Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Upgrading your 9.7 Pro to the new iPad Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 53 61.6%
  • Not now, but probably when they go on sale

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • No, skipping this one

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
So on one hand I really do want to upgrade, on the other some things are annoying me:
  • The price
  • The lack of smart cover (what's the point of choosing silver or space grey when everything is going to be covered)
  • No lightning which means another cable to carry and another headphone dongle
So I'm really torn, not sure what to do

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
I’m debating the 11 vs the 12.9. My son has what I still think of as MY iPad Air and it’s starting to show it’s age so it’s trickle-down time. We both end up with improved tablets.
So you will buy the 11” for your son and continue using your current device?/s

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
So you will buy the 11” for your son and continue using your current device?/s

I’m not that generous. My son gets my lovingly maintained 9.7 pro. I’m going to buy a new iPad Pro for myself but rather than preorder I decided to wait until next week and handle the 11 and the 12.9 at an Apple store. I’ve been wanting a 12.9 since the 1st generation and this might be the year. I can’t bring myself to preorder the 12.9 but once I handle it I might be convinced.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
I’m not that generous. My son gets my lovingly maintained 9.7 pro. I’m going to buy a new iPad Pro for myself but rather than preorder I decided to wait until next week and handle the 11 and the 12.9 at an Apple store. I’ve been wanting a 12.9 since the 1st generation and this might be the year. I can’t bring myself to preorder the 12.9 but once I handle it I might be convinced.
I kind of love the size of the 9.7 pro, so having an 11" screen in a similar chassis is perfect for me. I have a 15" MacBook Pro so what I really need is something really portable to jot down notes and edit photos.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I’d like to hear fellow 9.7 Pro owner’s thoughts. On one hand I’d like to upgrade, but I just bought a MacBook Pro and I kind of want a Series 4 Watch. Kind of torn on what to do.
I want to, the new models are really, really alluring, But the price....

And then, yes, the Series 4 watch is really tempting too...

Reactions: Tapiture

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, planning to sell my OG 12.9" and 9.7" and Pencil and upgrade to the 11" and new Pencil. Probably going to put them on Marketplace for a "cheaper than Swappa" price soon.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I checked the trade-in value of my 9.7 pro on Apple’s site and it’s only $175. I’d rather keep it or hand it down to a family member. Trading it in for that amount doesn’t seem worth it because the 9.7 is still plenty fast, with 2GB RAM being the main limiting factor. It’s not a turd like the iPad 3. I’m only annoyed when I switch out of PowerPoint for a bit and oftentimes the app restarts and goes back to the beginning of the slide. Other than that it’s fine. Like you, I contemplated keeping the 9.7 and buying the new 12.9, but that much tech hoarding feels so gluttonous.

If I end up getting the new iPad of whichever size, I don’t think I will buy the keyboard this time around. I use the iPad primarily for note taking, and I can’t use the ASK at the same time unless the iPad is upright, but that’s not a comfortable angle for writing. I’ll stick with the folio.
Yes, exactly, I'm not sure the $175 is worth it. I could give my son my 9.7" pro to replace his iPad air 2, and give is iPad air 2 to my daughter, who uses an old iPad (3? 4?). Trickle down...

hazeydavey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Wife is getting my 2017 one....so I don't have to deal with her borrowing all the time because the mini I gave her is too slowwwww

jasbur17

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Southern New Jersey
9.7 128 going to the 11 256. Torn between that and 12.9 but I figured just the bump to 11 will feel pretty good.
I still mainly use a laptop, but if ipad was my primary I'd get the bigger one.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Yes, exactly, I'm not sure the $175 is worth it. I could give my son my 9.7" pro to replace his iPad air 2, and give is iPad air 2 to my daughter, who uses an old iPad (3? 4?). Trickle down...
Should be careful about giving iPads to the kids, haha. Just read an article yesterday that says "on the scale between candy and crack cocaine, it's closer to crack cocaine."
https://apple.news/ASDmilf-NQk6rmn2McrsJ3g

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Should be careful about giving iPads to the kids, haha. Just read an article yesterday that says "on the scale between candy and crack cocaine, it's closer to crack cocaine."
https://apple.news/ASDmilf-NQk6rmn2McrsJ3g
Yes, I it's not good, but it's difficult to avoid when all the other kids have. My son (11) is addicted (yes, crack cocaine), but my daughter (5) is rarely interested.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Not yet. I want to see if my 9.7 works with Photoshop first. If not, I will get the 12.9 at some point down the road. Probably wait to see if I can get it on sale.

I have the Series 4 Watch already. ;)

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Will wait for a different color option and wait until the prices drop. Right now perfectly content with my lovely rose gold iPad 10.5 which already have the gesture control. I do love the new pencil and bummed that they made it not work with previous gen iPads.

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
I’m sticking with the 9.7” - mainly because of my usage. I use it frequently (right now), but it does everything I need. I cant justify the $$ for an upgrade.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
I’m sticking with the 9.7” - mainly because of my usage. I use it frequently (right now), but it does everything I need. I cant justify the $$ for an upgrade.
That’s what the rational part of my brain is saying

Reactions: rui no onna

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Would really like this update but with the massive price increase on not just the iPad but the accessories as well it’s a tough sell for a device that is a nice to have rather than a must-have. Given the abysmal re-sale values I may just wait 6 months until I can buy from one of you poor suckers at half price! :cool:

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
That’s what the rational part of my brain is saying

I own a iPhone XS Max (company pays for almost all of it), 9.7 IPP (I purchased for a great deal used), 2015 15” rMBP (I purchased for a great deal used). So you can see I am all about saving money if I can.

I would love a larger screen, I would love a small bezel, etc. But there is no limitations I am facing with it. I love the Smart Keyboard. I hope this things lasts me a long time! Or at least until I can find a really good deal on the 11” 128+GB LTE model.

I dont make a ton of $ - and single income, wife, 6 minor children. So that is what informs my decision.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I kind of love the size of the 9.7 pro, so having an 11" screen in a similar chassis is perfect for me. I have a 15" MacBook Pro so what I really need is something really portable to jot down notes and edit photos.

I do love the size of my 9.7 pro but the truth is that my iPad almost never leaves home unless I’m traveling for an extended period. If I’m just carrying it up and down the stairs in my house the extra bulk and weight don’t matter. I’ve lusted after a 12.9 since the first generation so I’ve got to handle it before deciding what to do.

The other thing is that these iPads last such a long time that the only way I can generate an “excuse” to upgrade is when there’s a significant improvement and/or my son needs an upgrade. The stars were not aligned with the gen 1 and gen 2. My DIL is still using the iPad 3 and iPad mini 4 that she inherited and my son would probably make do with the Air but he’s visiting right now so was at the table with me when I was reading about the new models.

mguzman

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Getting the 12.9 256 GB through Verizon. My 9.7 128 GB is getting passed on to my wife and her current iPad Air 2 is getting used as a trade in to Verizon.

This has been an expensive upgrade season since I bought a iPhone XS and Apple Watch 4 last month.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Getting the 12.9 256 GB through Verizon. My 9.7 128 GB is getting passed on to my wife and her current iPad Air 2 is getting used as a trade in to Verizon.

This has been an expensive upgrade season since I bought a iPhone XS and Apple Watch 4 last month.
Same here. Just bought a 2018 MBP 15" and I also want a series 4 and this new iPad. Apple's really overwhelmed me this season.

kidtachyon

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Utah's West Desert
I really wanted to upgrade to the 12.9 model, but it’s over $1,700 for the 256GB, plus the new Smart Keyboard, new Apple Pencil, and tax.

So instead, I bought a used 2017 12.9 model with the keyboard for $600. I’m saving over $1,100 by choosing last year’s model instead of the latest and greatest. I’ll just keep my 9.7” for travel and backup.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Not interested at all honestly.
Love everything about my 9.7 iPP.

Size is a great mix of usable and portable and it’s still a total speed demon with all the features I need.

Also, and I apologize for going down this route, I do actually use the headphone jack on mine a few times a week. It’s pretty irritating they nixed that on the iPads - at least to me.

Also, MS office starts to not be free and fully unlocked on any screen size larger than the 9.7”, which is a HUGE consideration for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.