Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombiedictator

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
So I just got my bumper case and lucky me, my Griffin USB car charger cable doesn't fit as it's too big. Has anyone had any luck in finding a 3rd party USB cable that fits? Obviously the Apple cable fits but $20 for a cable is absurd.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
I would like to know this as well. Typically 3rd party cables can be picked up for 1-3 dollars a piece, but i would like to make sure and order some that fit with the bumper. Anyone have any ideas?

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
I posted in another section about having problems with third party USB cables. Apparently the Apple USB cable has a longer metal end. I have returned two USB cables and a car charger, because they would not make contact when plugged in. They fit, but the 30 pin end was not long enough.

Today I picked up another cable, same problem. Took off the bumper, no problem.

This is a problem. Dremel might be coming out tomorrow morning.

og3og

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Yonkers, NY USA
If you have an extra apple usb and a usb car charger you can just use them together. I took an extra usb I had from an old iphone (they work with bumpers) and just plugged that into the adapter.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
So I just got my bumper case and lucky me, my Griffin USB car charger cable doesn't fit as it's too big. Has anyone had any luck in finding a 3rd party USB cable that fits? Obviously the Apple cable fits but $20 for a cable is absurd.

the MONOPRICE 6ft USB ipod/iphone/ipad cable DOES NOT FIT the iPhone 4 with the BUMPER cover on!!!

The stock 3ft cables do fit perfectly.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I desperately need an extension cable (also known as the dock extender) so I can connect my iPhone+bumper car. Do any exist yet for the bumper compatibility?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I have several 3rd party USBs and NONE of them fit. I even had a problem with a 3rd party USB and the Candyshell case by Speck before I returned it. The 3rd party USB would have to be identical to the Apple OEM. The ones dhartung02 posted are dead on and would fit.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
If you have an extra apple usb and a usb car charger you can just use them together. I took an extra usb I had from an old iphone (they work with bumpers) and just plugged that into the adapter.

Some older Apple 30 pin connectors DO NOT work with the bumper case. I have an older connector with a larger connector piece (probably from a 3G or older iPod) that do not connect properly.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Im thinking about giving some of those meritline ones a shot. The quality may be a lot cheaper than apples, but at 2 dollars a pop, im will to take a chance on them. Hopefully they fit, cause i currently have a ton of cables that dont! lol

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Buy a iPhone then you need to buy a case, buy a bumper then you need to buy all new cables, buy all new Apple cables then you need to buy.......

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Just received a reply from an ebay seller on this item. Take it for what you will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160449028053&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Dhartung02's Question:
Will these fit the new iPhone 4 while wearing a bumper? Are they exactly the same size as the Stock OEM Apple USB sync cables that come with the iPhone?

Wireless_emporium's Answer"
Thank you for contacting us. As long as the bumper/cover you are using has an opening for the charging port then yes this will fit. It is the same as the original cable that came with your phone. If you have any further questions please contact us.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
I ordered a set from both ebay and meritline. I'll let everyone know how the fit. I also ordered a dock extender, but i got it before i got my bumper, and i am pretty sure it isnt going to fit. I may have to take a dremel to it. If anyone finds a dock extender that works. please let me know.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
What USB extension cable do you have that fits the bumper? I need one.

It's just a standard USB extension cable. You can get one on Amazon or wherever. Nothing to do with Apple. It plugs into the charger, and then you plug the USB Apple cable into it. It's just a USB Male to Female cable.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
No they don't. I have the Monoprice 6ft white cable, and it does not fit the bumper. I had to use a USB extension cable.

I didn't say yours did, I said mine does. Not sure why you think you know how my cable and my bumper work together but here is the proof for you since you seem to think you know how my stuff works.

IMG_4721.jpg

Here is also a pic of my bumper so you can see that I didn't modify that it any way.

IMG_4729.jpg

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I didn't say yours did, I said mine does. Not sure why you think you know how my cable and my bumper work together but here is the proof for you since you seem to think you know how my stuff works.

IMG_4721.jpg

Well that sure as heck looks like mine. :) Mine does the same, except it doesn't lock in. Care to take a photo with it hanging upside down from the cable? :p

jwwpua

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
SOLUTION: fingernail file + 3-5 minutes

I filed down both sides of my 3rd party's 30-pin connector, and it goes in + locks perfectly.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Just received a reply from an ebay seller on this item. Take it for what you will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160449028053&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Dhartung02's Question:
Will these fit the new iPhone 4 while wearing a bumper? Are they exactly the same size as the Stock OEM Apple USB sync cables that come with the iPhone?

Wireless_emporium's Answer"
Thank you for contacting us. As long as the bumper/cover you are using has an opening for the charging port then yes this will fit. It is the same as the original cable that came with your phone. If you have any further questions please contact us.

I received this cable today and can confirm that it fits perfectly with the iPhone wearing a bumper. It is very nice quality and seems to be nearly identical to the Apple original. The only difference is the USB port has a rounded back as opposed to the squared back of the new i4 version. They shipped it very quickly and was very happy with the transaction. I am still waiting on the Meritline order and don't expect them to get here for another week or so. I will probably order a couple more from this Ebay seller. You can never have too many of these cables laying around.

herdinoh

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010

you can buy Apple one on ebay for 6 dollars.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I received this cable today and can confirm that it fits perfectly with the iPhone wearing a bumper. It is very nice quality and seems to be nearly identical to the Apple original. The only difference is the USB port has a rounded back as opposed to the squared back of the new i4 version. They shipped it very quickly and was very happy with the transaction. I am still waiting on the Meritline order and don't expect them to get here for another week or so. I will probably order a couple more from this Ebay seller. You can never have too many of these cables laying around.

That's terrific! Was waiting for someone to find an inexpensive cable that would work (thanks for being the guinea pig). I just ordered two for $5 each. Now I can use any 3rd party car or home charger (like my existing Griffins) as long as they accept a USB cable, and just swap theirs out with these. Perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.