Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Because Apple isn't signing it anymore and you cannot reuse iOS 5 blobs on A5 devices, which the iPhone 4S is.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Intell is correct you have no option at this point but to restore to 5.1 sorry. Also as he has said shsh Blobs aren't working on the 4S. We only save them in the hopes it will be fixed.

justinjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Intell is correct you have no option at this point but to restore to 5.1 sorry. Also as he has said shsh Blobs aren't working on the 4S. We only save them in the hopes it will be fixed.

Is there some possibility that the 4s will be able to downgrade in the future? Are the devs actively working on something like that?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So then the iPhone did get bricked somehow?

A bricked iPhone is one that doesn't turn on, doesn't go into DFU mode, doesn't do anything but be an expensive paperweight. Unless your iPhone falls into one of those, it isn't bricked. Put it into DFU mode and restore it to iOS 5.1. This is the only thing you can do to it, besides keep your papers from flying around your desk.

Is there some possibility that the 4s will be able to downgrade in the future? Are the devs actively working on something like that?

A bootrom exploit is needed first. As of now, there are no public ones. They are looking for a bootrom exploit that could be used to make iOS 5 blobs reusable on A5 devices.

justinjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Thank you all VERY MUCH! Sadly, I'm running 5.1, but will back up and guard my blobs with my life.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.