$900 Apple GC...can't decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fabian43, Aug 13, 2013.

  1. fabian43 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2013
    #1
    I have a $900 Apple gift card. I'm trying to decide how to spend it. 3 options I'm considering is 1) buy 2012 13" retina refurb for $1249, 2) wait until 2013 13" retina's show up as refurbs, or 3) wait for new Haswells.

    My sweet spot is $1,200-$1,400. Kinda worried I'm gonna have to pay full price for new Haswell...how much? $1,500+??

    Is it better to get the Feb '13 retina or is '12 retina just fine? I imagine '13 retina refurbs will start popping up soon I hope. Maybe prices will drop once Haswell comes out.

    Surfing the web, YouTube, iTunes, office for Mac, iPhoto & some Aperture, imovie, and CS GO.
     
  2. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    Do you really need the new CPU line up? At this point, judging by the usage you listed, the answer is no. One right now will do just fine.
     
  3. fabian43 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2013
    #3
    Does it matter oct 2012 vs feb 2013 manufacturing date?
     
  4. bkribbs macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2012
    #4
    If you want the .1 GHz bump or slightly higher resale. Not worth extra though. Go with a 2012
     
  5. vandoorn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    #5
    Go for the current one. It meets your requirements and the price is better. :)
     
  6. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
  7. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #7
    I'd say if you want one now, get it, if not wait to see what your options are.

    I have a rMBP (2012) and the quality and performance is great.
     
  8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

    Count Blah

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    US of A
    #8
    If you are "frugal" in your purchases, and can get by with what you have, I would wait for Haswell. Since the 13" does not have a dedicated GPU, the boost from the iGPU would be of benefit and a wait of two months would mean an extra year on the back end, IMHO - provided you max out the RAM on purchase.

    But maybe that's just me on the frugal part, I try to maximize lifespans on machines.
     
  9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #9
    If you are looking at the base model 13" retina (2.5Ghz) then there is no difference. I believe the 2012 and 2013 models of the 2.5Ghz 13" actually have the same model number because they are the same computer.

    The 2013 2.6Ghz/256GB model does have the very slightly faster CPU revision, but it isn't much of a change.


    The main reason to wait for the Haswell model will be much improved graphics. The Iris 5100 graphics should be a big step up from the current HD 4000 graphics, and since you do mention CS:GO then it might be worth waiting.
     
  10. fabian43 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2013
    #10
    Won't hurt to wait a month and check out Haswell, if their pricing is out of my range I can then go for the '12/'13 refurbs...maybe the pricing will have gone down a bit and I can spring for a 256ssd. At least that way I can give myself an opportunity at the Haswell. Masters program doesn't start until late October anyway.
     
  11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #11
    I don't think anyone is expecting prices to increase, so the updated 13" base model will probably be at most $1499 ($1399 with education discount).

    Since they moved the 13" Air down in price this year by $100 I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen to the MBP, which would put it at $1399 ($1299 with education discount).
     
  12. yliu macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    #12
    Nobody know for sure what the next generation rMBP will be like. However, it is expected that the improvements will be similar as the 2013 MBA: more battery life, performance bump, and PCI express storage.

    If you photo/video editing and gaming is very important for you, I'd say wait for the next ones or get a 15 inch rMBP refurb now.

    Otherwise, for general daily use, you will rarely notice a difference. You might as well go for the new MBA.
     
  13. fabian43 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2013
    #13
    Is the education discount offered year round or only during back to school? If only during back to school then usually when is the offer generally pulled?
     
  14. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

    laurihoefs

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2013
    #14
  15. robvas macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    It'd be nice if the next revision of the 13" rMBP came with a 256GB drive stock...
     
  16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #16
    The education discount is offered year round. The only thing different during the Back to School promotion is the extra iTunes gift card.
     
  17. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2012
    Location:
    U.S.
    #17
    CAN you wait? Im not about the waiting game however I am not a fan of the current rmbp13.

    I would certainly wait if it was an option. No questions asked.
     
  18. fabian43 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2013
    #18
    Yes, my masters program doesn't start until late October so I don't NEED a laptop right now. Got my ipad and iMac, in fact I don't even have a MacBook, my wife does. I'm just kind of impatient but I should prolly show some discipline and wait. At least then if Haswell is so much better I'll get that, if it isn't then prices drop on current gen and I'll get a better deal?
     
  19. fabian43 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2013
    #19
    Just thought: get 13" rMBP 128 for $1249 now or wait 2 months and get new 13" rMBP Haswell base model for $1399. Hmm...for $150 and 2 months wait I think I'd rather have the new Haswell.
     
  20. Phan0121 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2013
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #20
    Anyone who buys a 13" rMBP right now when they can afford to wait is plain not thinking straight.

    The current 13" rMBP would need a huge discount for me to buy today.
     
  21. fabian43 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2013
    #21
    If I'm deciding between MBA 13" 8GB ram/128GB Haswell vs rMBP 13" 8GB ram/128GB Haswell...what would be main differences?
    Pro would have retina
    Pro would have dedicated HDMI
    Pro would still have less battery life
    Pro would be a little heavier
    Pro would be more expensive
    (Obviously we don't know if there will be any new unexpected features added)

    Looks like to me the Air can do most all the Pro can do except for retina. Shoot, I can pick up a mini display to HDMI adaptor for a few bucks whenever I need to stream my Raider games in TV.

    I could get the Air, with the saved money I could get a new TC and take advantage of the AC speed.

    Am I missing anything?
     

Share This Page