iPad Pro 9.7 Touch ID 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DerMario, Mar 21, 2016.

1. DerMario macrumors member

DerMario

Does the new iPad pro have the Touch ID 2.0 from the iPhone 6s?

2. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I've also been wondering but it doesn't seem like it has 2nd Gen Touch ID sadly. If it had, it'd of been mentioned in the keynote or in the Tech Specs of the iPad on Apple's website.

3. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Please don't rub it in much harder. If the 9.7" has updated touchID sensor, then this is a huge F YOU to 13" IPP buyers. Next time I hear Phil Schiller speak out I'm going to yell out BULL S***!

"Most advanced iPad Pro (speaking about the 13") ever - MY A*****"

4. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Wait...how do we know this? I would assume it has the newest touch sensor.

5. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Yea that would really suck

6. EldonChew macrumors regular

Compare this page http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/ with http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

If it has the 2nd generation Touch ID, it will say "Second-generation fingerprint sensor built into the Home button", otherwise "Fingerprint sensor built into the Home button".

7. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Lol....it's truly a bigger ipad with the advantage of stylus support......if we sit here and actually think about it, it was never a pro device.....apple did us like they usually do us....take our money and gimp us at the end.....everything is pro now because apple wants more profits.....

8. Erkenstein macrumors newbie

The lack of second-generation Touch ID caused me to seriously rethink my decision to buy this. As a iPhone 6s user I absolutely love the fast Touch ID on my phone. The lack of second generation makes me think of the number of times I would redo my scan because I would release the home button too soon.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Whilst I agree they should have included the second generation of Touch ID in the Pro I don't think it's as crucial or important as it is on the iPhone. You're not going to use the Touch ID on the iPad for in store purchases for example. In general it has less uses on the iPad then on the iPhone.

10. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Pretty sure the Touch ID is first generation otherwise Apple would have advertise it heavily.

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Sadly it's definitely 1st generation à la iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. Not a patch on the 6s. Great pity that Apple has to penny pinch in this way, especially as the iPad Pro is so expensive.

12. Erkenstein macrumors newbie

I kinda agree with you, you aren't probably going to use it as much and therefore isn's as big of a deal, even though the use of ApplePay isn't even an option here in Finland (and I think it won't be possible even in the near future). But I think as I am accustomed to the fastness of the second-gen Touch ID going back to the first gen is going to need some rethinking in using both versions side-by-side. In the end it is however just a little nuisance.

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This is exactly the point.

14. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

You guys are making out like the 1st gen TouchID is rubbish. It's not. It's fast and reliable, just a tad slower than the 2nd gen on the 6S.

The difference is so insignificant that it should not factor into any purchasing decisions.

15. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

While my iP6S might react a bit faster no issues with the response time on my iPP and Mini3. So what ...

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

It's a matter of opinion I suppose, but when I upgraded from an iP6 to an iP6s I felt that there was a very significant difference in the speed of the TouchID.

I hope that I'm wrong because the iPad Pro 9.7 appeals a lot, especially for the sound and the screen. :)

17. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Can't say I've had any issues unlocking my 12.9" Pro with Touch ID so far. I've certainly never been left waiting or thinking it's taking too long to unlock compared to my iPhone.

So, personally, I couldn't care less if the 9.7" had an all new third generation that unlocked 0.0003ms faster.

18. RedOrchestra Suspended

Can't believe that some people are making this out to be a deal breaker - move on.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wait till the first few reviewers try to bend it.

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

It's not like first gen is even slow. It's like the difference between a full second and a half second. I can't believe some people consider it a deal breaker one way or the other.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

i'm constantly switching between iPad Mini 4 (1st gen TouchID) and iPhone 6S (2nd gen). Hardly a deal breaker at all.

22. Serban Suspended

Its the first gen touchid
    We already know this. The same in 13" ipp and iphone 6

23. yegon macrumors 68020

Newer version would be nice, but minimal issue for me. I switch on/sleep my iPad drastically less than I do my phone so the time it'll waste will be a 100th of how long it took to type this post.

24. Erkenstein macrumors newbie

Okay, good to hear!

25. psionicsin macrumors 6502

psionicsin

This!

I can understand needing it on the phone as you're doing many things at once (possibly even driving). But I HIGHLY doubt one is iPadding while driving or doing other things. It commands your attention and its not something you can half-ass like your phone.

TouchID v1 vs v2 for an iPad = who the f*¢k cares? If THAT matters to you, then you obviously aren't the target market for the iPP...those of which actually make use of the features it was made for.