9 to 5 Mac tipping Macworld release for new Mac Pros

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Oct 10, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

9 to 5 Mac seem to be tipping a Macworld SF 2008 Mac Pro update.

Read all about it. They are quickly developing a great reputation for being the most reliable source of Mac rumors (our own MR aside, of course) and reading between the lines, it looks to me like they are calling a Macworld mac pro Harpertown launch. It's an interesting read.

I have written to their editors three times previously asking them please to find out what they could as there were so many of us anxiously awaiting news of the new Mac Pro. I think that they have delivered the goods here, and I am really expecting the release to come in January 2008 now.

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

3 more months :( By the time I get my hands on this they'll be too old to use it :rolleyes:

3. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

If the price is dropped to $1500 (Assuming there will be updated hardware), I'm in.

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Just read the link. They say; we got to thinking that the MacPros were in fact due for an update at or around Macworld

I've not got much experience with rumor sites (apart from this one) but this just seems to say it's due an update, not that they've any special info on one.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i highly doubt all is going to come true that's in that article. maybe 2 of those things.

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's not really insider info, it's just a wish-list of what the writer wants, together with a couple of facts that have been announced elsewhere.

And I don't know where he gets his info, but the Mac Pro's fans are not loud and annoying. And, duh, if Apple uses Penryn, of course that Mac Pros will use less power and run cooler. 10GB Ethernet at a cost of $100, no thanks, the current 1GB Ethernet is good enough. eSATA is a good idea.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

On the ethernet, I would almost expect Apple to include the Broadcom 10Gb chipset on the motherboard soon.

8. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

From the article...

"Let’s go through some of the things we expect to see in the new MacPros:"

Given their Macworld expectation, I think some of this is rumor and some wishes. An example of some of the insider information suggested? Start with the first expectation...

1. New Enclosure. We've heard that the enclosure is getting smaller (finally!). Still Aluminum, still relatively large, still with four drive slots. Easy open case more like the G4 desktops. Hopefully better handles too.

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

A few things I don't see happening.

1. Hardware Raid is still going to be an option

2. There will be no price cut that big, you still need to pay over $2000 dollars.

(EDIT-Took out 2 things because I didn't read it correctly)

Imagine if they DID cut the prices to 1499, all our computers would have no value! Imagine the G5's prices after that!

10. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

They've kept mum on the Mac Pro all through the recent speculation. When they suggest Macworld, it's unlikely to be based just on their own speculation. These guys like to get it right when they suggest something, and they usually do.

NB: They make it quite clear that some of their expectations for the Mac Pro are wishes, but also that some are based upon things that they have 'heard'.

11. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Have to say that the writer has been hitting the crackpipe quite frequently...
    What a useless writeup.

-Fan noise...What fan noise? The noice of the MPs are about 1/5th of the G5s!

And dreaming about watercooling...jeebus,never again into a workstation enclosure,please!

-And whining about the 10GB card...yeah right.
    Maybe as a BTO option but otherwise,I dont think people want to pay for a feature that is usefull to 0.001% of the cliente.

-Price of 1499... Umm...I wont even get started...

Think so too.
    Apple is so blody greedy that it will continue to ask 1000$ for a 300$ raid card. Even if the bloody motherboard allready has a hardware raid in it!
    Propably apple will start shipping a big rock with the raid card so the users can shove it up the arse to get the "apple experience".

Grr.

12. cube macrumors G5

It is too old BEFORE even coming out.

13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

They Are Only Guessing MWSF

That is pure conjecture. I still believe in November.

Here's my critique on their article.
    ROTFLMAO. :p

14. cube macrumors G5

I want Phenom FX, not all this expensive obsolete tech.

15. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I still believe a new MacPro with Leopard or in November. Apple would want to kick off the new year with something newer and cooler. MacPro just needs a silent update, doesn't need to be a big deal.

16. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

All I'm saying is that these are the guys who showed us the Nano3, and we all called it a fake, and they got the iMac rollout and the iPhone non-event in Europe pretty much exactly right. Don't bet against 9 to 5, no matter how much you want a Mac Pro. Heck, I am one of the people in the Waiting Club.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Maybe the MPs won't get updated, but I think that the displays will get updated early November...

18. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I can't wait to link back to my original post weeks ago saying that a new mac pro will be in january.

Buying my Mac Pro last summer was the best computer purchase I've made.

19. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

And I can't wait to link back to mine saying that a new Mac Pro will arrive with Leopard.

20. Rowlander macrumors member

1.500$? On your road-trip to fantasyland! :D

If there will be some kind of base-configuration with single Quad CPU, 2 Gig RAM, cheap videocard and 250 Gig HDD for 2.000$, that would be a huge surprise to me!

I think, they´ll stick with their current prices. In their mind, average users prefer iMacs and Macbooks any way. And they´d probably be right. Haven´t laptops sold more in the last year than desktop PCs?
    The Mac Pro will always stay a Mac for the PROS!

Apple is probably proud about the fact that they DON'T offer a "boring" mid-range tower. :rolleyes:

21. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I could see them doing one shipping with a single Harpertown for about $1500. My understanding is that they can leave one socket unpopulated and it will work fine.

22. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

That would be nice, but wouldn't that overlap with the high end iMac? (not sure of US prices) I can't see Apple creating confusion with an overlap. If you look at the different lines, they are careful this doesn't happen. (I think! – in work and don't have time to check)

23. thies macrumors regular

That 9to5 article looks like nothing but the weird ideas of a single person substantiated by no inside knowledge. That there will be updated Mac Pro's in January is a good and reasonable guess anyone can make, but that's about it.
    just as looking at the MB release history will give you a reasonable expectation that they will again push out an upgrade within November.

24. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I'd agree if it weren't from 9 to 5.

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree. and i know it's from 9to5, but still...