Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
Considering both this 3G and some of the i4's on youtube showing this have been jailbroken, I wonder if that attributes to the problem.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Bump, this is important everyone needs to watch this and spread it around and just relax...

I think gizmodo is really hoping for this story to blow up, they just love for all things iPhone to look bad.

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
My phone doesn't do that at all. I updated to iOS4 yesterday and I still have full bars. Don't really know if that's accurate, but the bars are there. lol even when I grasp it, nothing happens.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
that still does not discount the fact that it's a software issue.

It could be an APP, or a setting, that these specific groups of people are having turned on, or installed that is causing this, and it's obvious it's also related to iOS4.

it's obviously not an iPHone 4 hardware band problem, if a 3G iPhone is doing the same thing.

stuckinneutral

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
i could not reproduce this issue on my 3GS.... but i really hope its a software issue because my iPhone 4 comes in tomorrow and this antenna issue and the color spots have me very worried.. just hoping for the best right now.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
it proves that it is not the new design of the iPhone 4, yet a software problem that is easily fixable by APpple

this proves A LOT

The fact that not everyone can reproduce this, does not help the software being the issue, case.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
i could not reproduce this issue on my 3GS.... but i really hope its a software issue because my iPhone 4 comes in tomorrow and this antenna issue and the color spots have me very worried.. just hoping for the best right now.

I am theorizing that some people might have a certain SETTING turned on that is causing all of this. and also iOS4.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Posted by someone from the iPhone blog.

"
Ashere says:
June 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm
Hey i just did the same thing on my 3gs. I don’t know how but this has to be a software problem.

"

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Ok, just brought my development iPhone (3G - 4.0) out of the black room.

I cannot, and repeat, cannot reproduce this on this iPhone.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Ok, just brought my development iPhone (3G - 4.0) out of the black room.

I cannot, and repeat, cannot reproduce this on this iPhone.

There are however people doing it on 3G's

and also 3Gs's

and there's videos of each.

vkramer

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
I tried this at home and was able to recreate these results. At home I have 2 iphone 4's a MacBook Pro connecting via an Airport Extreme BaseStation. I went outside my house away from wi-fi range and was unable to decrease my signal bars. 3g signal was perfect.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
There are however people doing it on 3G's

and also 3Gs's

and there's videos of each.

Which doesn't indicates a software issue, but more of a hardware issue, since, that is the component in the system that is not 100% standardised.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Which doesn't indicates a software issue, but more of a hardware issue, since, that is the component in the system that is not 100% standardised.

What???

So what you're implying is that Everyone with iPhone 3G models and 3Gs models could have had this problem this WHOLE time, but never realized it until now??

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
What???

So what you're implying is that Everyone with iPhone 3G models and 3Gs models could have had this problem this WHOLE time, but never realized it until now??

Yes and no. This issue was only reported with the iPhone 4 initially, not when the software was installed on previous generation hardware. It's interesting that no one noticed it, but did notice it on the iPhone 4.

Each operating environment in the video tests is likely to be different. For me to rule out hardware as an issue, both units must have the exact same hardware, or extremely closely-relating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.