Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

164912-itunes_9_2_software_update.jpg

Apple today released iTunes 9.2 via Software Update and the company's website, bringing support for iPhone 4 and iOS 4 features, as well as several other enhancements.
iTunes 9.2 comes with several new features and improvements, including:

- Sync with iPhone 4 to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on-the-go

- Sync and read books with iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4 and iBooks 1.1

- Organize and sync PDF documents as books. Read PDFs with iBooks 1.1 on iPad and any iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4

- Organize your apps on your iOS 4 home screens into folders using iTunes

- Faster back-ups while syncing an iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4

- Album artwork improvements make artwork appear more quickly when exploring your library
The update also brings several security fixes, as detailed in an associated support document.

A beta version of iTunes 9.2 was seeded to developers at last week's Worldwide Developers Conference in order to support the new iOS 4 gold master candidate released at the event.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 9.2 With iPhone 4 and iOS 4 Support

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
This will be my first iTunes update since Jailbreaking my phone... I wont loose my jailbreak will I?

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
Don't Install iOS4 On A Jailbroken iPhone Until New Jailbreak Is Ready

This will be my first iTunes update since Jailbreaking my phone... I wont loose my jailbreak will I?
Yes you would lose your jailbreak. You need to wait for the iOS4 jailbreak solution and then you will have to start over with iOS4 install when you will lose everything you've got on your phone and then you will have to start over. :(

According to the post below you do NOT want to run this update to iPhone 9.2.

THIS KILLS jailbreaking and puts your phone in a boot loop if you are jailbroken with Spirit and update to iTunes 9.2.

STAY AWAY from this update if you are jailbroken!!

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
If you install i0S 4.0 now, do third party applications support multitasking already?

MattWylde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
THIS KILLS jailbreaking and puts your phone in a boot loop if you are jailbroken with Spirit and update to iTunes 9.2.

STAY AWAY from this update if you are jailbroken!!

JGar

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Should get it with 4.0
iBooks 1.1 is going to run on the iPad as well and it's not getting the 4.0 upgrade until this fall so I don't think it's really "tied" to 4.0 in any way (but it is dependent on iTunes 9.2).

Gleemen

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Yes you would lose your jailbreak. You need to wait for the iOS4 jailbreak solution and then you will have to start over with iOS4 install when you will lose everything you've got on your phone and then you will have to start over. :(

But updating iTunes to 9.2 won't hurt your phone.

The version of iTunes doesn't mess with it right? Just the iOS on the phone.

SirROM

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Maybe Apple Will Like My Idea...

I was thinking the same thing... sure would make
things easier next week for everyone activating i4's
if they'd let us 3G/3GS users go ahead and get our
iOS4 upgrades out of the way ;)

I think they should release iOS4 tomorrow (if it is truly finished) as part of a "sorry for your trouble" to make up for yesterday and pleasantly surprise people that are having to wait 2-3 more weeks.

Also, ship iBooks 1.1 while your are at it! Steve could even "one more thing" us with updated iWork apps that work on the iPhone.

ssanders79

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
Celebration, Fl
I was thinking the same thing... sure would make
things easier next week for everyone activating i4's
if they'd let us 3G/3GS users go ahead and get our
iOS4 upgrades out of the way ;)

iOS 4 comes out on Monday 6/21.

I like the way they are rolling it out. iTunes first, then iOS 4 then iPhone 4 activations it gives apple servers a break. It is better than everything coming out on the same day causing a meltdown like yesturday.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Very nice! I will be synching a bunch of PDF hiking maps via iBooks. (Air Sharing worked well for storing viewing/PDFs, but it didn’t sync like iTunes.)

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Wow it's insanely fast to browse through album artwork. They increased the speed like 10x. I can scroll through album artwork like I can scroll through listings now. Good job finally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.