Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveLONDON

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
UK
After a frustrating morning spent discovering that the Incase Hardshell case does not fit my new MBP (despite what the guy at the Apple store told me), I ned to ask; Does anyone out there have a hard shell case that definitely does fit the new Magsafe connector?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I can confirm that the Spec Satin hardshell case fits the new magsafe supply. If you look you can see a very tiny 'angle' to the thing so its not a perfect fit, but good enough for full contact and charging.

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Incase Hardshell cases are hard to come by over here so I fixed this problem by cutting off about a square half centimeter from the corner of the case next to the Magsafe connector.

steveLONDON

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
UK
God I hope new cases come out soon. The 3rd parties seem to have really dropped the ball with this one.

Josh.C.123

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2009
London
i too got the incase and to my great dissatisfaction it didnt bleeding fit! £40 for something that is designed badly. i am afraid to cut off/trim it incase the edges are sharpened and it scratches!

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
God I hope new cases come out soon. The 3rd parties seem to have really dropped the ball with this one.

How did they drop the ball? It's not like Apple tells them ahead of time that they're changing stuff. The computers were just released a few days ago. And even though the charger sticks out at an angle, it's not like it won't charge your computer (I've tried already).

mainemanx

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Ha! Timely topic! Purchased a Matte, HiRes 15" i7 and a white CL57460 Incase Hardshell Case from local Apple Store. Top fits virtually perfectly... bottom has a few gaps. (It is however, a significantly better fit than the Speck.)

Low-profile MagSafe fits perfectly when the cord is routed alongside (and thereby obstructs) the Firewire, USB, etc. connectors.

As mentioned above, it appears a moderate amount filing will remove sufficient material to "have it both ways." I already have a round file lined up... next I need to find the hutzpah :)

BTW, white shore do look purtty!

salbiani

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Denver, CO
I can confirm that the Spec Satin hardshell case fits the new magsafe supply. If you look you can see a very tiny 'angle' to the thing so its not a perfect fit, but good enough for full contact and charging.

The Xgear Shadow Carbon Fiber is the same. A slight angle, but still seem to charge.

DSC_0008.JPG

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
The Xgear Shadow Carbon Fiber is the same. A slight angle, but still seem to charge.

DSC_0008.JPG

Surely it isn't too hard to reverse the connector around in the interim? I do realise it isn't the best solution, but proper contact with the electrical contacts would be ideal to having less contact per your photo.

salbiani

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Denver, CO
Surely it isn't too hard to reverse the connector around in the interim? I do realise it isn't the best solution, but proper contact with the electrical contacts would be ideal to having less contact per your photo.

I didn't mean to imply this is how I am using it. I was just showing how it fits.

steveLONDON

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
UK
It's not like Apple tells them ahead of time that they're changing stuff.

Yeah they do. I don't know who's fault it was this time but normally 3rd parties *are* aware of hardware changes and have products lined up and ready to go at time of launch or even before. How do you think they get all those iPhone and iPad cases and accessories to market at the same time as the Apple launch?

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
I didn't mean to imply this is how I am using it. I was just showing how it fits.

I realise that - I probably should have made it clearer I was talking in general, not specifically in reply to you. Your post was quoted because it had a nice purdy picture in it ;)

mainemanx

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
New 15" i7 with Incase CL57460 white hardshell case.

Used a 1/4" half round file to relieve the corner of the case.

Magsafe now fits snug as a bug... all ports clear.

Actually, the Magsafe cord now just touches the display cover--it's all a very close fit :D

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
I was a little bummed when my new Speck seethru case came and my magsafe didnt really work with it.

I also noticed that this new magsafes cord is very rigid and not easily managable.

To get mine to work with my computer i took a small round file rounded the inside of the edge of my case so the adapter would fit better, i will post pictures tonight

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
To get mine to work with my computer i took a small round file rounded the inside of the edge of my case so the adapter would fit better, i will post pictures tonight

That sounds interesting. I'm very eager to try that. Please post them soon.

Josh.C.123

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2009
London
No sharp edges and if there were I would have used a fine file or a an emery board.

reli? did you just use a knife?

EDIT: Woops just read all the way down... i dont have a file thingy at home, i have sand paper?

EDIT 2: i tried the sandpaper on the bottom of the incase first but it left marks, i rather not ruin the look of the case.. suppose ill have to turn it around

str8bucs

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
WV
New 15" i7 with Incase CL57460 white hardshell case.

Used a 1/4" half round file to relieve the corner of the case.

Magsafe now fits snug as a bug... all ports clear.

Actually, the Magsafe cord now just touches the display cover--it's all a very close fit :D

Lets see the pic!:D

Josh.C.123

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2009
London
I used a pair of utility scissors to cut the plastic. :eek: A Dremel would have worked to, but it would have seemed like overkill.

could u upload a pic if its not too much hastle? i thought with the drumel you would simply round of the edges of the case so it fitted and didnt stick out. if you cut it then doesnt the case not cling properly? sorry thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.