Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

210103-500x_open1.jpg

It seems Gizmodo did spend time taking apart the leaked next generation iPhone while they had it in their possession. They've posted a tear-down but unfortunately little new information was discovered. One question answered, however, is the fact that there is not a user replaceable battery as some had speculated.

Other notes:

- Battery takes up 50% of iPhone
- Circuit board encased in metal, thermal paste, black tape.
- They were unable to delver further without damaging the device
- No details on processor, memory, etc...
- No user-removable battery.

210104-500x_open12.jpg

Article Link: The Prototype iPhone Dissected, No User Removable Battery

harodude

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
I'm glad they didn't try and break into the thing further... It would be really bad if someone got a hold of this and started mass producing a knock off model!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No user removable battery on an iPhone is news? Welcome to all previous gens and future gen iPhones. :rolleyes:

Osnabrueck

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
I called bullhonkey on the user-removable battery from the get-go.

But that had me thinking that this was a hoax. Now the total reverse is true, but ends up that the main disqualifier wasn't there to begin with!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Battery life is nice but as long as it lasts a full day I really dont care and even my 3g lasts a full day of hard use. What I would really like is inductive charging.

a sandwhich

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
Why does the removable battery even really matter that much? I mean the battery is big enough for me, plus look at all the awesome features such as the front facing camera and much larger screen res.

rudigern

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Gizmodo being pricks about it?

Just me thinking that Gizmodo are being pricks about it? I wouldn't like my iPhone pulled apart to find out whats in it, then they give it back to Apple as if they did nothing wrong.

Don't think they will be invited to any more press events by Apple.

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
I love all of this coverage on the new iPhone. Gizmodo did the right thing by REPORTING the news accurately. I'm so happy I didn't waste my upgrade on a 3GS when this little gem is right around the corner! So excited to pick one up, I love the new design, front facing camera for video chatting! I sure hope someone takes off that metal to find out if it has a A4!!

I really don't see why everyone is hating gizmodo for taking the product apart, don't you want to know what's inside? Power to the consumer I say, the more we know the better. I don't know about you but im a fan of complete transparency.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Just me thinking that Gizmodo are being pricks about it? I wouldn't like my iPhone pulled apart to find out whats in it, then they give it back to Apple as if they did nothing wrong.

Don't think they will be invited to any more press events by Apple.

The next event they will be invited to by Apple will be a court hearing. :p

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Wow, can Gizmodo milk and drag this story out anymore? What is next..."oh...breaking news, right before we gave it to Apple we got processor and RAM info which we will begin posting tomorrow in one sentence posts for the next 10 days..."

mimeArtist

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Oh dear, Gizmodo didn't really make the most of having the device, other than clumsily pulling apart both the device and the career of the fella who lost it in the first place. Poor show.

nkm

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Camera

Can they see what the camera is. I hope they improved it! I know the video said it had a flash tho!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.