92% battery health after just 3 weeks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Jul 25, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hi, i have a 2010 15" base model Macbook Pro and it has been 3 weeks since i bought it. And i haven't used it for 10 days because i was traveling and it wasn't with me. So i just used it for like 10-12 days. I calibrated it once i bought it. Coconut battery shows only 92% health , 10 cycles and 2 months of age.

for example it is full brightness right now, no keyboard backlight, no flash, just safari running, bluetooth off it is 88% and shows 5 hours remaining. No where near 8-10 hours. I have seen it go 6-7 hours the most when the brightness was low.

Also it's health was 100% after calibration and it was 97-99% before i left for travel. I came ack today, launched it after 9-10 days and 92% battery capacity.

2. vant macrumors 65816

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Don't worry, it will fluctuate a bit, especially when it's connected to the power cable for a long time or, in your case, not used for a while. I've just had my MBP replaced by Apple (originally a late 2008 15" model, now the current low-end 15") due to having to do several repairs in a couple weeks. My old computer was in with Apple for 8 days and was hooked up to the charger the entire time, and it showed - it was reporting 49% health when I got it back (down from 86% and 150 cycles when it went in). I let the computer fully die, charged it all the way back up without using it, and the health went all the way up to 89%. Before this, it would easily go back up into the high 90-percents. It all depends on how it's being used, how long it's on charge, temperature, etc. Your capacity will go back up.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I bought mine towards the end of March.

4 Cycles, 100% health.

I only use it on battery about once every 3-4 weeks just to keep it healthy.

Like others have said, i would see what it shows after you use it a bit more.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

That's normal. It's not completely accurate.

Just recalibrate it. And my guess is that it's not lasting the 8 hours mainly because you're on full brightness. And apples tests sre never accurate of real life use anyway.

7. elleana macrumors regular

Screen brightness is one of the greatest consumers of battery life. Run at half or less and you'll see great improvements in battery life.

8. Khryz macrumors 6502a

My 2007 Macbook still tells me I have 100% battery health. 345 cycles. O_O

9. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

You should learn to read the *, **, ***

... Apple clearly sates that battery life varies on use. All tests are made with 50% brightness and only light work (reading papers, safari without flash, ...).

5 hours on full brightness is at least 8hours on half brightness.

This column is to advertise with what is possible

Die neue MacBook Pro Familie besitzt eine revolutionäre Batterie, die mit einer Ladung bis zu 10 Stunden auskommt (8 bis 9 Stunden beim 15" und 17" MacBook Pro).1 Dank moderner chemischer Prozesse und einer innovativen Lademethode hat die Batterie jetzt eine Lebensdauer von bis zu 1000 Ladezyklen - dreimal mehr als bei typischen Notebook-Batterien.2 All dies gibt es in einem Notebook, das genau so dünn und leicht ist wie sein Vorgänger.

This column is to explain how they reached the numbers:

Die Tests für das 13" MacBook Pro wurden von Apple im März 2010 durchgeführt mit Prototypen von MacBook Pro Systemen mit 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Prozessoren. Die Tests für das 15" MacBook Pro wurden von Apple im März 2010 durchgeführt mit Prototypen von MacBook Pro Systemen mit 2,66 GHz Intel Core i7 Prozessoren. Die Tests für das 17" MacBook Pro wurden von Apple im März 2010 durchgeführt mit Prototypen von 17" MacBook Pro Systemen mit 2,53 GHz Intel Core i5 Prozessoren. Die Batterielaufzeit ist abhängig von der Konfiguration und Verwendung. Weitere Informationen unter www.apple.com/de/batteries. Für den netzunabhängigen Betrieb wurde die Batterielaufzeit beim drahtlosen Surfen auf verschiedenen Websites und beim Bearbeiten von Text in einem Textverarbeitungsdokument mit einer Bildschirmhelligkeit von 50 % gemessen.
    Nach Ablauf der einjährigen Herstellergarantie gibt Apple keine weitere Garantie auf die Batterie. Batterien haben eine begrenzte Anzahl von Ladezyklen und müssen irgendwann ersetzt werden. Die Gesamtlebensdauer der Batterie und die Laufzeit pro Ladezyklus sind abhängig von Konfiguration und Verwendung. Weitere Informationen unter www.apple.com/de/batteries.

New Notebook Batteries do last much longer than the ones 2 or more years ago, that is why apple made then NON user replaceable. If you drain your battery once a day ( like I do) the battery will nearly last 3 years. If health falls below 80% before 1000 Cycles your battery is defect and will be replaced by guarantee.

I btw have 5300mAh of 5450 mAh Capacity left after 150 loadcycles....

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. MrCooperS macrumors member

You think yours is weird? Mines is also 3 weeks old at 97% Health but it show that it's 124 months old. :D

[​IMG]

12. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

just goes to show that these things aren't always accurate

13. MrCooperS macrumors member

Coconut battery and iState Pro shows the same health. Is it still accurate? Maybe, maybe not. Am I bothered by it? No. I think the threshold to start worrying is if it dips below 85% health or something like that.

Don't worry about it and just use it. I feel like most people are often too carried away with the whole "cycling" and "when should I charge it" and "when should I calibrate it"...etc. I have a 4 year old MacBook with over 700 Cycles showing 97% battery health and I didn't calibrate it or baby it.

14. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Your battery health is not even close to 97% then ;)

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you haven't calibrated it, you have no way of knowing if the 97% is even remotely accurate.

16. MrCooperS macrumors member

I am assuming it's accurate only because from the time I've used it, it still lasts around the same amount of time as it did before.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly.

18. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

It says it 124 months old because you don't have the latest version of Coconut Battery. You have version 2.6.5, and the latest version, 2.6.6 solves this issue.

19. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Quit complaining and just live with it. It's not bad at all.

20. MrCooperS macrumors member

Ignorance is a bliss isn't it? :rolleyes: Even if I'm not assuming it's accurate, I can somewhat tell how healthy it is by seeing how long it lasts.

21. MrCooperS macrumors member

22. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Check mine out - 2007 Macbook:

[​IMG]

My battery capacity actually WENT UP! Lol.

This shows my battery is at 100% .. so does iStat Pro .. so does System Profiler.

Though I know it isn't because I get 3 hours max doing average work. Still funny though.

23. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

The capacity usually only goes up if you haven't calibrated it for a while.

24. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I did a week ago though. And I've done it about every 2 months since I got it. It's never told me it was below 100% at any point.

25. tim100 macrumors 65816

is that normal? a 3 week old mbp at 97% you would think 99-100% after calibration.