini. Disappointed Apple decided to increase the screen size.

Do you guys see Apple again changing, coming up with a new screen size in the future ? or it will stick to the 10.5" screen size for future iterations now ?

The 9.7" display is from a bygone era of "the iPad is just a bigger iPhone or iPod."

Today, the 10.5 and 12.9" iPad Pro is positioned as a productivity device.

Apple itself never made a 9.7" MacBook Air. The smallest one Apple made was the 11" MacBook Air - and that model has been discontinued. That tells you what Apple thinks the smallest display should be and still offer productivity value for the user. Even the cheapest netbooks today have an 11" display. If you spend $400, you can buy a notebook with a 14" FHD display.

If Apple can squeeze an 11" or 12" display into a 1 lb chassis in the next few years, I would expect that to be the next standard for iPad Pro.

Reactions: ColdShadow

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Disappointed Apple decided to increase the screen size.

Do you guys see Apple again changing, coming up with a new screen size in the future ? or it will stick to the 10.5" screen size for future iterations now ?
The size increase is important and a part of iPad evolving into a laptop replacement which offers more productivity and real use.

with iOS 11 features and file management via Files App,iPad for the first time is achieving that goal.

The 9.7" form factor belongs to the era where iPad was just a large screen iPhone made for casual web browsing and entertainment.

that Era is gone,majority of people moved on to phablets and bigger phones for that kind of usage.hence why the whole iPad/tablet market was declining;almost dead.

So the change was necessary to evolve iPad into something more productive.

the 9.7" standard iPads are still available for those who want iPad just for casual "old school" use.
but they won't be as high end as 10.5" and 12.9".

Reactions: profets

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
IMO Apple had struck gold in coming up with the 9.7" size for the iPad and the 7.9" size for the mini. Disappointed Apple decided to increase the screen size.

I see them keeping the 10.5" size at least for the next few iterations but, once the "obstacle"(*) of launching the next iPhone with edge-to-edge front screen is out of the way later this year, that leaves Apple's iPad designers free to move to the same edge-to-edge concept with iPad so that the case size of the 10.5" model can shrink down to the old 9.7" size and in fact probably even a bit smaller. Experience with edge-to-edge on iPhone and with smaller bezels on this first 10.5" unit should help Apple get on top of volume manufacturing issues and tune the software for handling and rejecting accidental edge presses when holding it. I see the same thing happening for the 12.9" as well.

I'm not sure about the 7.9" (I'm not sure about any of it of course - just too uncertain about 7.9" to even make guesses). Maybe not going edge-to-edge on 7.9" is one thing Apple might keep to differentiate it from the Pro models or maybe the 7.9" screen size is going to get squeezed out anyway as the plus-sized phone gets a bigger and bigger screen.

(*) "Obstacle" because Apple didn't want to have these new iPads steal the thunder from the iPhone launch by being the first to go edge-to-edge.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
So does 10.5" size makes it ideal for that kind of usage ?
I see them keeping the 10.5" size at least for the next few iterations but, once the "obstacle"(*) of launching the next iPhone with edge-to-edge front screen is out of the way later this year, that leaves Apple's iPad designers free to move to the same edge-to-edge concept with iPad so that the case size of the 10.5" model can shrink down to the old 9.7" size and in fact probably even a bit smaller. Experience with edge-to-edge on iPhone and with smaller bezels on this first 10.5" unit should help Apple get on top of volume manufacturing issues and tune the software for handling and rejecting accidental edge presses when holding it. I see the same thing happening for the 12.9" as well.

I'm not sure about the 7.9" (I'm not sure about any of it of course - just too uncertain about 7.9" to even make guesses). Maybe not going edge-to-edge on 7.9" is one thing Apple might keep to differentiate it from the Pro models or maybe the 7.9" screen size is going to get squeezed out anyway as the plus-sized phone gets a bigger and bigger screen.

(*) "Obstacle" because Apple didn't want to have these new iPads steal the thunder from the iPhone launch by being the first to go edge-to-edge.

Oh I would be kicking myself if Apple decides to come out with an edge to edge display for the iPads next year in 2018, as I don't upgrade iPads every year!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
So does 10.5" size makes it ideal for that kind of usage ?

Oh I would be kicking myself if Apple decides to come out with an edge to edge display for the iPads next year in 2018, as I don't upgrade iPads every year!

Honestly, I think a redesign like that is probably going to occur with the next iteration of the iPad Pros (whenever that is - whether it is next spring, or late in 2018). We’re coming up on 5 years of the current chamfered edge design and I’m sure they’re working on a new design of some sort.

I don’t recall, which iPad are you using now that you’re curious about 9.7 vs 10.5?

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Honestly, I think a redesign like that is probably going to occur with the next iteration of the iPad Pros (whenever that is - whether it is next spring, or late in 2018). We’re coming up on 5 years of the current chamfered edge design and I’m sure they’re working on a new design of some sort.

I don’t recall, which iPad are you using now that you’re curious about 9.7 vs 10.5?

I am on an iPad 3

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
So next year are we surely in for a complete iPad design overhaul, like a border less iPad ? Just curious ? Since this year there will be a bezel free iPhone 8 and Apple will want to percolate it down to the iPads

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
So next year are we surely in for a complete iPad design overhaul, like a border less iPad ? Just curious ? Since this year there will be a bezel free iPhone 8 and Apple will want to percolate it down to the iPads

If I had to guess, I think at one point in 2018 we’ll see a new design for iPad Pros. Maybe OLED and slimmer bezels, integrated home button, all like the rumoured iPhone for this year? Less easy to predict with Apple these days though.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Lol. Dude. Every year you vacillate over purchasing the new iPad and decide not to because you are too scared on missing out on whatever the next year brings. Just upgrade already. If you buy the 9.7 Pro now, you've missed a year's worth of enjoyment from it over all of this handwringing. You're on the iPad 3, any of the new iPads are better. If you keep waiting for the perfect un-improvable iPad, you will be waiting forever.

0lf

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2016
The 9.7" display is from a bygone era of "the iPad is just a bigger iPhone or iPod."

Today, the 10.5 and 12.9" iPad Pro is positioned as a productivity device.
9.7" also come from an age when iPad were much larger and heavier machines. the OP iPad 3 is L 241, l 186, e 9.4mm and weight 652g (wifi).
the pro 10.5 is 251x174x6.1 and weight 469g.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
The ipad pro 9.7 only has 2 GB of RAM. Therefore is useless in terms of longevity, and may even struggle with iOS11. Therefore it would be wise to buy the new ipad pro 10.5 and the next update after that, and after that and after that.

Reactions: HiItsMe

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
9.7" also come from an age when iPad were much larger and heavier machines. the OP iPad 3 is L 241, l 186, e 9.4mm and weight 652g (wifi).
the pro 10.5 is 251x174x6.1 and weight 469g.
Lol, true. If you're still on an iPad 2/3/4, there's no cause for complaints about the 10.5 being too big and heavy as your current device is even bigger and heavier. :p

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Lol. Dude. Every year you vacillate over purchasing the new iPad and decide not to because you are too scared on missing out on whatever the next year brings. Just upgrade already. If you buy the 9.7 Pro now, you've missed a year's worth of enjoyment from it over all of this handwringing. You're on the iPad 3, any of the new iPads are better. If you keep waiting for the perfect un-improvable iPad, you will be waiting forever.

I'm glad you posted that. Because when I said something on similar lines, the OP blasted me for it.

I getting lotsa fun reading all the new concerns and what-ifs for next year he's cooking up in his head now. :D

It's a never-ending drama for him. To buy or not. Maybe this is THE year???

LOL.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Lol, true. If you're still on an iPad 2/3/4, there's no cause for complaints about the 10.5 being too big and heavy as your current device is even bigger and heavier. :p

Agreed ! But that does not mean I wanna again land up in a heavier, bulkier iPad. The weight of the 9.7" iPad Pro is the benchmark for me !

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Agreed ! But that does not mean I wanna again land up in a heavier, bulkier iPad.
The heavier, bulkier iPad is the Pro 12.9. Ultimately, there's negligible physical size and weight difference between the Air 2/Pro 9.7 and the Pro 10.5. Heck, I believe the Pro 10.5 might actually be a smidgen lighter than the Air/iPad 5.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I'd say to the OP either buy it or don't. Any recent iPad (Air 2 and newer) would be a fantastic upgrade from the ancient and really poor iPad 3. You have plenty of information from members of this forum, as well as the Apple website and other tech websites, to make an informed decision.

0lf

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2016
The ipad pro 9.7 only has 2 GB of RAM. Therefore is useless in terms of longevity, and may even struggle with iOS11. Therefore it would be wise to buy the new ipad pro 10.5 and the next update after that, and after that and after that.
Windows 10 run on 2Go ram systems. Do you think iOS will soon be heavier than Windows ?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Agreed ! But that does not mean I wanna again land up in a heavier, bulkier iPad. The weight of the 9.7" iPad Pro is the benchmark for me !

If you truly like that size & weight (I get it, been using the 9.7 Pro since launch and absolutely love the size/weight combination), is there any reason you didn’t get one last year? Or were you still happy with the iPad 3 at that time?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Windows 10 run on 2Go ram systems. Do you think iOS will soon be heavier than Windows ?
Windows 10 also has a storage-backed page file. That said, 2GB RAM on Windows is a pretty poor experience if you multitask.
[doublepost=1497120409][/doublepost]
If you truly like that size & weight (I get it, been using the 9.7 Pro since launch and absolutely love the size/weight combination), is there any reason you didn’t get one last year? Or were you still happy with the iPad 3 at that time?
Because something absolutely great that blows the 9.7 Pro out the water was supposed to come out this year. :p

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015

Windows and iOS are completely different operating systems and have completely different audiences. It would be stupid to compatre the two like this.

Whereas microsoft have optimised windows 10 to run really well on older hardware, iOS doesnt play nice with hardware 3-5 years old. The trick is to build in planned obsolescence. Apple is a company that has very devoted fans who will buy the latest and greatest and are willing to buffer little but significant price increases. I think its a non issue and apple decides what software can be installed on the devices, not its users. This also ensures tight control of the apple ecosystem.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK

I stand by my theory but timing is less certain. Apple have tended to milk the same design for as long as it can, look at iPhone 6/6s/7 all on the same basic physical design.

If Apple is back to annual iPad refreshes and the next iPad is going to be released 12 months or less after this one then I would say there is at least a 50% chance that Apple would stick with the same 10.5" form factor as the one it just announced, i.e. no edge-to-edge OLED until the release after next. If Apple is re-aligning to March/April iPad releases and leaving the next update until March/April 2019 then I would expect it to go edge-to-edge OLED at that point.

Ultimately though any speculation here about the future is just that - speculation. Even Apple probably doesn't know yet, it will have multiple options on the drawing board and will probably not make a choice until much closer to launch so that it can see what competitors have been doing. I'm afraid you really do need to make a decision on the released products you know about now not speculation from a bunch of strangers who by definition don't have any inside knowledge (if they were genuine insiders they would be under non disclosure agreements).

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I stand by my theory but timing is less certain. Apple have tended to milk the same design for as long as it can, look at iPhone 6/6s/7 all on the same basic physical design.

If Apple is back to annual iPad refreshes and the next iPad is going to be released 12 months or less after this one then I would say there is at least a 50% chance that Apple would stick with the same 10.5" form factor as the one it just announced, i.e. no edge-to-edge OLED until the release after next. If Apple is re-aligning to March/April iPad releases and leaving the next update until March/April 2019 then I would expect it to go edge-to-edge OLED at that point.

Ultimately though any speculation here about the future is just that - speculation. Even Apple probably doesn't know yet, it will have multiple options on the drawing board and will probably not make a choice until much closer to launch so that it can see what competitors have been doing. I'm afraid you really do need to make a decision on the released products you know about now not speculation from a bunch of strangers who by definition don't have any inside knowledge (if they were genuine insiders they would be under non disclosure agreements).

In light of a redesigned iphone, in the shape of iphone 8, its highly likely next spring 2018 there will be a brand new redesigned ipad lineup for both the regular and pro versions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.