9.7 Pro Owners - Upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tapiture, Oct 31, 2018.


Upgrading your 9.7 Pro to the new iPad Pro?

  1. Yes

    53 vote(s)
  2. Not now, but probably when they go on sale

    9 vote(s)
  3. No, skipping this one

    24 vote(s)
  1. Tapiture macrumors 65816


    Oct 1, 2016
    I’d like to hear fellow 9.7 Pro owner’s thoughts. On one hand I’d like to upgrade, but I just bought a MacBook Pro and I kind of want a Series 4 Watch. Kind of torn on what to do.
  2. havenyoung macrumors regular


    Oct 22, 2013
    I am. But still debating which size to get. :/
  3. c14nhl macrumors 6502


    Oct 30, 2008
    I’m going from my 9.7 Pro to the 11 Pro.

    Was very tempted by the 12.9.
  4. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Oct 25, 2013
  5. Saskat macrumors regular


    Mar 27, 2017

    I do like the new look so I will wait till it goes on sale or till the regular iPad gets the same design.
  6. jrs22 macrumors 6502

    Aug 1, 2012
    I’m debating the 11 vs the 12.9. My son has what I still think of as MY iPad Air and it’s starting to show it’s age so it’s trickle-down time. We both end up with improved tablets.
  7. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

    Jun 30, 2012
  8. nobeerleft macrumors newbie

    Dec 20, 2012
    Yep, I went with the 9.7 Pro 128 -> 12.9 Pro 256
  9. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816


    Oct 1, 2016
  10. tothemoonsands macrumors member


    Jun 14, 2018
    I went from 9.7 Pro 128 -> 11 Pro 256. Was briefly tempted by 12.9, but I am now very confident in my decision of 11. The 9.7 felt perfect in the hand, so the same form factor with larger screen + all the new features and power is very compelling.
  11. Trajan81 macrumors newbie

    Oct 3, 2013
    Kingston, Ontario
    Going from the 9.7” Pro to the 12.9” pro. Debated the 11” as it is still a good jump in screen size compared to the 9.7” but I have been using the iPad more and more as my daily driver. Figured as time went on I would regret not having the larger screen.
  12. Plett macrumors regular


    Feb 16, 2016
    No but I don't use the one I have enough. I bought the pencil and keyboard with great plans, but.... MBP just still made more sense for me. I'll give it another gen and try again.
  13. burts macrumors member

    Nov 4, 2015
    Yes but is that apple cover worth 80 bucks, and does the pencil sell for cheaper on ebay? Im stuck on my checkout sceeen wondering about my question...lol

    I have had 3 ipads so far and always had the $10 amazon covers
  14. iluvgadgets macrumors regular

    Mar 25, 2015
    Thinking about it, but then I would need a new pencil and keyboard cover....don’t see why the original pencil won’t work in new iPad smh
  15. Kate. macrumors regular

    Aug 30, 2009
    Yep. Upgrading to an 11" and No. 2 Pencil. The improvements to RAM, chip, and screen are big since I pretty much live in Procreate. I'm really looking forward to the new Pencil too. Being able to tap the Pencil to change between brush and eraser is such a simple, elegant solution and frees up one more gesture in Procreate for something else. The price hike is steep but I think the value is there if you're a heavy user.

    I usually do a 2-3 year upgrade cycle and sell my old gear so I'm good until at least 2020. Probably 2021.
  16. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 14, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    I’m torn. I could keep the 9.7’ and get the 12.9’ - best of both worlds in a way. Traditional iPad size with the added bonus of Smart Keyboard and original Apple Pencil plus the new one with the pencil 2. That all just seems overkill, how many devices is too many before productivity drops?! Getting the 11’ to replace the 9.7’ is more sensible BUT I feel doing that I’ll won’t get what I feel I should in resale for my perfectly fine 9.7’ and accessories..... as I said, I’m torn!
  17. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816


    Oct 1, 2016
    I'm in the same place, completely torn. Except I would only ever want the 11" model. I'm also torn because I want the Apple Watch too. Idk why Apple had to redesign so many products this year, makes it so much harder to decide haha.
  18. BaddAdvice macrumors regular


    Jul 9, 2016
    Was looking at the 10.5 as an upgrade, but waited to see what was coming out this week. Glad I did as the 11” ticks all the boxes for me. 256gb with the new keyboard and pencil are on their way for delivery in a week.
  19. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 14, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    The footprint of the 11’ isn’t that much bigger than the 9.7’, so that’s pretty good but I’ve owned a 12.9’ before and I felt it just needed a bit shaving off to be amazing. I’m scared for the resale price of my 9.7’ iPad, looking at eBay they’re horrible, I’ve seen listings that bundle in pencils sell for prices at iPad Mini 4 levels, to me that’s just too low - I’ll resent selling mine with 256GB storage for a price that low.
  20. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816


    Oct 1, 2016
    Mine has AppleCare+ on it for a few more months, hoping that could add to the value. I'm thinking I could sell it for $429, $100 more than the regular iPad. Maybe more if I include ASK/Pencil.
  21. daven85 macrumors member

    Mar 29, 2011
    Yes. I sold my iPad Pro 9.7 a couple of months ago to upgrade. Already ordered my new one.
  22. AlliFlowers Contributor


    Jan 1, 2011
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    Ordered my 12.9 shortly after the show ended. I hadn't planned to. But the size is sweet now. I use my 9.7 a LOT with the pencil. I don't use the AKB. So I also ordered the new pencil.

    I realize the 9.7 is one of the few things in the Apple ecosystem that didn't hold its value, but it is what it is. I've also stayed at the bottom or the space available. Who needs a TB on an iPad when there's still no file system?! (You couldn't even get that much on the new MBA!!)
  23. nobeerleft macrumors newbie

    Dec 20, 2012
    Just received the Smart Folio for my upcoming 12.9. Thought the 12.9 might be going to be too big, but from the cover size it seems like it will be perfect.
  24. Ambulater macrumors member


    Dec 14, 2012
    Yes. Preordered the new iPad Pro 12.9”, space grey, 256GB with keyboard folio and Pencil 2. Not sure what to do with my current 9.7” iPad Pro with pencil and two keyboard (Logitech and Apple). Maybe just hang on to them.
  25. Dexterama, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

    Dexterama macrumors regular

    Sep 13, 2017
    New England
    I checked the trade-in value of my 9.7 pro on Apple’s site and it’s only $175. I’d rather keep it or hand it down to a family member. Trading it in for that amount doesn’t seem worth it because the 9.7 is still plenty fast, with 2GB RAM being the main limiting factor. It’s not a turd like the iPad 3. I’m only annoyed when I switch out of PowerPoint for a bit and oftentimes the app restarts and goes back to the beginning of the slide. Other than that it’s fine. Like you, I contemplated keeping the 9.7 and buying the new 12.9, but that much tech hoarding feels so gluttonous.

    If I end up getting the new iPad of whichever size, I don’t think I will buy the keyboard this time around. I use the iPad primarily for note taking, and I can’t use the ASK at the same time unless the iPad is upright, but that’s not a comfortable angle for writing. I’ll stick with the folio.

Share This Page

56 October 31, 2018